Van Winkle's 13y (and older) rye

bourbonmed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There are still bottles of 18yr Sazerac Rye on the shelves...but this whiskey was the result of some 'forgotten' barrels, and when it's gone, it's gone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I didn't really expect it to live up to my memories when I tried it for the second time; if anything, it was even better than I remembered.

The VWFRR 13 and the Sazerac were sitting next to each other, both opened and not getting much play time. This renewed interest in rye seems to follow the weather. Cold weather, more rye??? Tonight will be rye night. 15 degrees, decorate the tree, drink a rye. I wonder what the tree will look like tomorrow. crazy.gif

• 1 month later...

Hello, Dave. I must agree with you. Julians 13yr Rye Whiskey is one of the best Whiskeys on the market period. wink.giftongue.gif I special ordered some additional bottles today and have 3 more waiting for me in KY. smile.gif I will be there in a month or so to pick them up along with some Stagg I have waiting for me. If I could afford it and if it was available I would bye my own barrel of Julians 13yr Rye. grin.gif Would call it Creggors Special Reserve. blush.gif I am affraid to even ask Julian if a barrel would be available because if he ever said yes I just might have to get divorced. frown.gif It's that dam good. grin.giftongue.gifblush.gifsmile.gif Creggor.

I think I saw elsewhere in this forum that Julian would provide that service. No idea what the cost would be. I remember a few years ago that you could get a barrel of Jack Daniels,The empty barrel and about 20 cases of 750ml for around 6000. There are custom barrels available at L&G as well , when we were there last September I asked Chris Morris about it.( Not that I can play that game, I just thought it was interesting) He said he thought it was between 8-12 Thousand.

$12,000?!?!?!? Damn!!!!!

Hmmm could I get it bottled any way I wanted??

$12,000 for 200 bottles of uncut/unfiletered Barrel Proof Woodford Reserve. . . .(roughly $60 a bottle. . )

Now that may be an enticing offer. . .

TomC

(Hmmm there are more than 200 registered users, anybody a taker at 60 dollars a pop. . . crazy.gifconfused.giftongue.gif !)

Tom,

I spoke with John Vereeke from Buffalo Trace about buying a barrel that was barreled on my son's birthday and the response was positive, but I don't recall the price. I didn't fall down. It seemed reasonable. I think he even offered to have me sample barrels at the distillery.

shocked.gif

That really is an intriguing idea. Maybe someday if I am a little better off than I am now, that could become a possiblity.

TomC

• 4 weeks later...

There were later posts on VW 13 year old but this seems the best one to continue discussion if we have a "coalition of the willing". smile.gif

I find many insights in this thread so far, but have some questions:

1) What does it mean to say the 13 year old is all bottled? Here in Feb. '03 there are bottles available. Are these all new stock?

2) If so, what are the differences from the one made in '85? E.g. mashbill, producer differences.

I just bought a bottle in New York City on a recent business trip. This one strikes me as quite different from the 12 year Old Time ( I never had the original 13 year old but believe it was the same as the 12 just higher in proof).

Anyway the current one is rich, spicy, medicinal-like. Cough syrup in a good way. Not bourbon-leaning at all, which leads me to think it is from a different source than the first 13/12 year olds. (Or if there isn't a "new" one out there, could such taste differences derive just from different barrels of the one and the same?).

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Yes, Julian's original 13y rye is history. But as many of you have discovered recently, there's great news for fans of this masterpiece.

Julian was able to select a few more (UD owned) barrels, so the brand survives for now. It's the same distillation as before, the label still says 13 yrs, but it is much older. This whiskey is coming quite 'mature' compared to his previous barrels. Most importantly, Julian says it's still wonderful. grin.gifgrin.gif

How to tell new bottles from old? The numbers and letters on the label keep getting higher with the newer releases.

Julian says if he could find additional barrels, he'd like to do a barrel-proof, unchilled-filtered whiskey someday. We can only hope.

Cheers,

Omar

We can only hope is an understatement Omar. Having a barrel-proof, unchilled-filtered version would be wonderful! Here's to Julian and 'hope'. grin.gifwink.gif

--> Mark R.

Good news on the continued release of Julian's excellent rye, I've got a few bottles stashed away but now I won't have to be so stingy. Mardi Gras just around the corner. Guess I'll get out the Herbsaint, it's time to mix up a Sazerac or 3.

• 1 month later...

My favorite store just received a new shipment of VWFR 13yo rye. The bottle numbers begin with the letter "E". The bottles I have stashed at home begin with the letter "C". The bottles and labels are otherwise identical. So, can I assume the "E" bottles are the latest release and are actually much older than 13yo (and older than my "C" bottles)? Also, are both releases from the same stock?

SpeedyJohn

I heard from someone (but I'm not even sure if it is true or not) that say a "C" means it is in reality 15 years old. If that would be true then "E" would be 17?! If anyone can confirm or deny this, by all means please let us know. If it is true, I'm driving to PA! wink.gifsmile.gif

John and Mark:

Anything labeled as bottled in Frankfort would be Julian's new batch. They are the "E" labels, distilled in 1984.

Omar

According to Julian Van Winkle last week, the current bottling (the "E" I guess) is 15 years old.

• 2 months later...

Omar,

Just got around to reading your reply (and all the others) on 13 YO Van Winkle Rye and got to looking at my labels. I have some bottles that just have bottle numbers and some with a B in front of the numbers that were bottled in Lawrenceburg (hard to keep up with all these numbers on how old is what) banghead.gif but one this is for sure. All the Van Winkle Ryes are supurb!! Here's to Julian!!! toast.gif

Cheers,

Marvin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.