A trip in to the Old Continental Bottle house 1966 State of the Art

dave ziegler

On 2/11/2016 at 6:21 PM, dave ziegler said:

Well it is now Feb 2016 and I have not been in Kinsey for about 7 months thanks to the people who set fires and Did all they could to destroy Her! The warehouses, are still for the most part walled shut and the Police go in just about every day looking to lock up people! What I would give to walk in there one last time to remember those wonderful days of youth and drinking some of the best whiskey's made. It is still hard for me to believe it is gone forever, which's makes seeing the old Publicker Kinsey Brands come back thank's to Millstone Spirits is a wonderful thing for me! And to see Old Hickory being made as a quality Whiskey down in Tenna makes me very proud and I also am thankful that I have been told my writings here have helped this to happen!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The unhurried Whiskey for Unhurried Moments!

Well it has been awhile and time to post some pictures and other stuff

Today was a great day for me as I got to go into Kinsey legally to get my Friends from New Liberty Distilling Whisky Barrels to be made into Cabinets with the Heads cleaned showing the Continental Writing. The Business is called Cooperage Cabinets and they have a web sight and the barrels they redo are amazing, and it saves Kinsey barrels for history!

Their Site is www.cooperagecabonets.com

We sipped some of the New Linfield Rye whiskey after we left the Plant! I wanted to post bottle pictures but have no clue how to and I am not joining some picture group to put my pictures on If anyone can help me with this new set up please do.

Dave Z

=======================================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

• 3 months later...

Today Sept 30 for the first time in 5 Months I went into the Distillery with my friends who watch the place and can go in anytime. So darn Sad, The Son of the man who owed it had a scrap yard come in and cut up the two Half million  Gallon Tanks. And in doing it they for no good reason as it was nowhere in the way of taking the tanks out  bulldozed the 50 foot High Pine tree I used to mulch when I worked on the yard gang.

The Place is nothing now but a dump. I all but cried looking at the place I always loved. Everything every where ruined. I was in shock at the ruin. I started this thread a while back and never finished it so used the spot today

Dave Z

=========================================

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Edited by dave ziegler
missed a word

• 3 months later...

My Friend Ludy spent his last years at Kinsey as a Bottling Machine Mechanic. There was nothing he could not do when it came to bottling machines! I will miss him greatly he was a wonderful Man. I am sorry for not having written here much but I have been having allot of trouble with no part time job and had not called for a while sadly I heard the message on my Phone tonight.

==============================

• 1 month later...

I still can not find how to get Pictures from my Computer and Load them here with this new system. So I guess I will just have to write only now. Thinking about the old days at Kinsey where we would This time of Year if the weather was cold and clear go to buildings we where chose to sweep and clean them. I would always chose the Old Dsp-PA-12 Distiller and sweep from the top to the bottom. It was exciting at age 19 as I got to look at all the old equipment in there, and get an idea how it used to operate. The old wood tanks and all the explosion proof Switches not knowing 51 years later I would be writing about it and that the company would be out of business. I am one of very few Kinsey workers still living. And to see the Kinsey name be bought and brought back is wonderful. And I want to thank all the people who read my Posts. It was sad when I went into the plant with my friends who watch the plant to see the Old Pine tree I cared for on the yard gang knocked down when they cut up the old 1/2 Million gal tanks mid plant. Ludy Now passed On was Hard I loved that man, I can still see him trying to teach me how to be a Cooper. I was so bad he gave me a worn out Coopers Hammer and hand sledge saying you will never make it as a cooper.

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-It Seems All the Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon -==--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• 3 months later...

The Owners son since he died, has had all the Stainless tanks in the 1966 Bottling house taken out and cut up and sold Plus the two 1/2 Million gallon tanks up on the hill mid Plant.. Glad I got the Pictures I posted on this thread back a few years ago. Kinsey is on the cusp of something Happening in a couple of weeks as I said on another thread it may be sold very soon for 20 Million dollars! If it happens i will tell what is going to happen if it does almost  all if not all of the Explosion Proof warehouses will be saved and used! Sounds crazy but the Idea will work. Let you know soon can't say any more!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory America's 

Most Magnificent Bourbon

Edited by dave ziegler
  • I like it 1

• 3 months later...

Here are 3 Pictures of A new Bottle of the New  Kinsey 10 year American Whiskey I am now able to Post and will be Posting allot soon. In the new bottles they have put a Fake Tax strip that really adds the the Old School style. I wrote about this whiskey on my Memories thread.

Dave Z

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

DSCN9038.jpg

DSCN9039.jpg

DSCN9040.jpg

• 1 month later...

A few years  back I posted these Pictures of Doug Frick's  and My restored Kinsey Whiskey Barrels that Fricky refinished for Myself and Him. I just found these Pictures and I am Posting them again. These Barrels were gotten at the Distillery in Warehouse C in the Early 2000's years and they Both have a custom Glass top over the Head to protect  Their writing on the Head. I can't do this kind of work so I really  was and am Thankful That Fricky did them for us. It was allot of work for him. There are NO more Barrels at Kinsey but these are from 1971 the Last year I worked there.

