Whats the best low cost rye?

PAspirit1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been looking for the Ritt BIB, but haven't found it yet. In fact, most of the stores I go in to give me a funny look when I tell them what I am looking for. However, I do see the JB Rye everywhere, and Dr's post reconfirms my decision not to buy the JB Rye.:grin:

I would also include Michters US1 Single barrel, about the same price and taste as Saz 6yr, $22-$24 Chicago area. Michters has another higher $ rye but I have'nt tried it yet.

I would also include Michters US1 Single barrel, about the same price and taste as Saz 6yr, $22-$24 Chicago area. Michters has another higher $ rye but I have'nt tried it yet.

Now that you mention it I did see Michters at one stop I made. I didn't recognize it and passed it over. I plan on looking for the Ritt BIB at this place again, so I will pay more attention to the Michters this time!

I have been looking for the Ritt BIB, but haven't found it yet. In fact, most of the stores I go in to give me a funny look when I tell them what I am looking for. However, I do see the JB Rye everywhere, and Dr's post reconfirms my decision not to buy the JB Rye.:grin:

It's around town in most bigger stores, although it seems to be going up a buck every few months. Going rate seems to be about $15.99, although I've seen it up around $20 in some places.

Wow, I guess Denver does has it's drawbacks. $11.99 at Binnys in the Chicago area. And the 100 is better than the 80.

Wow, I guess Denver does has it's drawbacks. $11.99 at Binnys in the Chicago area. And the 100 is better than the 80.

I went looking for the Ritt this weekend. Both places I know carry it were sold out.:smiley_acbt:

The Ritt was going for $15 and the Mitchners was around $34. Since he Ritt was out I went with the WT Rye at $16.

I went looking for the Ritt this weekend. Both places I know carry it were sold out.:smiley_acbt:

The Ritt was going for $15 and the Mitchners was around $34. Since he Ritt was out I went with the WT Rye at $16.

Well, at least you got a good price on the WT. It's $22 here.

I like the Saz 6yr, it's smoother and more aromatic. $22 here.

• 2 weeks later...
My vote would be Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Excellent value.

The stuff made at 354 or the stuff from 32?

Joe :usflag:

I have a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB from dsp 354 - I bought it for 17.99 in eastern kansas where I live. Is dsp 354 or 32 the better of the distillierys for this whiskey?

• 3 weeks later...

For me not just because it was a product from when I worked at Kinsey but in pure Flavor taste and Enjoyment Rittenhouse Rye be it the 100 BIB or the flavorful 8o Proof it can not be beat still the best. I would not buy JB Rye but admit their version of Old Overholt would be and has been my second choice!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

------------------------------------------------------

I have a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB from dsp 354 - I bought it for 17.99 in eastern kansas where I live. Is dsp 354 or 32 the better of the distillierys for this whiskey?

DSP 31 is HH.

Dave, when did HH buy RittenHouse?

Jeff around Early1980 or a little after that. Bought some Product, Bottles Recipy and Brand neme rights. They quit making Whiskeys for themselves then they quit bottling in 1979 but made some product yet and had lots of Left over tax paid stuff to get rid of that year. I have papers I found there stating thousands of Cases of Product to get rid of they were trying to have the Government give back tax money and turn some into Industrial. They had the stills running down there till 1985 but Whiskey stopped around 1980 and bottling their own product 1979. I will take a look at some of my Papers and see what they had on stock I do know they had 400,000 cases of Amareta Lolita there they were trying to move they had some bad Governors club they wanted the Government to let them redistill. Till 1979 all Rittenhouse Rye was a Continental Product. How long before HH got it up and running after they bought it I do not know and How much Rye by barrel Product they bought if any I do not know but they were distilling and making some whiskeys in Phila for a bit in the early 1980's and selling them to companys besides Making Antifreeze bringing it to Kinsey and bottling it there and Industrial Alcohol, cleaners and other product there hope then was to become like P&G only better because they could make and bottle their own product.

Dave

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

------------------------------------------------

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.