The Kinsey Fire Observation Room

dave ziegler

Last night I talked to Ludy I went to see him to give him a laminated copy of the Picture I took of His name on the Mantaince Barn Wall. While I was there I told him about me having the Title to the Old Mack Fire Engine that Continental Had. I remembered it being really Old and It did not have a cab it was open. I asked him who bought the Mack and he said it was from the Mid 1930's and That Jacob G Kinsy Bought it new and when Continental Bought Kinsey They did alot of Upgrades to it and It was the Only Fire Engine They ever Had! I remember it was very Long and had a giant Steering Wheel and Cal Roberts And Harry Martin would drive through the Plant every Week in it no Matter How cold there they were sitting on the big Bench seat out in the open. It was loud and you could hear it coming easy, It had a giant Six under the Hood from what I remember and was bright Red as it should be.

Ludy also said they would back it part way through the wall into the #10 Barn after they Quit Bottling there right bedside where the #10 Tanks were to keep it out of Bad weather.

Sometimes They would blow the siren for fun when we saw them as they were both very Nice Man and they knew the bussiness of watching and protecting from fires very Well. Somtimes Stan Stofoniwtiz would stand n the back too! It would have been them that went up the Fire tower every so offten to look in all directions and they were always checking the Hydrents and when we were burning out the racks one of them would always be there with an exstingueser ready for trouble.

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest people drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Fricky When I started there all 14 of the 15 Expolsion proof Warehouses had The Haeviest Steel Barrel racks I have ever seen all built in the 1940's made to be indestructable and able to hold 333,000 Barrles per floor! The Company Hired Pearsol Pine enginering company out of Oaks Pa to cut the racks down. To cut them you had to remove all the Steel Rails in them first. To remove them they had such Heavy Welds that Pearsol Pine Had to bring in a Special Welding Rod Cutter to cut the Welds. Then They had regular Cutting torches to cut the rest of the racks in sections. They had it all engineried so that each section would come down the same in Bulk heads. Harry and some times Cal or Stan would always be there on watch as the Cement Floors even though no barrels right there were soaked with years of Leaking whiskey and the upper floor still had racks full till they got to them.

We did the second & Third floors last as the racks had to be lowered by A hand chain crane off of a steel beam on the roof from the second & Third floor roll doors and then loaded. It was the yard Gangs job when this was going on to Load them and take them on a wagon pulled by an old Ford 8'N tractor down to the steer pens where they were put inside out of the weather as the Pens had great roofs on them back then. The first floors we would take them right out the back Dock Roll door as you did not have a door way and could carry them right to the Wagon backed in to the Dock. The front dock was a little harder you had to walk around the Elevator but depending where we were on the floor we took them out through the front dock Roll door if we were at the front of the warehouse.

I worked there 5 1/2 yrs + and they started this in my second year and they were still doing it when I left and having been in all the 14 warehouses Since, they finished the Job before they quit the bussiness! I am sure they were not happy with the results as the Giant Barrels leaked plenty. They leaked through the Heads as they sat upright.

If you Look at some of my Pictures of the Warehouses on the one side always the right side in most cases facing the buildings front Dock they have a chain & Tackle Beam on the roofs to use a hoist to take things up or down. Every thing that was needed up there like the first floors had to be put up outside through the Big doors on each of the upper floors. On most of the warehouses the beam is still sticking out to put the chain and tackle on! This was because the Elevators in the Buildings Had cradles only to roll 48 & 50 Gal barrels on or smaller. There was no other way to get big things up stiars unless it was something small and light you could carry up the flights of Stairs.

Taking the racks out was hard work as we took them in Bulkhead sections and it took 4 People one on each corner to get them out to the Wagon then we had to unload them at the steer Pens and put them under cover Continental never through things away as offten they would find other uses for things!. We would stand them in rows under cover leaning back till the Pen was full. If you have any more questions please ask as thinking back on things I think of other stuff sometimes.

Dave Z

It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

The year was Jan 21 1985 and Publicker had been doing Antifreeze and Household Cleaners since 1980 at Linfield at the 1966 Bottling house and at the Old Bigler Street Bottle House In Phila. It was Publickers Idea and committment to take on the Huge household Cleaner industry. They picked the Gleckler Spiegel Advertising Company to to Help They planed on spending 4 million a year which at that time was nothing for P&G to spend but alot for Publicker.

