A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

dave ziegler

When it came to bottling Whiskey in the late 1960's and 1970's The Continental Distilling Bottle house at Kinsey was second to none. In those days it was the worlds biggest and also did many custom jobs for Seagrams, Jacquins and many more.

1. Here is an Old Kinsey Whisky Match Pack for Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky!

2. The Old Security Shack sitting across from where it sat when I worked there in Ruin!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

post-1964-14489819423176_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489819423326_thumb.jpg

Our state of the Art Bottling house in Linfield had so much capacity that we did much custom bottling for the world biggest Distillers besides are own stuff! Also when it opened in Sept of 1966 there were people from all over the world taking tours of Our Bottling house. In its peak there were about 500 people working there in two shifts. We had so much capacity we ownly needed two shifts 5 days a week back then.

It pains me to see the bottling House destroyed by vandels, who wreck everything they can not steal! It will always be my Favorite place to have worked and to Me trurly an Icon of distilling!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
Our state of the Art Bottling house in Linfield had so much capacity that we did much custom bottling for the world biggest Distillers besides are own stuff! Also when it opened in Sept of 1966 there were people from all over the world taking tours of Our Bottling house. In its peak there were about 500 people working there in two shifts. We had so much capacity we ownly needed two shifts 5 days a week back then.

It pains me to see the bottling House destroyed by vandels, who wreck everything they can not steal! It will always be my Favorite place to have worked and to Me trurly an Icon of distilling!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave -

I love history and really enjoy hearing first hand experiences. Your sharing of your experiences at Continental are just awesome. It is like reading history in the first person. Your passion is apparent. Thank you for sharing this experience with us!

mbroo

Mbroo When I go there My mind takes me back to those days. I can see see Old Bonda Berky driving his 1951 Pylmouth directing truck traffic with his always present 1/2 pint of Whisky. He would come in early to go to the Old Warehouses to look the best whiskey Possible. And even though Bonda drove around the Plant he never drove on the highway his whole life! His Wife drove them everywhere and it was said she was why He drank sometimes. My Friend and Former Major League Baseball player Gus Niarhos, Played for the Yankees, Phillies Ect, as he got older would spend his winters working at Kinsey Distillery instead of going down to South America to manage winter ball teams. In the summer He managed th New Port News minor league team.

Dave Z

======================================================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

Edited by dave ziegler

Nothing fits this thread more then the Next 3 Pictures of Ads for one of the all time Products that used to be bottled at Linfield in the 1966 Bottling house back in the day!

Here are 3 of many very Neat ads from Continental Distilling for the Scotch they created and it was also the Name Si S. Neuman gave to his home on the Main Line out of Phila. He Named His House Inverhouse back in the 1930's before he used it for this amazingly afordable Scotch.

Dave Z

==================================================

Invers In Boston,Invers In France!

Inverhouse was a very great and Historic product it opened the way for the working man to have a good Scotch to drink and Mr Neuman always looked for ways to make Our Products afordable to any and all class's of people!

post-1964-144898195667_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489819566968_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489819567117_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some more Pictures of Products that once came from Kinsey Plant in Linfield where I worked.

Picture 1. Is another ad for Rittenhouse Rye our alltime bigest selling Rye Whiskey.

Picture 2. An ad for Philadelphia Blended Whiskey

Picture 3. A picture of the Glen Flagler Distillery in Scotland the year was 1965.

hanks again to Butch for these Pictures!

Dave Z.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489819723804_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489819723959_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489819724211_thumb.jpg

Squire it was made by us from fall 1933 till sept 1979, 46 yrs when they quit making whiskeys! Tried doing nothing but Antifreeze and home cleaners only, till they went out of business in Sept 1986! It was one of worst days I can remember! It was the first Whiskey I ever drank, had it straight from the barrel out of warehouse E now gone struck by lightening last winter! It was named for Rittenhouse square in Philadelphia! Dave Z

• 3 weeks later...
When it came to bottling Whiskey in the late 1960's and 1970's The Continental Distilling Bottle house at Kinsey was second to none. In those days it was the worlds biggest and also did many custom jobs for Seagrams, Jacquins and many more.

1. Here is an Old Kinsey Whisky Match Pack for Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky!

2. The Old Security Shack sitting across from where it sat when I worked there in Ruin!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sure remember your Grandmom picking you when I worked on the yard gang. As I have said Many times your Grandfather always had my Highest Respect. I alway called Him Mr Bryant! He was a very good man. So sad the place sits as it does, When He came there was so much excitment about the new Bottle house and I got my job because of it. Best to you Chuck!

Dave Z

=====================================================================

It Seems All Teh Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

• 1 month later...

Hey Chuck if you ever get up this way we will walk the grounds again like you did as a kid and we working there. It was a great place to work and really good people like your Grandfather back then had the place running great for Mr. Neuman When Mr. Neuman died Publicker and Kinsey died with him. Dave Z. Join The Swing To Kinsey

Hey Chuck if you ever get up this way we will walk the grounds again like you did as a kid and we working there. It was a great place to work and really good people like your Grandfather back then had the place running great for Mr. Neuman When Mr. Neuman died Publicker and Kinsey died with him. Dave Z. Join The Swing To Kinsey

Well here are 2 pictures of the Plant taken by me back in 2011 2 yrs ago

1. The 1966 Bottling house in the winter, you could still see the Long dock area of the 2 Football fields long building.

2. Inside the old 1933 Kinesy Bottle house looking and tanks. The Building has now fallen down so much I can no longer go in there.