Just thought it would be nice to Post them again for anyone had not seen them.

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest People  Drink Old Hickory

------------------------------------------------------------

1412756_585453181521003_1185886473_o.jpg

1456098_585452961521025_1875867273_n.jpg

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, dave ziegler said:

A few years  back I posted these Pictures of Doug Frick's  and My restored Kinsey Whiskey Barrels that Fricky refinished for Myself and Him. I just found these Pictures and I am Posting them again. These Barrels were gotten at the Distillery in Warehouse C in the Early 2000's years and they Both have a custom Glass top over the Head to protect  Their writing on the Head. I can't do this kind of work so I really  was and am Thankful That Fricky did them for us. It was allot of work for him. There are NO more Barrels at Kinsey but these are from 1971 the Last year I worked there.

Just thought it would be nice to Post them again for anyone had not seen them.

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest People  Drink Old Hickory

------------------------------------------------------------

Great pics Dave. Thanks for posting them. I have a barrel from HH. When and if I ever get done refinishing it, I hope it looks at least half as good as the one Doug did for you. :D

Cheers! Joe

Thanx for posting those images, Dave.    Those are magnificently finished!    I've seen barrels done in such a manner many times; but, none as nice as these appear here.     Congrats to you and especially to Doug!

Yes Doug Made them so Beautiful, and they are stained with many coats to keep them nice for Many Years. Thanks Richnimrod!

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

-=-=-=-=

• 4 months later...

When the weather gets better soon I hope now that I am walking and doing allot better I am going to take a walk l legalely with my friend the care taker. Do not want to get fined by the Police but with him I can go and get pictures for one last time after about more then 2 years. Will post when I am going and have pictures also. Here are some Old memory Pictures from Back in the day.

1. Pubicker under the bridge old back in day. 

2. Old sign I saved from Kinsey.

3. Sign from the DSP #10 Pa Pot Still at Kinsey barn saved this from under a Pile of stone that was the Distiller.

Dave Z -----------------------------

=================================

Publicker.jpeg

DSCN9503.JPG

DSCN9504.JPG

Edited by dave ziegler

• 3 months later...

Today I am feeling Well Having gotten over Many Health troubles  last year into spring, and I have just found some of my Many Pictures from 7 years ago when I could go there freely and take Pictures. My computer had crashed and I lost alot but seems I saved more than I thought. I will be Posting pictures on all 3 of my Pages.

1. In the old Plant Electric Shop.

2. Another shot in the shop which is completely destroyed now.

3. The old Grain drying Building Built by Jacob G Kinsey.

4. Old Whisky warehouse A the very First one built by Jacob G Kinsey.

5. This Picture is of the Old Repair spot were Dickey phifer used to work on the old trucks from the 1940's they used in the plant. It was a metal roof made between the Old # 10 pot still barn and warehouses A & B first ones built there.

I will continue more Pictures on my two other threads.

Dave Z

================================================

004.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

009.JPG

012.JPG

• 6 months later...

Here are some 1966 Bottling house Pictures. These are Just a few of many I have.

1. Cal Roberts the Company Fireman in Lunch room.

2. Walt Harrington Shop steward for the Union and Bud Berkey in the lunch room 1966 Bottling house.

3. Leaking bottle repair Line. These are Liquor Bottles.

4. Bottle Repair line. Mixed repair Line.

Plan on Posting lots of my Pictures again on my 3 threads.

Dave Z

===========================

Kinsey The Unhurried Whisky

102_0480.JPG

102_0472.JPG

102_0486.jpg

102_0488.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler
  • I like it 1

• 5 months later...

Hoping that I can go walk around Kinsey with my friends with out breaking the Law sometime in the  future it is really in ruin now!

here are 4 Pictures of the Old Jake Kinsey Bottling house built in the 1930's was Used in the end till 1979 for Liquors had 4 lines. It is so bad now you can not walk in there anymore. And sadly I have seen some of my Pictures taken by people claiming they are theirs. So any way I am doing alright now and getting close to my Birthday when I will be 72 years Old. I am proud to have been able to keep History alive .

Dave Z 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon.

022.thumb.JPG.43c298bdda6a518559d5431ad8f66f14.JPG

014.thumb.JPG.ddfd8407efc4b2b61132dc4dc1f98440.JPG

015.thumb.JPG.d30fc98a78690d9fc1f4e6c8a8116b38.JPG

022.thumb.JPG.43c298bdda6a518559d5431ad8f66f14.JPG

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...