They were full tilt down in Phila producing Products but something went very wrong and by Early 1986 They closed and sold their Plant in phila dropped the lease they had at Kinsey which they had sold in 1980 and had leased the Bottling and some warehouses and all the tankage till early 1986. What went wrong alot of things One selling Kinsey was a mistake as leasing cost them way to much from the man who bought the Place and now has left in Ruin all these years.Two the timing was to late to get into the Cleaners Industry and when it was too late they could not go back to making drinking Alcohol and were not generating enough money from Industrial Alcohol by then.

I truely think that if Mr Neuman had not died they never would have gone that route or if they had it would have been while still making the Products to Drink we were famous for Distillling In Phila and Bottling in Linfield Pa.

A sad day and a sad end for the Worlds Largest Maker of Drinking & Industrial Alcohols.

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Walking around the Plant yesterday taking the Pictures of the Plant I posted on my other thread I was amazed at all the wild Life I saw Birds of every Kind, Deer, a Red Fox ran away when I went to go in the #10 Rye Building. Kinsey is just like it was way back when I worked there as far as Wild Life and good fresh air from the river below. Back then everything was so well kept that it really breaks my Heart to see Buildings falling down and the Big Hole in the Fire Tower Building Q and Our Lunch room destroyed by Kids! And My Old Dsp-Pa. - #12 Gone forever!

I go as offten as I can and just like the 43 Pictures I posted late Last night on page 23 of the other thread I will keep crawling and looking for good shots so that everyone can get a feel for how the place was way back then.

It is easy to see Why Si Neuman Loved the place it just has a way about it and when the lawns were perfect and Flower beds and the Buildings all looking good there was No Better Place to work. 600 people worked there when I did and of the One's still living I have talked to everyone of them has said it was the most wonderful place they ever worked.

There is a magic about the Kinsey Distillery and I am trying to preserve it for History and will keep at it!

Dave Z

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey

Join The Swing To Kinsey

Here are some shots back 3/4 the way toward the Steer Pens of the warehouses and tankage and the Fire Observation Tower Plus inside Warehouse T Building of Bottles sitting and rotting and the Barrel Elevator and its switches.

Pic 1. Thru 8 The Fire observation tower It is weird in that the top building on it so you could see across the Roof has a window that way and heat but must have had a grating for floor and if you at picture 8 of the far side of the tower you can see it is sealed well where that grating was to look out that window is a shaft that goes to the bottom of the tower and no way in or out of it! WQhen I took the Pictures up in it my Buddy Don went up the ladder on the side and looked in and took the opictures showing heat and the window and a big hole where the grating used to be!

Pic 9 & 10 Looking Toward the steer Pens out back from the Tower on the ground.

Last Pic #20 The Back water tower Note what was a sight Gauge on the side of the tank to make sure it is full enough water from the Pump House I took pictures of on the Memories thread would have traveled on poured cement Posts in large Pipes to this tower. This summer they cut all the pipes out. I will post a picture of where the pipes used to travel on the Memories thread later.

Pic 11. Scale and weigh house

Pic 12. Warehouse T

Pic 13. thru 17 inside warehouse T cases of empty bottles never used The Barrel Elevator and its explosion proof Switch

Pic 18 & 19. The Scale House again it is arcoss from Warehouse #38 the only Warehouse with a number instead of Letter it had a big Dump trough in it and whiskey could go striaght to the Scale weigh house. There was also a rail track to right behind the scale building to tranfer Whiskey from a tanker, all this at the very back of the plant. Whiskey traveled from almost every part of the plant to the Bottling house those days!

Pic 20. The Two big storage tanks going back toward the front of the plant.

Dave Z

Philadelphia The Heritage Whiskey

Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss

Hallers County Fair Kentucky Bourbon

post-1964-14489814829381_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814829647_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814829929_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814830188_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814830449_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814830855_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814831122_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814831535_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814831806_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814832208_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814832589_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814832989_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814833403_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814833704_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814834089_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814834505_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814834918_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814835336_thumb.jpg

Here are some more Plant Pictures walking toward the front of the Plant!

