Avoiding Yucky Bourbon

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to Linn for suggesting that I search on "bad bourbon" and "worst bourbon".

I won't be so presumptuous as to bump those threads, because I know it's all old news to most StraightBourbonians. However, my fellow newbies may find some very helpful info.

For example, do StraightBourbonians agree with Jim Murray's opinion (admittedly at least five years old) that Old Crow has redeeming qualities? Do they think Early Times is a diamond in the rough, or just plain rough? Can a bourbon with a name that belongs on a scotch bottle possibly be worth trying? Is Illinois nipping (no pun intended) at Kentucky's heels as a producer of high quality, corn-based distilled spirits?

You can find the answers to these questions and more in just a few minutes, if you care.

(Side note: This is the most informative, congenial forum of any kind that I have happened upon in my six years as a resident of cyberspace. I love you guys and gals!)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Oh Boy Dave! Most StraightBourbonians could care less what Jim Murray has to say. We know more about about bourbon than that Scottie ever will. Old Crow sucks to high heavens, but it's still better tasting than the best sc**ch.

Early Times is no longer a bourbon due to the use of used cooperage. As an 'Old Style Kentucky Whiskey' its a bottom shelf something or other at best. I can't reccomemd it to anyone.

Illinois is a bad joke. Don't laugh.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

While I agree with Linn that true Bourbon drinker's don't drink either ET or OC, I'd rate ET (admittedly not truly bourbon) above Old Crowe. I once asked what happens to the worst of the Jim Beam Bourbon. No one will admit it but I say it becomes Old Crowe.

-- Greg K.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

The interesting thing about both Old Crow and Early Times, as well as other bad bourbons such as Ancient Age, is that they come from distilleries that also make very good bourbon. So what's the difference? Do they decide one day to make some bad bourbon? Do they occassionally make a bad batch by accident? In fact, the main difference is age, which is instructive. If you want to appreciate the benefits of aging in charred oak, compare Early Times to Old Forester. The culprit isn't the used cooperage so much as it is the lack of time in any cooperage. I think ET is aged 3 years. Forester is probably close to six. That's the difference.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.