Old Potrero 18th Century

Solomon2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A taste like no other bourbon or rye I've ever had, but quite similar to some fruit brandies I've had before, like aged cherry or even Slivovitz. I wonder what they could possibly have in common?

I definitely see the resemblance to Slivovitz. It's basically the raw taste of any spirit distilled at a fairly low proof and either unaged or only lightly aged. I'd put grappa in there too. You really realize you are drinking something made from a lot of plant material.

Old Potrero 18th Century is 124.3 proof. That's not low in anyone's book. I also have a bottle of 150 proof Bacardi and it tastes totally different from Sliv or OP. No, I don't think it's the proof at work here.

He means that it's a low distillation proof. Lower proof liquors generally have had a lot of water added by the time they get to the bottle, both before aging, if they are aged, and again before bottling.

Yeah, as evidenced by the fact that I wrote "distilled at a fairly low proof."

That's where flavor comes from, low proof distillation. "Low" means 140 proof, give or take. High distillation proof spirits are neutral, i.e., vodka. As for Bacardi, it's all distilled at about 190 proof, so even the 151 has water added, just not as much as the 80 proof.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.