Rye - sourmash?

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are current Rye whiskey's made using a sour mash?

Wade,

I believe I posed that same question to Larry Kass a few years ago. I can't remember his answer.

The premise is ......if rye is made in only one or two production days per year, where does the spent mash come from ?

Well if MM can use HH slop to startup, I don't see why you couldn't use spent bourbon mash to start rye, as long as the final grain percentages stay within guidelines (>51% rye, in other words)...or does backset even count towards to percentages?

Since the backset contains nothing fermentable no alcohol can come from it, hence it doesn't count.

Yes, the sour mash process is used in the production of straight rye whiskey.

• 7 months later...

so then I am assuming it is bourbon sour mash that is used. Would this affect the taste? Do all of the rye batches use bourbon sour mash, or do later rye batches use rye sour mash? It seems if the first used bourbon sour mash and then the subsequent ones used rye sour mash it would make for differences.

At the beginning of a run, whether for bourbon or rye, there is no setback available so the mash is soured using lactobasilis. Thereafter, spent mash from the rye run is used. The rye mash is not soured using bourbon mash.

the mash is soured using lactobasilis.

According to Wikipedia:

Lactobacillus is a genus of Gram-positive facultative anaerobic or microaerophilic bacteria. They are a major part of the lactic acid bacteria group, named as such because most of its members convert lactose and other sugars to lactic acid. They are common and usually benign. In humans they are present in the vagina and the gastrointestinal tract, where they are symbiotic and make up a small portion of the gut flora. Many species are prominent in decaying plant material. The production of lactic acid makes its environment acidic which inhibits the growth of some harmful bacteria.
Hmm... is certainly not what I was expecting. I prefer my sour mash not infused with bacteria from the vagina and colon. ;-)

Dang Kick, that's just the kind of information I really don't want to know! ;) Kinda takes the shine off this pour of Baby Saz I've been enjoying...:D

Lots of different bacteria and enzymes are helpful, lacto-fermented foods and whatnot. Everyone should eat some of their food raw. And not just salad, but dishes with raw eggs, whether home made Ice cream or home made mayo and salad dressings, even meat. Steak tartar or extra rare "bleu" roast beef.

Lactobacillus is also used in making yogurt and pickles. It performs the same function it does in the vagina and intestinal tract: inhibiting the growth of less benign bacteria by lowering the pH.

Lactobacillus is also used in making yogurt and pickles. It performs the same function it does in the vagina and intestinal tract: inhibiting the growth of less benign bacteria by lowering the pH.

Which is exactly what it does in a bourbon mash.

You know.....I have had a few bottles of whiskey lately that were very musty. I thought it might be cork taint but it could have just been a female bottle. I'm actually hoping that wasn't @$$ I was smelling.:bigeyes:

I think I'll go gargle with scotch.

You know.....I have had a few bottles of whiskey lately that were very musty. I thought it might be cork taint but it could have just been a female bottle. I'm actually hoping that wasn't @$$ I was smelling.:bigeyes:

I think I'll go gargle with scotch.

:lol::lol:

Ah, that's two good ones on SB.COM today. I'm just not sure scotch is going to cleanse you, though!

:toast:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.