44 Cordial

wintermute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just started making this drink last night after reading about it in Saveur magazine (excellent cooking mag).

Take an orange, stab it 44 times,

place 44 coffee beans in the orange,

put the orange in a 1 liter wide mouth mason jar

put 44 teaspoons of sugar (a scant cup) into the jar

fill the jar with white rum and shake.

Let it sit in a cool dark place for 44 days, shake occasionally.

I'll have to let you all know how it turns out in May.

Aeh, what the heck. I have the ingredients, and I have the time. In the name of science, I'll do it too. We'll compare. It ain't gonna blow up, is it?

Cheers!

JOE

Ah, the sacrifices we make in the name of science! Make sure to be completely objective in your report!

Cracker - shake the jar. I only twitch every once in a while.

forgot to mention the back-end of the recipe

strain through cheesecloth into a clean bottle

store in freezer

serve neat or over ice.

I figure it'll wind up being a half-price substitute for campari or cointreau.

I figure it'll wind up being a half-price substitute for campari or cointreau.

Have you tried Patron Citronge? To me, it has a purer orange flavor than Cointreau, and less burn. Here in OR the Cointreau costs $40 and the Citronge $25, which is almost half the price.

We were introduced to it a couple of years ago by a friend, an assistant manager at a wine/liquor store back in FL. This same guy turned me on to Buffalo Trace and Forty Creek. The Citronge and a good tequila (we use Cielo) makes for a really fine margarita.

Have you tried Patron Citronge?

Never heard of it, but I'm going to have to pick some up! I can't afford to put cointreau in my margaritas, and I can't bring myself to use triple sec.

Thanks for the tip!

Update: The liquid has pretty much absorbed all of the sugar (although when I shake it a bit, density bands are visible) and has taken on an orange color...

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Decanted the stuff and took a swig. Really nice orange and surpisingly noticable coffee nose. Both the orange and coffee come out in the taste and do a good job of suppressing the alcohol in the rum. A little too sweet - next time will use less, but I expect this to work great in margaritas.

Thanks. I've been waiting for a Cordial update. I am planning to try it if your experiment works. Is it worth the effort?

It's really not much effort at all. It's definitely going to be good in a margarita. Realized last night that we have no tequila and man, that stuff's expensive these days!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.