Lead Crystal PSA

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Although I was very happy to take advantage of Joel's great find at Target for the Riedel glasses, I have to admit I was a little disappointed that they weren't lead crystal. I have two champagne flutes that are, and I love em.

Then I saw this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_crystal

Of course, it appears that for only short usage it isn't a big deal. I also now see that this has been talked about on this site a few years ago. But in any case, this was all news to me. I had no idea. Just a FYI for others out there... I guess regular ole glass isn't so bad after all!

• 2 weeks later...

Wherever Wikipedia came up with that info is erroneous. Lead oxide is fused with silica in the glass blowing process. The fusion does not allow for lead oxide to be dissolved into a solution. California has a proposition that limits the lead content of decanters. After all it is California... if the lead ever dissolves.....you would find your decanter or glass full of sand. Drink and or store your favorite bourbon in any crystal decanter you like. But...a glass is a glass... There is just a feel of luxury when holding/drinking from crystal.

From the FDA:

"Lead crystal glassware may leach lead. "The crystalware industry has established voluntary lead-leaching limits for crystalware," says Kashtock, "that most foreign and domestic manufacturers follow." As a precaution, children and pregnant women should avoid frequent use of crystal glassware. Lead crystal baby bottles should never be used."

http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/1998/198_lead.html

And from the Riedel website:

Health Warning - Lead Crystal Ware

Recent studies have found that lead can leach into food from lead crystal hollowware. The International Crystal Federation has provided FDA a report of its research on lead leaching into food and alcoholic beverages, and the industry has started a program in which manufacturers share technological developments to reduce lead leaching. Also FDA has initiated studies of its own on lead leaching from crystalware.

Until FDA reviews all the data and determines what further actions, if any, need to be taken, the agency advises consumers not to store alcoholic beverages in lead crystal decanters, and pregnant women not to routinely drink from lead crystal glasses. Infants should not be fed with lead crystal baby bottles.

Because lead is ubiquitous, FDA recognizes that no effort will totally eliminate lead from the food supply, however desirable that may be. But FDA and many other federal, state and local governments are working together through all available means to reduce exposure to lead. The initial focus is on the sources likely to result in the greatest exposure.

http://www.imageryproducts.com/riedel.shtml

Maybe that old Fred Flinstone jelly glass ain't so bad after all....

Lead crystal baby bottles? If our society is producing such items we have bigger things to worry about than lead poisoning.

Lead crystal baby bottles? If our society is producing such items we have bigger things to worry about than lead poisoning.

Come'on... they go with the silver spoon and the designer diapers.

So, in the interest of public safety, I decided to empty a very lovely (but now I know potentially very hazardous) lead crystal decanter that I received as a gift from my wife. (All right dear, what exactly did you have in mind... the life insurance policy?)

Anyway, said decanter was filled with FRSmB... and is now empty. The next morning, I noticed the following syptoms:

• Nausea
  • Headache
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Memory loss

Question: Is this the result of lead toxicity and thus did I, in fact,

perform a courageous and noble public service

or

was it merely the result of too much FR?

I've run into the same thing but I also have another symptom:

* Gaining of up to 400 and not less than 250 lbs of strange woman in the bed next to me.

Damn that lead.

Dane,

Please tell me you're talking about two or three of 'em in the 125-133 lb. range.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dane,

Please tell me you're talking about two or three of 'em in the 125-133 lb. range.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Otherwise you may need to have a good look at what you're drinking! :lol:

Scott

Sorry guys, but I did say woman and not women. You mean I'm the only one this happens to?

One of the first studies to show that lead leached out of crystal was published back about 1988. Since then I've followed the practice of putting liquor into decanters prior to guests' arrival, and back into the bottles after they leave.

The only decanter I no longer use is my WT decanter. Would it be wrong to serve something else in it? Say PVW 15?

As for lead crystal, some manufacturers are moving to titanium, which is not only safer but makes for stronger glasses. One of them, Zwiesel, claims that their glasses are "truly break resistant, practically unscratchable and virtually unstainable"

....As for lead crystal, some manufacturers are moving to titanium, which is not only safer but makes for stronger glasses. One of them, Zwiesel, claims that their glasses are "truly break resistant, practically unscratchable and virtually unstainable"

That would be good. My wife just broke a wine glass (Riedel Vinum) this morning while cleaning up last night's supper dishes.

I have shyed away from crystal decanters because of lead leaching. I love crystal though. I have a lot of crystal glasses, wine glasses and whiskey tumblers/double old fashioneds, candy dishes, cake plater etc.

I have a question on the lead thing. If a lead container has held a brandy, scotch, (ie higher alcohol content), for several years, and you empty the contents and clean it out thoroughly, is the container then "tainted" in any way. I mean, will the lead leach more quickly with the next contents? Have you done something to the integrity of the inside to make it funky? I ask, because I have a crystal container that has held brandy in it for around 10 years, and now I'm not sure what to do with it once I dump out what's in it.

Thanks,

JOE

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.