Willett 23 yo Rye reviewed

Sijan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Malt Advocate reviews the Willett 23 yo Rye (scroll down a bit) in its upcoming issue. I assume this is the "Iron Fist" from the stated proof, although the description reads like the "Velvet Glove" and the proofs differ by only 0.1. I don't have a bottle with me to look at, so am not sure which bottling is "Barrel #2."

94 Willett Rye, Barrel #2, 23 year old, 68.5%, $175

Incredibly soft and mellow for a rye whiskey, with no signs of excessive oak. This whiskey is obviously of the same pedigree as the Willett Rye 22 year old bottling reviewed here a year ago. It’s another impressive whiskey. Light toffee, nougat, and rummy notes are accentuated by crisp mint, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Earl Grey tea. Pristine on the palate, with lingering cinnamon warmth on the finish. A polished whiskey, with surprising subtlety and finesse. At 137 proof, it’s like getting a third of a bottle free!

The previous bottling (the 22 yo) received this review:

96 Willett Family Reserve, Single Barrel (Rye, Barrel #618), 22 year old, 1984 vintage, 68.35%, $175

The first rye whiskey I have tasted to rival the Sazerac Rye 18 year old. This is a great whiskey from beginning to end. Soothing layers of sweetness (vanilla, maple syrup, cookie dough, toffee) are balanced by candied fruit and waves of spice (mint, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder).l The palate is clean, the flavors are deep, the spices are well-defined, and there’s not one hint of excessive or tired oak. A bench-mark rye. (A Ledger’s Liquors exclusive.) (4th Quarter 2007 Issue-Vol. 15#4)

Malt Advocate reviews the Willett 23 yo Rye (scroll down a bit) in its upcoming issue. I assume this is the "Iron Fist" from the stated proof, although the description reads like the "Velvet Glove" and the proofs differ by only 0.1. I don't have a bottle with me to look at, so am not sure which bottling is "Barrel #2."

94 Willett Rye, Barrel #2, 23 year old, 68.5%, $175

Incredibly soft and mellow for a rye whiskey, with no signs of excessive oak. This whiskey is obviously of the same pedigree as the Willett Rye 22 year old bottling reviewed here a year ago. It’s another impressive whiskey. Light toffee, nougat, and rummy notes are accentuated by crisp mint, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Earl Grey tea. Pristine on the palate, with lingering cinnamon warmth on the finish. A polished whiskey, with surprising subtlety and finesse. At 137 proof, it’s like getting a third of a bottle free!

The previous bottling (the 22 yo) received this review:

96 Willett Family Reserve, Single Barrel (Rye, Barrel #618), 22 year old, 1984 vintage, 68.35%, $175

The first rye whiskey I have tasted to rival the Sazerac Rye 18 year old. This is a great whiskey from beginning to end. Soothing layers of sweetness (vanilla, maple syrup, cookie dough, toffee) are balanced by candied fruit and waves of spice (mint, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder).l The palate is clean, the flavors are deep, the spices are well-defined, and there’s not one hint of excessive or tired oak. A bench-mark rye. (A Ledger’s Liquors exclusive.) (4th Quarter 2007 Issue-Vol. 15#4)

Has there been enough lead time for it to have been one of Jake/Crash's bottlings?

It could be the West Coast Study Group/Ledger's Liquors second bottling as well. I'll check the proof of that tonight.

Roger

Has there been enough lead time for it to have been one of Jake/Crash's bottlings?

It could be the West Coast Study Group/Ledger's Liquors second bottling as well. I'll check the proof of that tonight.

Roger

I believe the proof of the second was exact same as the first, which I always sort of wondered about.... :skep:

Well, they were released in November. Not sure how much lead time is needed, but it was over 4 months ago.

My bottles show Barrel #618, which came from the first release, IIRC.

JOE

#618 for the first, #8 for the second both were 68.35%
That's what I thought... and have a hard time believing.

I'm pretty sure this is Velvet Glove, which is labeled as 68.5% abv. Iron Fist is labeled 68.55% abv!

I'm pretty sure this is Velvet Glove, which is labeled as 68.5% abv. Iron Fist is labeled 68.55% abv!

Ah, then the proofs are just mixed up on the ACE Beverage web site.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.