BOTM, 2/08: WL Weller Special Reserve

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The way I see it, the Pappy products are now and always have been a moving target - except of course, they've always been damn good whiskey.

And back to my original hope, that any changes for the VW lines that Julian may have asked for will improve the Weller lines as well.

Roger

You are correct Roger and stated it clearer than I did.

I think JVWIII will have a positive effect on BT's Weller.

So has anyone compared the Old Weller Antique and the WSR? I know I can just buy some and see for myself, but I've currently got a lot of the Antique and don't know that I would prefer a softer, lower proof version to it. Your thoughts?

and don't know that I would prefer a softer, lower proof version to it.

I would certainly agree. I think the Weller Antique is a heck of a bourbon. However, its flavors are very mellow, so I don't know that I'd appreciate a lower proof version.

I think i was the only vote for the W.S.R. in the Weller poll a while back. Truth it was the only the second bottle i had the 1st being 100 proof. Got a half gallon on the cheap while in Atlanta last year and really enjoyed it. I do have a B.H.C. bottle of Weller Centennial in my bunker. Wishing they were all available in Alabama.

I like both Special Reserve and Antique but if forced to choose between them, I would pick Special Reserve and, in fact, do just that frequently when I'm making a drink and both bottles are open and in front of me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bottle of Antique 107 and just today saw some bottles of Special Reserve on a local store shelf. However, seeing that they are suffering from a good dose of control state price gouging (27.30), there won't be any of these in my liquor cabinet!

Thomas

So has anyone compared the Old Weller Antique and the WSR? I know I can just buy some and see for myself, but I've currently got a lot of the Antique and don't know that I would prefer a softer, lower proof version to it. Your thoughts?

I highly prefer the Antique over the Special Reserve, and I think it's well worth the few dollars more that it costs. If given a choice of the two, I think I would probably always choose the Antique. Same goes for the Weller 12, it just doesn't grab me as much as the Antique. Don't get me wrong, I still like the SR and the 12 a lot.

In the spirit of the thread though, I did pick up a 1L bottle of Special Reserve (an older Louisville bottling from the Stitzel-Weller era), good stuff!

Jeff kicks it off but not always at the first of the month.

This thread has been discussed about it's future.

I for one would like it to stay.

Hey Jeff can we PM you with suggestions for future BOTM's?

Jeff kicks it off but not always at the first of the month.

This thread has been discussed about it's future.

I for one would like it to stay.

Hey Jeff can we PM you with suggestions for future BOTM's?

Don't pressure me, or you'll end up with a month of Ancient Age 10-star discussion:slappin:

I'll try to get something up tonight or tomorrow, work has been eating me alive lately:smil41df29a15fb35:

And yes, feel free to PM me with suggestions.

Haven't had a chance to read much of this thread as of yet. However, hope it does not turn over anyone's applecart, but I am not a fan of this particular offering from Weller. IMHO, it is far, far below their other products especially the Antique 107. Don't know why nor can I really put my finger on it.....but, the couple of times I have tried SR were met with a stringent alcohol burn and overall bad aftertaste. Just did not enjoy it at all. In fact, I poured the last half of the bottle onto a rotting stump. It either killed the remaining termites or gave them the time of their life.

I finished off my bottle of Weller SR pretty fast, for me anyway. I like this bourbon as it gives me another affordable chioce for a quality pour. Not saying I'd choose this over the antique , but if money is a factor this holds its own.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I too like the SR bottle I have- purchased for 13.69 so a great price for an everyday type pour. I find it be very mild and sweet. Almost like a sweet tea with a alcohol smell at first when you raise the glass up to takea sip. But then I am a big fan Islay single malts and they are very very strong in taste so bourbon are a delicious sweet and much cheaper treat. I will probably get a 1L size of this as it is around 24-26 in my area. I did get 2 1.75L of 107 Weller Antique tonight they were about 37 dollars each. So the SR also gets points for being tasty and as mentioned affordable. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found some WSR (at $12.99!) and had my first pour last night. It certainly tastes like the Antique but that medicinal flavor is just a bit more subdued. I like the Antique at $19 but I got to say I love the WSR at $13. If asked to choose between these I'd give WSR the edge.

BTW- what I love about these inexpensive good pours is that they help bring down the average cost/night of bourbon enjoyment. If I'm having 2 pours/night of 2 oz of PVW15 or even 20 (which is quite often), I like to start with one of these cheaper pours, get the taste buds acclimated, and then hit the higher priced stuff and take advantage of the contrast effect (i.e. makes the higher priced stuff taste even better).

So at $0.50 /oz(WSR) x 2oz = $1 plus $2.00/oz(PVW15) x2 = $4 or even $3.625/oz(PVW20) x 2oz = $7.25 then I can drink for between $5 to $8.25 per evening versus $8 to $14.50.

Still quite pricey per evening so I also tend to mix in other relatively less expensive pours but also fantastic like Centennial 13 yr (@ $1 /oz) or ORVW 10/107 at a similar price point.

Anyways, my take home message is that I am happy that everyone here turned me on to this very nice and inexpensive pour... it will now be entering the rotation!

I finally found some WSR (at $12.99!) and had my first pour last night. It certainly tastes like the Antique but that medicinal flavor is just a bit more subdued. I like the Antique at $19 but I got to say I love the WSR at $13. If asked to choose between these I'd give WSR the edge.

BTW- what I love about these inexpensive good pours is that they help bring down the average cost/night of bourbon enjoyment. If I'm having 2 pours/night of 2 oz of PVW15 or even 20 (which is quite often), I like to start with one of these cheaper pours, get the taste buds acclimated, and then hit the higher priced stuff and take advantage of the contrast effect (i.e. makes the higher priced stuff taste even better).

So at $0.50 /oz(WSR) x 2oz = $1 plus $2.00/oz(PVW15) x2 = $4 or even $3.625/oz(PVW20) x 2oz = $7.25 then I can drink for between $5 to $8.25 per evening versus $8 to $14.50.

Still quite pricey per evening so I also tend to mix in other relatively less expensive pours but also fantastic like Centennial 13 yr (@ $1 /oz) or ORVW 10/107 at a similar price point.

Anyways, my take home message is that I am happy that everyone here turned me on to this very nice and inexpensive pour... it will now be entering the rotation!

Right out of the Bourbonomics 101 textbook. You get an A+:Clever:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!