Jessica's "Tennesee Tea"

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This idea was inspired in part by a tasting note by Linn that my wife read. It said that you should chase Woodford's Reserve with Iced Tea.

After much trial and error and more than a Liter of whiskey, here is the recipe.

4 Tea Bags (2 Orange Pekoe & 2 Green Tea)

1/2 Gallon or so water

1/2 Cup or so Sugar

2 cups or so George Dickel No. 12

Ice

Brew tea. It is absolute best if you have one of those nifty sun tea jars cause it really does make the stuff taste better. The extra wait is worth it. If you have to do it quickly she says to nuke the bags in small containers (two bags to a coffee cup is best) then strain the liquid through a seive and dilute to taste after. Add water to make a half gallon. This will be rather strong still so you can dilute more to taste if that is your want. Add 1/2 cup sugar. Chill 3 hours minimum.

Find your favorite tumbler (16 oz size preferrable), add a minimum of 4 but no more than 7 ice cubes, add roughly 10 oz tea and then between 1 1/2 - 3 oz George Dickel Tennessee whisky, depending on your liking (DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT use Jack Daniels, IT WILL NOT WORK RIGHT!!). Jessica says that leaving the whisky in the tea over long periods of time will aldulterate the mixture and the whisky will lose its eccentricities, so add at last possible moment.

Fire up the porch swing & enjoy!!

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Sun tea is the best Tom. Sweet iced tea has always been a traditional southern chaser/mixer. Try some Virgina Gentleman 'red label' and make some Virginia tea! The simplicity of the young 80 proofer makes for a very refreshing drink on hot summer days and is the perfect break from the drudgery of yardwork.

Booker Noe's "Kentucky Tea" is just Booker's in a tall glass of water. No tea.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Yeah Jessica was reading a book for her History class about sharecroppers in the south during the depression, and they discussed southern sweet tea, and that was the other lil inspiration. It really is quite the refreshing drink, though.

You should bring some red label to Bardstown so we can try it with the spiffy iced tea recipe!! wink.gif!

TomC

PS I'll have to get my hands on some Booker's and make some "Kentucky Tea" soon!!!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Just take it easy on the Booker's. Take my word for it. The first bottle of Bookers I ever bought I opened in the parking lot of the ABC store and took what I thought was just a little swig. Holy Thermo-Nucular Meltdown! My left testicle took off south down Main Street. My right testicle went north towards Gettysburg! Gonna whip the entire union army with his penis tied behind his back! Mmm-Hmm. I went to 7-11 for a big gulp. After I rounded up my manhood I went home and put the Booker's away. Jeez Louise!

When Booker tells you to put half an ounce of Booker's into twelve ounces of water he ain't ah-liein'! I'm ah-tellin' ya true.

Hey Dave this is the bourbon for you. You want 'oomph'? Booker's got it. You too Ralph!

Now ya know.

Linn Spencer

Linn:

I remember the first time I tried Booker's - I had a straight double while eating at this fancy NY restaurant on top of the Marriott Marquis hotel on Times Square. The whole restaurant rotated so you could see the entire Manhattan skyline. My son had a double Knob Creek with his dinner and started looking at me worriedly as the meal went on. I'll tell you, after I finished the whiskey it wasn't that the room was spinning - it was supposed to be - just the opposite, I made it stop spinning by blinking. I could turn the world into a series of discrete, strobe-lit timeless moments and for some reason that seemed to be hugely entertaining, at least to me.

Since then, about 108 proof seems to be my top octane - remember, I smoke a pipe and I don't want to light myself up just by breathing out!

Ralph

Linn,

I had one of those airline size bottles of Booker's; it came in a little wooden display crate along with the other three JB small batchers.

Believe it or not, I actually made that midget collection last through four separate comparative tastings. (I didn't like any of them well enough to run out looking for 750ml bottle, but when Knob Creek showed up at Trader Joe's for $19.99, I sprung for it anyway.)

I have to agree with your assessment of Booker's effect on the male anatomy. However, that's not quite the kind of oomph I had in mind. (Damn! I hate being so illiterate that I resort to a word like "oomph" to describe a quality of bourbon.)

I think I tasted, or rather felt, the high alcohol content. I'm not sure that I tasted much of the flavor that makes bourbon taste like bourbon. Does that make any sense? I guess I could have added some water, but what's the point of the high proof bottling in that case?

Do I recall correctly that Baker's, Booker's, and Basil Hayden's did not make anyone's top five list?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Dave,

'Oomph' is a well respected descriptive term, as is Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.