Prominence of Knob Creek

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like Bakers . Most days at Jim Beams Outpost if you go in the Beam house they pour drinks , Need to go when they have the Booker's out , anyway the day I went there it was Knob Creek or Baker's so I said Baker's . No use opening that autographed bottle. I thought it was terrific . Still do.

Bobby Cox

Linn:

What exactly are the other small batch Beam products, Booker's, Baker's, and Basil Hayden all about? One post kinda slammed Basil Hayden. Do you like Beam rye?

Winslow

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes Winslow I do like Beam rye, but I like Beam's other rye; Old Overholt, better.

Due to all the Baker's banter in this thread I bumped up my tasting on Baker's.

The brains behind Beam's 'Small Batch Collection' is said to be Freddy Noe. To launch four 'new' brands at one time would be considered by most to be a very risky venture, but it worked! Knob Creek just happened to come out on top. If you haven't read my tasting on Knob Creek do yourself a favor and search for it in the Single Barrel/Small Batch topic board.

Booker's; Baker's, and Basil Hayden must be selling well enough as they are still being bottled, and marketed.

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Ah-Ha Tim! Your 'depth perception' of bourbon has come into a sharper focus. As your bourbonic knowledge has increased so has your tasting ability. The payoff is the pleasure of increased enjoyment of more bourbons. The only downside is you have keep buying more and more bourbon.laugh.gif

Pants Away!cool.gif

Linn Spencer

Reality is highly overrated.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Freddy is probably just the face they are putting to Small Batch, which was launched in 1988 or thereabouts, when Freddy wasn't even in the picture. Beam's whiskey-making decisions are made in Kentucky, but the marketing decisions are made in Chicago (Deerfield, actually).

Booker's was the original, introduced in 1985, or thereabouts, as a Christmas present for Beam company business associates. It was well enough received that they started to sell it. I remember having my first taste at a bar in Louisville in the fall of 1987. The other three followed soon thereafter. Each is a little different. Booker's is 121 to 127 proof, unfiltered and 6-8 years old. Baker's is 107 proof and 7 years old. Knob Creek is 100 proof and 9 years old. Basil Hayden's is 80 proof and 8 years old.

Booker's, Baker's and Knob Creek are standard Beam mash bill (some disagree with this, but I'm confident I'm right). BH is the Old Grand-Dad mash bill, which has a higher percentage of rye and a consequently lower percentage of corn.

The main gripe against BH is its low proof, which despite its age leaves it tasting pretty blah. They position it as light-bodied, a good bourbon for scotch drinkers.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Linn:

Found and just read your review of Knob Creek. I suppose I must see it your way since I enjoyed half a bottle's worth last

Sunday (little pig that I am!). What a way to spend a summer afternoon & evening. It was a hot one too. I also read your Kentucky Spirit review and do believe I'll get some...yes. I like WT 101 quite a bit. I think it has a very "buttery" finish and I can only imagine what Kentucky Spirit will be like.

Per Chucks reply, I think I'll stay away from Basil Hayden and try Booker's or Baker's for my next Beam brand. That low proof scares me. I tried a Wild Turkey 80 proof (small bottle) just for kicks. Not too good. I guess it would be OK with a mixer. Don't understand how the 101 proof actually seems smoother.

Regards,

Winslow

>> Found and just read your review of Knob Creek. I suppose I must see it your way since I enjoyed half a bottle's worth last Sunday <<

After trying Knob Creek for the first time a few weeks ago, it easily knocked out Maker's Mark as my "house" Bourbon.

Also, shared a few glasses of Old Rip Van Winkle 15 years old with a friend, and found it to be a truley wonderful experience. I was a bit concerned as to the 107 proof, but it was as smooth as a baby's bottom. smile.gif

Doug...

Ain't Life Grand?! ~

____________________ ~

(___<<M>>____________}}}

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Only half a bottle, Winslow? Over an entire Sunday? You Sir are the very soul of moderation. I'm glad you find my tastings helpful and I hope you enjoy reading them every bit as much as I did writting them!

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.