J. A. Dougherty's

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I received the following request through a European friend. I'd welcome an answer in the forum if one of the historians has one, or privately to my e-mail at gregkitzmiller@yahoo.com thanks, Greg

"Can anyone please help with any information? I have a sealed pint bottle of J. A. Dougherty's Sons pure whiskey. The bottle says Philadelphia Pennsylvania. The label also says "Produced by A. Overholt & Co. Distillery no. 3." There is also a label that says "For Medical Purposes Only. Sale or Use for Other Purposes Will Cause Heavy Penalties to be Inflicted." I imagine that label is because of prohibition. It is 100 proof and it says it was made prior to Jan 17, 1920. Any information?"

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well Greg we haven't seen you 'round here in a coon's age!

It sounds like your friend has got some pre-prohibition Overholt rye whiskey 'stilled in PA. It's very dangerous for Europeans to have such whiskey so tell your friend that he should overnight that bottle via FedEx to Ralph Whilps. He's an expert in the proper disposal of such things. It's a good thing you showed up when you did, as there isn't a moment to spare!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

>>It sounds like your friend has got some pre-prohibition Overholt rye whiskey 'stilled in PA.

Wow Linn, you could tell all that just by reading Greg's post?

Truly the Bourbon Gods must look upon you with much favor ;-)

Just where have you been Greg?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yeah Jim I am an amazing fellow, but you already knew that.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn,

Thanks for reminding an unsuspecting public that untrained attempts to handle old-label Monongahela-style ryes can be EXTREMELY dangerous, and that any containers of such should be immediately carefully boxed and forwarded to me. Just for your information, the disposal site has been temporarily located in a clearing near Large, PA, the original site of the Sam Thompson distillery. All bottles received are inspected and carefully opened there, the contents then being neutralized by being passed through an efficient organic filter, ultimately transforming them into a harmless, environmentally-friendly and bacteriologically-sterile mixture of water and ureic acid, a stream of which is directed from the filter onto an oak stump. This process is repeated until all samples have been rendered safe or until the filtration system is saturated, a process which often takes all afternoon.

Thank you for your socially-responsible alert to an otherwise unprotected Internet community.

Ralph Wilps

Jim. been really busy --- I mean it's been a ridiculous Spring. I expect to be dug out in a week, then plan to take a little vacaction.

But I really would like to help this request which is from a friend who runs a message board in Europe. I was hoping Chuck might have info. Or MV might e-mail me

Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Have one also. still in the cardboard container. bottle has a seal that says made in fall 1917 bottled spring 1934. but produced by kentucky distilleries & warehouse co, distillery no 2 6th distict ky The seal says distillery no 2 ky 1st dist of penn.

Aged in wood over fifteen years

the reverse side of the label says" Spiritus Frumenti" 100 proof (sounds better than 'pants down', Linn!!!

See what I mean, Tim? Monongahela rye can produce unpredictable and erratic psychological states even at a distance! Imagine what could happen if it was actually ingested!

Ralph

I have an old note to myself that says Ted Haigh ("Dr. Cocktail") has a bottle of this stuff. He may also have some information. He can be reached at --Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.