1.& 2. Warehouse H last of the Old Warehouses build by Jacob G Kinsey in 1936

3. Warehouse G & F right behind H Ludy Told Me that Warehouses G,F, D,E all had Freight elevators and I thought I remembered that but wanted to make sure I was right. The first two ever built A & B built in 1892 which I will post some pictures of in the Memories,

Thread Had what Ludy Called a special Hoist to bring the Barrels down from the top level to the Bottom it

was a Y shaped Chain one Hook went on the Eletric Motor on the roof inside and the other end had 2 special Hooks you caught on each side of the Head and then you pulled the Chain and lowered the Full barrel or took a full barrel up. I asked him how many crashed back then He said none He could ever remember back in the 30's 40's and 50's. They did not use those two warehouses any more in the 1970's as to dangerous to be lowering Barrels that way I guess!

4. & 5. Old Piles of barrel Staves sitting next to Warehouse H

6. & 7. Warehouse H note on the Last Picture close up that is the only Dock the Building has and that is the only Way in and Out of it by the big heavy Metal Door. It was in this Building That I found all the Fire Drill papers from the once a month Drills I have them from the 1950's I will post a couple some time The Fire House was built right next to these three Warehouses.

Dave Z

post-1964-14489814852516_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814852919_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814853319_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814853743_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814877739_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814878186_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814878588_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981487901_thumb.jpg

Here are some more Shots taken last Sunday walking back from the Fire Inlet pump Building I found.

1. Stair case in Scale and weigh building across from Warehouse #38 at the far back of the plant

2. Different Type of Explosion Proof Switch in Scale Building

3. Back side of Scale Building

4. Another shot of Scale Building

5. Old Posts from When Jacob G Kinsey Had wooden Rails in these Posts there is a famous Post card for Angelo Myers / Kinsey with this fence line

6. Looking back down at the front ward section of the Plant from the Road to the Steer Pen area

7. One of two Tanks in Scale and Weigh House

8. Capacity Plates on both tanks in scale & Weigh House

9. Looking up at paltform above the Tanks in scale house

10.Back water tank note sight gauge hanging down the side

11. The old Light hood from Dickies Shop I brought it home it was the only Light in there!

12.Large Tanks looking from the back and the Fir tree I used to mulch when I worked in the Yard Gang.

I always love trying to get as many shots of things there in different -angles to give you all an Idea of How the place looked when it operated

it is such a big Place I aways seem to find things I do not remember or things I did not remember and want everyone to see!

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink old Hickory

post-1964-1448981490881_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814909084_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814909355_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814909777_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981491021_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814910491_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814910895_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814911166_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814911593_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814912006_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814937855_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814938144_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814938561_thumb.jpg

In talking to People Engineers ect where I work now They have made it clear to me that Kinsey Distillery from all I told them was the Most Safe from fire Distillery in the world at the time the New Bottling House opened in Fall 1965! The fire expert here at work was amazed that they even had explosion proof Phone's for emergencys in parts of the Plant and New Bottling house. They Had every Possiblle angle covered back then, and that is why we never had any Fires of any type while Publicker owned the Plant. Hydrants were tested on a weekly basis and opened up.

They had Monthly Fire drills with the Local Fire dept and whenever there was any burning there were fire watchers. Add to that the Fire tower and the big pump house down in the woods and the Hydrants all through the woods and it was amazing the thought that went into it all! It is sad that Heaven Hills did not have these things and their Old Distillery would still be there or least more of it. If they would have put in Sprinklers in those old wooden Warehouses as Publicker did back in the early 1940's.

When I worked there we never even thought about a fire because we were so positive that it could be controled and handled if it ever happened.

Dave Z

Philadelphia The Heritage Whiskey

I got back to Kinsey today even though it was very cold out. I got about 110 pictures which I am going to post this week on this thread and the other two. I got some great shots of the Grain building and the old steel worm that took the grain to the still with my new camera, Also I found a large sign to heavy to carry but I turned it over and got a picture it says Kinsey Distilling Corp Distillery #10 Pa I will post it on the Memories thread tomorrow. I have some great shots of Old Abandon Cases of Bottles in Building J and some great shots to post of the Fire pile in building L where at one time there were thousands on bottles of Liqour Abandon but kids set it afire and it all burned up leaving a pile of burnt Bottles. This must have happened years before I got back as there is no smell of fire just the burnt stuff and marks on the wall and the building is fine it most have burned itself out all those years ago. I will post stuff starting tomorrow.