It is so sad to write about the terrible ending happening at Kinsey, I could never Have dreamed this would Happen!

Dave Z

==========================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky

For Unhurried Moments

==========================

post-1964-14489819924019_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489819924228_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well here are two Pictures I got from Butch awhile back, not sure if I posted them before.

1. The Docks at the Publicker Plant in Phila in 1956.

2. Philip Publicker the Brother of Harry Publicker founder of Publicker Industires, founded the American Distillery right next to Publicker in Phila. This is a Picture of that Plant before they moved out west, taken in 1954.

I hope in the next week or so for some better weather to go to Kinsey again there are rumors that someone might buy it and tear everything down. And I want to explore some more while I still can.

The Bottling House which in 1966 was state of art and the worlds Largest, is now in a complete state of ruin. I also want to get some pictures but I can't of the warehouses as Vandles have painted horrible stuff on them now. So glad I got them all years ago for this work of Love for the Old Place.

Dave Z

================================================================================

post-1964-14489820294054_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489820294477_thumb.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler

• 3 weeks later...
...there are rumors that someone might buy it and tear everything down...

Dave, what have you heard in that regard? Does there seem to be any truth to it?

• 2 weeks later...

Fangzilla I don't think it will happen because the cost would be millions to tear each warehouse down, and even though they are all ruined by vandals I still love going there. Just took Joe Trish's daughter and sons there last Sunday before the storms. Joe was our Project engineer and he did amazing things in Phila and at Kinsey! Joe was a wonderful man and I was Thrilled to take his family around the plant.

Dave Z

=================================================

• 4 weeks later...

Well here I am posting after a lot of terrible weather! Thankfully no more snow this week. I will have to wait till all the snow is gone to take a walk around Kinsey again, but once spring gets here I will. Last time there about 4 or 5 weeks ago I found some paper work the kid vandals had tossed around. Always looking for History Pieces. Last time there the buildings are really getting bad from water leaking everywhere in them. Hoping to got in with Butch once spring gets here before all the weeds take over. Fangzilla I have thankfully had power ever since that blackout. It was terrible sleeping in full dress with a coat on and no Lights except a fflashlight!

Dave Z

=====================================================================

• 2 months later...

Walked around Kinsey today for a bit and it makes me sick to see how bad it is now. Almost every building has weird painted writing from Vandles on them doors ripped off. And the walls are starting to fall apart. I first went back there around 2004 and it is ten years later and nothing but ruin. My guess is everything will sit till it falls. It is a good thing Mr Neuman never will see this!

Dave Z

==================================================================================

Kinsey the Unhurried Whisky For Unhurried Moments

• 2 months later...

About two weeks ago I went into the Old 1966 Bottling house and it really got to me seeing the old girl in complete ruin! Water running in through the roof, mold everywhere and lots of damage by Vandle's. It is hard to find anything good anymore. Hard to believe that in 1966 People from all over the world came there to tour it. And when I left the company, Chucks Granfather was making the place really produce. I will always say if Si Neuman had not died it would still be operating. Mr. Neuman had a special way about him, he just knew how to grow things. In 1933 He took Publicker Industries from 13 employee's to 5,000 world wide in 1966!

Dave Z

===========================================================

• 1 month later...

Sunday I got a chance to walk around Kinsey again! Looking at the 1966 Bottling House you could not see it for the tree's and over growth. It is so sad to see it the way it is, when I remember how beautiful it was when it opened in Sept 1966. I met some people from Penn University in Phila and showed them around. They were doing a story for Collage about the place. I told them about how is was back then. Those days there were good paying jobs and lots of hope for the future. I am very glad I was young then!

Dave Z

• 3 weeks later...

Here is something as rare as can be? I have the plate that Si Neuman had on the front of his Bentley Rolls! And here is a picture I just took of it outside my garage! This is one of many amazing things I got this weekend. I will be posting stuff on all 3 threads as fast as I can. Mr Neuman would come up during the week about once a month pak just down from the warehouses and walk into the 1966 Bottle house by himself many times,one time Ludy told me he walked up to him and asked how he was doing.

Dave Z

========================================

post-1964-14489821524258_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last Sunday Ethan and his wife went with me to Kinsey one last time before winter sets in. It is terrible to see how the place looks now, just going to total ruin. We walked around for a couple of hours the joy is gone seeing things the way they are. But My memories are still great of that amazing place.

Dave Z

=====================================================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey for Unhurried Moments

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I saw My Old Friend Jake Kinsey's great Nephew Al Landis 96 yrs old Laid to rest. Al told me many things about Jake Kinsey, Like his habit before Prohibition to Have One Shot of Rye every Morning, in the Kinsey office that stood next to the Old Kinsey Bottle House. It was Al who told me about Mr Si Neuman sending Al's Father Horace who was master Distiller at Kinsey DSP-PA-12 in Linfield to Scotland to teach the operating of the Inver- House Stills! A whole Lot of information died with Al and He was a wonderful Man!

Dave Z

===================================================

Yesterday I saw My Old Friend Jake Kinsey's great Nephew Al Landis 96 yrs old Laid to rest. Al told me many things about Jake Kinsey, Like his habit before Prohibition to Have One Shot of Rye every Morning, in the Kinsey office that stood next to the Old Kinsey Bottle House. It was Al who told me about Mr Si Neuman sending Al's Father Horace who was master Distiller at Kinsey DSP-PA-12 in Linfield to Scotland to teach the operating of the Inver- House Stills! A whole Lot of information died with Al and He was a wonderful Man!

Dave Z

===================================================