Evan Williams 1783

fogfrog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went to a local liquor store and they had the Evan Williams 1783 for under twenty bucks for 1.75L bottle. Now the BIB EW White was more than that... and as far as I know, not aged.... The 1783 also does not have an age statement. I am curious about the 1783, if it is better than the black or the white...... I just might buy it to check it out... Anyone tried it?

The EW 1783 1 year ago was a 10 YO bourbon. It, along with many other bourbons, have dropped the age statement. In general this is due to the current shortage of older bourbon. My suggestion - so if you can't find a bottle of the 1783 with 10 YO on the bottle.

If you do a search for "asparagus" you will find quite a few references to 1783. Personally I like asparagus and am disappointed that I do not feel the same about 1783.

• 3 weeks later...

Since a half gallon of 1783 is the same price as a half gallon of EW Black, which do you think tastes better?

I always associate my bottle of EW1783 (10 yo age statement) with "corn husk" -- not the mint/menthol of the black label. (Asparagus? I'll have to try it again tonight!)

EW7 (I stocked up when the age statement disappeared) is my "sorry-I-don't-keep-any-Jack" pour for Jack Daniel's drinkers who visit.

• 2 weeks later...

At 12$ + tax this has been the cheapest bourbon I have bought to date and I definitely give it a thumbs up. I don't taste any asparugus.

I too think this is a tasty bourbon with some character and complexity. I haven't picked up asparagus in my bottle. I'll be buying another.

Not available here, I've wanted to give this a try since I read the good review in Wine Enthusiast. Pacault called it 'the best bargain in spirits' at the time of the review, years ago. Non 10-year may not still qualify, but it's still good enough to remain on my 'seek and destroy' list.

I liked it when it was still 10 y/o. Haven't had any of the new stuff and probably won't because PA discontinued it.

Joe :usflag:

The following are my notes for Evan Williams 1783:

Appearance- rich dark gold

Nose- paint thinner, molasses, brown sugar

Palate- medium body, chewy and sweet

Finish- clean, sweet finish

Comments- Good, though unremarkable. Definitely a quality pour at this price point ($11). Best value in bourbon? Currently, I award that moniker to Old Weller Antique. However, my quest for the Best Value Bourbon (BVB) is in process.

Blessings,

mathews

• 4 weeks later...

I have yet to detect any paint thinner on the nose or asparugus anywhere in this bourbon. The nose is what initially won me over. I sort of got a red pop with vanilla ice cream float smell.

I did start to detect a mustiness at some point in the nose and taste and now I find it has a bitterness throughout. Its not bad and there are good flavors there but it is not an every day drinker for me.

I may open it two months from now and think something different.

I like this one, it was always worth more than its price. I don't buy it anymore since the age statement was dropped making it less special than it was and I prefer to invest in higher proof bottlings.

Regards,

Squire

I have a bottle... I have yet to be impressed by this. Many of rave reviews, but it seems to fall short for the price to me... I'd rather have the centennial

• 1 month later...

Any one had this one yet? It's not expensive but I thought I might try it...Is it 1783 or 1873? Now I cant remember...Thanks..

Any one had this one yet? It's not expensive but I thought I might try it...Is it 1783 or 1873? Now I cant remember...Thanks..

It became an NAS a while back (had been 10yo).

I bought a bottle of the NAS a couple of months ago, and wasn't impressed. We've been using it as a bourbon-and-coke bourbon.

I'm sorry to say I never tried the 10yo.

CAUTION: the NAS has a "10" prominently displayed on the label. Read the fine print - it will say "Number 10 Brand".

The 10 year old version read "10 Years Old"

I bought a bottle recently and really liked it. If I could find it locally again I'd buy more.

It's been discussed here a lot. A search might turn up various threads on it. It seems to put people in two camps....its a love it or hate it bourbon w/o many in the middle. A unique flavor in the HH family. I recall it taking the HH mentholyptus flavors to the max.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.