Hello been sick a lot Lately but doing Better  Picture 1. Here is My one of a Kind Picture of the Explosion Proof Warehouses at completion in 1947 the year I was born This was given to me by one of the Neuman Family it used to Hang  in  Their Headquarters in Philadelphia I had it completely reframed cleaned and Protective Glass put in with Facts about the Plant. 2.  This is a Picture of the only  original First Warehouses built by Jacob G. Kinsey in Late 1800's This being the first one Warehouse A No elevators barrel brought down by Chain Hoist standing on a small wood walkway! We emptied it when I stared their in 1966 and never put anymore Barrels in it. Picture 3 the Old original Kinsey Grain drying Building Built late 1800's Was a  locker room upstairs when I worked their My old Friend Charlie hung out their and kept His Buggy he built off an old car Frame Powered by a Ford Flathead V8, in the bottom area of the building. When work would start Charlie would roar out of there going sideways around  the old grain storage. Will be doing more Posting soon, but for Now this is it.

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey 

For Unhurried Moments

10733933_884627541603564_8364210316250849368_o.jpg

009.thumb.JPG.385385385c4d158bd742ebefbeb12d56.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.76efba527a4d8f6469533cf97ea88ede.JPG

• I like it 1

Thanks again for all the pics Dave. Keep ‘em coming. Glad you’re felling better. 

Biba! Joe

• 4 months later...

Happy Memorial day Joe hope you are Well going to try and do some writing on My Threads feeling better right now BE WELL JOE

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Well here I am made it through all this rotten stuff and still going. Hoping to get a Chance for one Last trip to Kinsey with my Friend who watch the place so as not to get in trouble with Police. Doing it with my friends who are Care takers. How Are you Joe? Here are a couple of my Old Pictures.

1. The Old Maintenance Barn which was burned down Just before this weird Health stuff.

2. The Old First Barrel Warehouse A built by Jake Kinsey at the turn of the Century.

3. The Little Building in between Warehouse A and the Old Kinsey Barn where the Pot Still was  door opening was where Dickie Pheifer worked on the old Company trucks and cars that ran around the plane when I worked there.

4. One of the Warehouse Signs I saved from warehouse R.

5. Sign from the old DSP 12 Distilling Building I dug out of a Pile of Wreckage when the Still had been Knocked down.

6. Stair from the Old Barn Pot Still going up cut out and Saved.

Dave  Z

Join The Swing To Old Hickory 

004.thumb.JPG.e9830ef7306171981c8a698d32d636d0 (1).JPG

009.thumb.JPG.385385385c4d158bd742ebefbeb12d56.JPG

012.thumb.JPG.299642d42f910cdc4cbc184bd215c1e0.JPG

055.thumb.JPG.94ced69e34453ec7b2cbf1ea34df2508.JPG

10405472_699437360122584_7376359558313475729_n.jpg

10505577_699436853455968_7928653569926117520_n.jpg

• I like it 4

Lat 60's mostly 1970's Your Grand Father would have been there.

Take Care.

Dave Z 

========================

Join The Swing To Kinsey.

On 7/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, dave ziegler said:

Lat 60's mostly 1970's Your Grand Father would have been there.

Take Care.

Dave Z 

========================

Join The Swing To Kinsey.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

1. Picture of the Old American Legion Post started By Harry Publicker.

2. Old Hickory Truck.

3. Ariel Picture of the Plant 1947 The Year I was born, I Have this Hanging on My Wall Had it completely Restored Years ago when Given to Me By My Friend who was the  Director of  Sales for PubLicker.

4. Picture I took better then 10 Years ago in the Old Original Kinsey bottle House Called the Happy house by the Ladies who Worked it There. Was Run right till the End as All Liquors were made and Bottled there.

I will Be Posting more on Here Soon.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

America's most Magnificent Bourbon.

10429835_700903089976011_3154180997721410544_n.jpg

post-1964-14489814412036.jpg.ce8c0db0a1a4867468222e1e0ced2f38.jpg

10733933_884627541603564_8364210316250849368_o Kinsey 1947.jpg

015.thumb.JPG.d30fc98a78690d9fc1f4e6c8a8116b38.JPG.cb58d723ddf4e26aadd3694014a62bd8.jpg

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...

Here are a couple more of my Hundreds of Pictures.

1. Lights  shining Over the Old Out front of the Plant Water next to the 1966 State of Art Bottling House.

2. Sign I dug out of a Pile of rocks the Old DSP # 10 Barn  Pot  Distiller Sign Have this in the Rafters of My  Garage for History.

3. one of two Old Bottles Of Scotch I found in the Old Now Burned down Maintenance Barn. Drank One still have some of the Second one

4. Old Inver House Barrel Head I found in the Plant it Now Hangs in My Kitchen as a Clock Will Put a Picture some time.

5. Brass Barrel Stencil  1945 for Inking Barrel Heads given to Me by My Friend who was the Head of World Wide Marketing.

Hope you Enjoy these Pictures and will be Back soon. I posted Pictures on all 3 of My Threads.

Dave Z 

Join The Swing To Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

74632505_10221478189045539_3646783587740549120_n.jpg

DSCN9504.JPG.8198033b3567b625393eb0641906283d.jpg

DSCN9415 (1).JPG

DSCN4487.JPG

post-1964-14489816844709_thumb.jpg.26b16ca15a2e48c4816f08594cecb06d.jpg

Edited by dave ziegler
  • I like it 3