Also some great shots in the 1966 Bottling house and some greatt shots of Singer Bottling Machines!

Dave Z

Dave, I would check every boxed case of whiskey bottles..just to be sure you did not stumble on a motherload of product !!!! I bet when you first saw those pallets your heart jumped!

P.S. do you see other people there? Are there any security walk throughs? What does the local government do with it.....is it condemned property? I can't believe it can sit there....for years...without some kind of government action.

Jono it has been sitting this way since 1986 when the guy that bought it from Continental leased it to them for bottling Antifreeze and other Industrial stuff! When they gave up partly because he jumped the price up on the lease and because they had made a bad error in selling it and quiting the Whiskey Distilling business.

The guy just shut everything off and abandoned it but must still pay taxes! Those Cases are empty never filled.

I will post some whiskey burned up pictures in Building L here at the end .

Picture 1. a letter talking about something I have talked about a few times here the giant Wooden Barrels that Continental used for a while as a experiment it states they were 337 gal barrels of whiskey.

Here are pictures of Building J inside piles and piles of cased bottles that were never filled!

Pictures 2 tru 10 then pict 11 an old fork lift then pict 12 another case shot.

I found the name of an old Friend written on the elevator Bill Walters I bought my First Pickup truck off of Bill when I worked there a 1941 Chevy with a Caddy Steering wheel!

Next pict is the Barrel Elevator in Building J

then I stood on the fire escape Plaform and took a picture out at the other building backs.

The last pictures are in Building L which was where they stored whiskey that they did not sell when they went to Antifreeze Bottling! These Piles at one time must have been up to the sealing but long before i got there Kids had set all the full bottles on fire. Nothing left but piles of Burned Liquors and Wine and whiskey. It must have happened many years before I got there as even 2 yrs ago there was no smell of smoke. Boy it sure would have been nice to have got some of that stuff before that happened and it must have just burned itself out and never did anything to really hurt the building.

Last pict is of Electric Switches in the building.

This new camera of mine is amazing it how good these pictures taken in total darkness turn out!

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

post-1964-14489814955566_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814955838_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814956297_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814956728_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814957148_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814957414_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814957677_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814958087_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814958474_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814958863_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814959257_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814959529_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814959914_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981496031_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814960717_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814961113_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981496138_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814961769_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814962033_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814962428_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814962817_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814963227_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814955566_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814955838_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814956297_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814956728_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814957148_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814957414_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814957677_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814958087_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814958474_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814958863_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814959257_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814959529_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814959914_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981496031_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814960717_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814961113_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981496138_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814961769_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814962033_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814962428_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814962817_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489814963227_thumb.jpg

Just a quick note Pic 16 is of the second floor or Building J nothing up there as no way to put anything up there except through the big roll doors on the wall by hoist or Fork lift! Pict 1.The Letter is dated 1975 From what I know they had some Whiskkeys that were not what they wanted them to be so they were asking permission to fill 2 of their Large 337 Wine Gal Barrels with the stuff for an experiment. They had started the Big Barrel Thing in 1968 as I remember well.

I have Wondered did any other Companys try Large Whiskey Barrels like that, as the 337 Gal ones were the ones I talked about before and how we stacked them and how dam hard they were for us to move on the piles which up if I remember right were 3 high!

Dave Z

Picture 11 shows the type of Fork lift I was talking about on the Memories thread with those outriggers with little wheels they were hell to unload into the Warehouses. Since I have a long weekend off till tuesday I am going to dig out my Papers from the Fire Drills they had in the 1950's & 60's at Warehouse H and scan them and some other paper work and post them on my different threads.

Just think how weighted down the old 1941 Ford Flat trucks were bringing a Fork lift like the one on the page before over to the Warehouse dock from the Bottling house and then trying to get it off with out catching the Outrigger wheels in the front it was very interesting whenever it happen and when it did the lift would stay there a long time!

The Fork trucks for battery power sure did have guts and lifted whatever we needed, including the 337 Gal Experimental Whiskey Barrels onto the piles.

Dave Z

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of Shots I took of the Fire pumping station going down toward the River I revisited it on Friday walking around. The Building Looks like a bunker and there is no gate door into it. I climbed over the wall but both times I checked this place out I see no way but climbing in over the wall my guess is where the hole in the fence is where there was a small door at one time to climb in.

