Riedel Vivant - On sale at Target!

mythrenegade
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Riedel's Vivant Bourbon glasses are on closeout at my local Target for $9.98, regular price $39.99. I have always wanted a set of proper bourbon glasses, but never felt like springing for them at $40. At $10 I snapped them up. I don't know if only my Target is closing them out or if all of them are, but it's worth checking if you are even remotely interested...

Joel

PS - We also picked up three sets of two red wine glasses + decanter for $10 each, and a set of dessert wine glasses...

Thanks for the "heads up", Joel.

I have to go into town sometime early this week to have a couple 40 pound LP cylinders filled for our space heater and to pay a seat belt

fine.:rolleyes: Gosh, I'm such an outlaw. Anyway, I like the looks of the Riedel Vivant snifters sold at Target. They to, are regularly priced at 40 dollars for 4. Was The bourbon glasses the only item on close out? either way, maybe I'll snag some new glassware.

DOH! I just bought 3 more (to make it 9) for $7 each on eBay.....

... and I just left target an hour ago DOH! DOH!...

Thanks for the heads up... I will have to get some extra in case I break any....

My closest Target is in another state!

Yes, there are Targets in Louisville, but the one in Clarksville, Indiana, is closer to me.

Was The bourbon glasses the only item on close out? either way, maybe I'll snag some new glassware.

At our target there were six things on closeout. One was completely gone, no idea what it was.

(1) Bourbon Glasses

(2) Tequila Glasses

(3) Dessert Drink Glasses

(4) Two red wine glasses with a decanter

(5) A Decanter

(6) ???

We bought a set of bourbon glasses, a set of the dessert drink glasses (called spirits glasses), and three sets of the two glasses + decanter. No need for the tequila glasses or the solo decanter.

I have thought about driving the 20 miles or so to the next closest target to see what the sixth item was :-)

Joel

Just ran out at lunch and they had one set at the Target by work! They are $19.95 for 4 here but that was still better that $39.99. I grabbed them.

At our target there were six things on closeout. One was completely gone, no idea what it was.

(1) Bourbon Glasses

(2) Tequila Glasses

(3) Dessert Drink Glasses

(4) Two red wine glasses with a decanter

(5) A Decanter

(6) ???

Joel

The 6th item was the Double Old-Fashioned Glasses.

Which..by the way.....why do they call them 'double' old-fashioned?

I can't find the Two red wine glasses witha decanter anywhere.

Stopped at my local Target and they had one set of bourbon left. The red tag said Reg. 49.99 Clearance 27.88 but when I used the customer scanner it said 9.98. Now I have a set.

Score another victory for Straight Bourbon dot com! I'm glad you guys were able to pick them up instead of someone who might fill them with ... gasp ... Jack Daniels :-)

Joel

Do people like these glasses? I just picked up a set of the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon Glasses from Amazon a month ago. I split the set with a friend. We both have found that our favorite pours are less interesting in these glasses. My normal glass is a smallish snifter that I got from Cost Plus.

Has anyone tried both the Ouverture and the Vivant? I'm curious if the Vivant is better. For $10, it seems hard to go wrong.

Do people like these glasses? I just picked up a set of the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon Glasses from Amazon a month ago. I split the set with a friend. We both have found that our favorite pours are less interesting in these glasses. My normal glass is a smallish snifter that I got from Cost Plus.

Has anyone tried both the Ouverture and the Vivant? I'm curious if the Vivant is better. For $10, it seems hard to go wrong.

Tim, these glasses are the same! Riedel did not come out with a new glass they have just added it to the Vivant series which is only sold at Target! Same glass!

I found (3) sets Bourbon and (2) sets Double Old Fashion today for $52 I got them all!!

The Double Old Fashion is exactly that...it hold twice as much as an Old Fashion!

Tony

Thanks for the tip on the double old fashioned. I went back and there was a set but they weren't marked as on sale. I hit the price scanner: $9.98! So those are now in my truck :grin:

My wife picked up a second set of the spirit glasses because we do tend to pour port at the end of the night when we host parties, so those will be useful. I stuck with only one set of the bourbon glasses as I typically drink bourbon by myself and I don't really need more than four glasses...

Joel

I really like them. They are similar to what I used to use, which were small glasses from Stag's Leap, a high end winery in Napa Valley (the one that put Napa on the map, in fact). I broke my last Stag's Leap glass a few months ago, so these are a very nice replacement.

But to each their own. If you prefer it from the snifter, use it! I bought the double old fashioned glasses for when I want to drink it on the rocks, which is about 75% of the time...

Joel

I assume then that the SPIRITS glasses are more of a universal glass? Can be used for spirits or desert wine?

I see that Riedel recommends that glass for a lot of spirits. Including drinking Cointreau neat. Which is really a delightful liqueur.

If thats the case, I'll purchase maybe an additional 4 more.

I did buy the Tequila glass. If I'm going to have a Riedel collection, and drink elegantly, there is no reason why I'm going to drink or have my guests drink Tequila in shot glasses. I bought Tres Mujeres Reposado Tequila and I really enjoy it neat. But I was having it in a shot glass.

I really hope Target marks down the rest of the line.

Hit three Louisville Targets today and found different prices in each. No bourbon glasses in any of them. I guess that figures. $19.99 for the tequila and spirits glasses in two, $9.99 for them in the third. I bought just the decanter in one for $9.99, where the one with glasses was $19.99, then saw the one with glasses for $9.99 in the third. I don't more wine glasses, anyway.

And, yes, I hit the price scanner on all of them. In fact, I hit the price scanner on every one of the glasses. I really liked the water pitcher, but it's not on sale, nor are the cognac glasses. If I get a chance I will hit some more targets tomorrow. There are a couple more in Louisville and one in Clarksville.

I picked up a set a couple of weeks ago. I didn't plan to buy them at $40. But I snapped them up at $10. The sweet thing is I had a $10 off coupon so I gues I could say I got them for free. Now should I look to pick up another set?

To save everyone time you can go to target.com search for bourbon glasses and then locate a store nearby that has them in stock. Good luck

Nice idea, but the site says the glasses aren't available in stores before I even give it a location.

I wanted to give thanks for the tip on the Riedel Vivant series glasses on sale at Target. Managed to find 4 bourbon sets and a couple of nice decanter/2 wine glass sets. Now I don't have to worry so much about breaking my current Riedel bourbons (and yes, the Vivants appear to be the identical glass). Passed on the DOF glasses, as I didn't like the bottom etching. Many thanks!

-Kevin

I too would like to pass on a thanks for the tip. I've been trying several glasses and feel and am very satisfied with the Riedel bourbon glasses. I had to trek around to three Target stores last Friday looking for them and finally at the third store they had one set remaining. $10, what a steal! Thanks again.

-Tim

You are all welcome! I figured that straight bourbon members deserve to buy these things over the general public! I was really excited by the find.

Joel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.