The Authority Cited

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I find it extremely peculiar that you describe the legalization of selling alcohol on Sunday as a "government mandate" or as a "mandatory increase in open hours." Exactly what is mandated by legalizing Sunday sales?

Nothing you mentioned affects my point that lots of businesses in the service industry - yes, even small businesses - function just fine without being prohibited from selling their products or services one day per week. Employees don't work every day, so being open all seven days per week doesn't really affect much. And to the extent it does affect total hours worked, many people want more hours rather than fewer, so it's a boon to some and a drawback for others. But the idea that the "problem" needs to be "solved" by a law prohibiting Sunday sales is absurd. Many businesses in the service industry are (voluntarily) closed on Mondays, for instance.

I find it extremely peculiar that you describe the legalization of selling alcohol on Sunday as a "government mandate" or as a "mandatory increase in open hours." Exactly what is mandated by legalizing Sunday sales?

Should I really assume customers will shop in my store six days a week, but simply attend the competition across the street on Sunday before returning to us?

Some will, but some will abandon us for the 7-day service. What percentage is acceptable? It's a business, not a non-profit organization. We'd HAVE TO BE open!

To the extent that your store "has" to be open in order to survive, it is a consquence of market pressures (consumer demand) rather than any government mandate.

But even with these market forces, many businesses - particularly small businesses - have voluntarily made the decision not to be open on Sundays or Mondays or other days of the week, and seem to survive just fine.

What is so unique about liquor stores that makes it important that we ban liquor sales on Sundays but not milk sales or gas sales or pizza sales?

You keep trying to suggest that legalizing sales on Sundays would be an act of the oppressive hand of government intervention, when it's precisely the opposite. You are calling for the (continued) heavy-handed government intervention in the form of a prohibition (where people are arrested or lose their alcohol license for violating the law) of sales in order to solve a scheduling problem faced by just about every other business out there. Good grief!

As this now has become a full-blown political discussion (and probably subject to relocation by our Moderators. :o), for any interested, here is a somewhat official rebuttal to the Governor's opinion from last week:

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/stories/2008/04/02/williamsed0402.html

Doing my part for Fair and Balanced reporting...

JOE

From the rebuttal article:

There are those who say that so-called "blue laws" are a Southern tradition. If they are right, it is a tradition that has gone the way of the horse-drawn carriage in the rest of the South. No other Southern state bans Sunday sales. In fact, in all the nation only Connecticut and Indiana join Georgia in the practice. Not Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee or the Carolinas —- only cosmopolitan Georgia clings to remnants of its prohibitionist past.

It's not a true state, but DC also prohibits liquor sales on Sunday, although grocery stores can still sell beer and wine.

And this thread started out so nicely too, as a celebration of me.

:lol: Still celebrating you in Atlanta, Chuck. I sometimes sit in wonder, at my thread killing prowess. Now, I can ponder my inabilities to start a thread that makes it past 3 posts that keep on subject. :shithappens:

:toast:

JOE

And this thread started out so nicely too, as a celebration of me.

Take heart, Chuck. I just ordered a copy of your book.

Take heart, Chuck. I just ordered a copy of your book.

I just received my copy and I can't put it down. Chuck thank you for writing such a great book!

Jason

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.