The Old Engine looks like its ready to run and sits waiting to run but will never again. When I worked here I do not remember this pump to the river I think it was built later and since there are no tanks in the fenced in cement Pad which is giant I figure that was going to be the next step and never got done becuase they closed. I have a paper I found that talks about this set up and I am going to read it and maybe post it one of these days!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------

For Unhurried Moments

----------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815122135_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815122557_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815122964_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815123381_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815123793_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There is one thing I will never understand and that is why didn't HH put sprinker systems in their warehouses years before the fire there? Think of how much less the lose would have been as sprinklers would have added water to the fire and most likely it would not have spread down the hill like it did and burned everything.

When Publicker bought Kinsey in 1940 they sprinkled everything even the old 1892 Warehouses A & B built by Jacob Kinsey every Building had sprinklers and and large Mains to bring plenty of water to fight fires and even a few years before they closed they added the Fire pumping station pictured before this page.

It was expensive when they did it but the fact that there was never Any Fire at Kinsey or even almost shows how smart a move it was and to think all that Good Whiskey burned up at HH is a sad thing. Continental was way ahead on things in those days and I can remember other Distillers coming to visit and look the Plant over for that reason.

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------

Dave,

how do we know for sure that HH was not up to date on sprinklers?

I seem to remember that the fire started in a warehouse and the burning whisky ran downhill catching other buildings and the creek on fire. If the rest of the fires, other than the originating fire, were started on the outside of the buildings...then not much a sprinkler inside the building will do for it.

From what I read in the News papers they had No sprinker systems at all in the warehouses and that is why it went so out of control as they all caught and the Whiskey as the Paper stated ran down the hill catching everything on fire.

That is where I based my writting if they did have them then the system just failed but from all I read on line in papers that was the route cause for so much damage. Here at work we do what we call route causes when we investigate accidents!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

---------------------------------------------------

Tough situation for HH, I am sure. It does seem odd that a distillery wouldn't have some sort of fire suppression system?

• 1 month later...

Not being from Ky I do not know but I would think that most if not all of the Distillerys there back in the Kinsey days would have had their own fire truck and fire dept. I when I was walking in Kinsey Saturday I was amazed at all the old Fire Extingusters there are still around the Plant.

There are dozens and dozens of them all types and alot of times the Kids bring them out and set them on the road in the Plant for fun I guess.

Remebering back when we cut the racks that was a time where we really had to be on Fire watch! Every one of the buildings had whiskey that had soaked in the cement floors through the years and The Fire Chief Calvin Roberts and Harry Martin his asst Chief would stand at the ready as Pearsol Pine Contractors cut the racks up and we in the yard gang removed and hauled them down to the Steer Pens to store them.

Thankfully the company kept everything in hand and there were NO Fires and all the racks were removed, which in many ways led to the ruin of the Plant as the stacking of Barrels just was not as good as racking them and the leaking was really Bad. Also it made the 2nd and 3rd floors really harder as you had to send up all the 50 / 48 gal barrels in the barrel elevator then stack them which took longer then just racking them up there.

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...

The One day about a yr 1/2 ago I was able to get inside Old Warehouse H and save many old Fire drill papers from in there these are from May and June of 1956.

Here are the two pictures of the Fire drill Paper work from 1956 Warehouse H was the last one built by Mr Kinsey

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

America's Most Magnificnet Bourbon

post-1964-14489815416278_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815416557_thumb.jpg

On Sunday while I could still get into it I took these two pictures of the Old Fire safety control center at the front of the Plant. Cal Roberts Chief and Harry Martin his second in command hung out in this little room with the Pumps and pyrotronics box. It was heated and their Lockers were in there.

It was built against the Blue water tank which is part of one of the walls.

As it says in the papers for the fire drills they would bring the truck out and do fire drills every month no matter how cold it was out.

When we were working once a week Cal would take the fire truck for a run through the plant and he would run the siren!

The truck had no cab was open air and was totally updated with the latest equipment after Publicker bought the plant. It had been bought by Mr Kinsey New.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815426788_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815427259_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

For me the Biggest tribute to Publicker Industries is and was the fact that in all the Years they operated Kinsey they Never had one fire or explosion or anyone Hurt. And that every month they did their fire fighting drills every week opened and tested all the Hydrants in the Plant and the woods, and bells on alarms and always made sure there was plenty of water Power for fire fighting on hand.

And looking back at my Pictures of Warehouse Q's Fire Safety Room high above the Plant at the Plants High point built on that warehouse when it was built for safety sake, even when they were building the explosion proof warehouses back in the early 1940's they were thinking very Smartly in thinking to put that on that Warehouse at the Plants High ground point! And the extra room on top of it to see across the Roof toward the Fields and woods for fire watch.

Also the fact that they comitted to safety as soon as they bought Kinsey by putting Sprinklers in every single one of the Old Warehouses, even the 1892 Warehouse A & B and other old Buildings. They upgraded Mr Kinseys Fire truck year after year to modern standards and kept Power in every Building and kept them Clean.

When I worked there I was never ever Afraid of any kind of Explosion and Looking back now it was a place where that could well of Happen but it did not because of the Company caring and doing what was right.

We had safe working days every day. I was and always will be very Proud I worked there and regret that I left, what a mistake and remember those I worked with Fondly!

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=

Well I went to Kinsey this morning at 8:30 AM till 12:00 noon. And I discovered the young people that go there to break in had every one of the warehouses broken open so when I left I called my friends to let them know!

And while I was there got some good shots including revisiting the Fire Observation Tower! Here are some new for 2009 shots of it and shots from the roof.

Here are some picutres of the Tower from the roof, the room the Heating Element on the walls and a couple of Shots through the window and from the roof this is the High point of the Plant.

I am in awe of the forthought in building this different fire escape then the rest of the warehouses on the building on the high point of the Plant back in the early 1940's!

Q Building is the only one with this special tower and room and till the grating fell down in the hollow tunnel on the back side of the tower you could climb up the side ladder then go up the ladder on the top room and see across the roof side of the building to the woods to look for fire and smoke. You would never want to go in now as it would be trip falling all the way down to a sealed room. I think what happen was the grating melted when the people set fire to the Corn Whiskey barrels on the 3rd floor. And it fell down in the sealed tower at the back.

Also the windows in the room melted from the heat and liquid glass ran down the window sills. The window frames buckled there was a time when bottles with labels were put up there in the sun to test how they would hold up. But what a testamony to how well the Buildings were built even after the fire and the hole the fire company knocked in the wall Warehouse Q is still stable and safe, I know I was on the roof this morning taking these Pictures!

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It Seems All The nicest People Drink Old Hickory

post-1964-14489815481539_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815481937_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815482339_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815482722_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815482988_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815483249_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815483635_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815484044_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815484435_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815484834_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815485219_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815485612_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815486012_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815486421_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815486826_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815487088_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago when I went to Kinsey and posted the pictures above of the Fire Watch tower one of the things that really impressed me was How dam strong these Buildings are.

If you look back in my pictures of last year you can see the big hole punched in the side by the fire company many years ago to put out a fire in a bunch of old Corn whiskey barrels that had a little in them on the third floor.

I went up on the roof and found that no matter where I looked the building had not gotten any worse even though many yrs before I went back there this big hole was knocked in its third floor wall to put out a big fire that was so hot it melted the Glass windows to moulten liquid in the tower room.

I was also impressed by the fact that they even had heating elements in the tower and the little room above it, of the metal fin type.

To do that they had to run heat pipes up all the way to and through the roof and they did.

These warehouses were in their time the highest of High tech and it must have been a joy watching them being built by Continental Distilling and they are a tribute to Macuskie builders and kelly Brick for their brick work.

I hope to see Industrial pictures of them going up when I meet my friend from the company soon I hope.

The steel rods are about 1 inch thick and run two ways every foot. The fllors and walls are all two foot thick and they are amazing in their build and in the Electrical setups they had for the 1940's.

I would bet that Old Jake Kinsey came and watched some of it once Continental started building them. As only 4 1/2 yrs before 1936 he had finished his last wood and brick warehouse H in the historic Pictures I posted last yr from Ludy. What a difference in buildings in so short a time.

Those must have been some exciting days and I wish I could have seen them doing it. Those were days when people needed Hope as WWII was coming on Quickly

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments