Outdoor Grilling

luv2hunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spring is here and at my house, that means the grill is making dinner every night! Whether it goes with bourbon or not, what's your favorite grill recipe? Here's one of mine....mostly because it's good, simple, and doesn't really need a side dish if you're in a hurry :)

Bacon Wrapped Pork Chops

Thick cut butterfly pork chops

on top of each pork chop place:

a slice of sweet onion

a slice of tomato

a slice of red/green or yellow pepper (which ever you prefer)

wrap with two slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks....use a third slice of bacon and drape it across the top of the stack

Cook slowly on a med heat grill....about 40-50 minutes until pork is cooked.

Place a slice of cheddar cheese across the top of each pork stack. Remove from grill when cheese is melted.

Enjoy :)

Dawn

Spring is here and at my house, that means the grill is making dinner every night! Whether it goes with bourbon or not, what's your favorite grill recipe? Here's one of mine....mostly because it's good, simple, and doesn't really need a side dish if you're in a hurry :)

Bacon Wrapped Pork Chops

Thick cut butterfly pork chops

on top of each pork chop place:

a slice of sweet onion

a slice of tomato

a slice of red/green or yellow pepper (which ever you prefer)

wrap with two slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks....use a third slice of bacon and drape it across the top of the stack

Cook slowly on a med heat grill....about 40-50 minutes until pork is cooked.

Place a slice of cheddar cheese across the top of each pork stack. Remove from grill when cheese is melted.

Enjoy :)

Dawn

I did luckily enough my first outdoor grilling for the season on Friday. The pork slices marinated in curry paste, soya, Tabasco and vegetable oil was very spicy and juicy.

Today everything is white and it is snowing as hell.

Leif

That pork chop recipe sounds great, I'll try that one. Do you use thicker chops when you grill?

I just grilled up a big pork roast yesterday, it was pretty fantastic.

I got one of those digital thermometers with the probe at the end of a wire, those things are indispensable. I grill over wood and sometimes it can be difficult to maintain consistent temperatures, especially if you grill something big like a roast, a turkey, etc. which requires long cooking time. The meat thermometer will cost you ten or twenty bucks and is worth the investment.

Cheers!

Ah, just re-read your recipe, thick cut it is.

Out door grilling, in April....in the SNOW!!! What the heck is up with that? I woke up at 3 this morning to start a couple Pork Butts and a Brisket only to find our yard covered in snow...

I have a ways to go before I retire, but I think I need some where with a little warmer weather.

My families favorite grill recipe is simple one, Beef Tenderloin Steaks from Costco. I just put a little seasoning on them and fire up the grill. I get it as close to 1000º as I can then put the steaks on for 2.5 minutes a side. I have a caste iron grate that puts some incredible sear marks into them. Then I take them off the grill and shut it all down until it hits about 400º which takes about 30 minutes. The Steaks just sit uncovered on the counter during this cool down. Then they go back on for about 6 minutes a side and come off nice and rare and juicy and tender.

Not really anything to it, but we don't cook them that often, and it's my families favorite.

I grill and smoke all year long...but it sure is nice to do when the weather gets nice here, some time aound the end of JULY!!!!:hot:

:toast:

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't feel like burgers or chicken on the grill the other night, so I stopped to buy a couple of steaks to toss on the grill.

The teenage bottomless pit enjoyed a 14 oz ribeye and my wife and I each had 8oz portions of beef tenderloin cooked just shy of medium. Potatoes baked naked on the grill and steamed asparagus rounded out the meal. Running a metal skewer though the potatoes before putting them on the grill helps get some heat to the inside of the tater and accellerates the cooking.

The neigborhood smelled delicious.

Hmmmm.... grilling is great but now is the season for brisket, ribs, chicken and pork shoulder done low and slow in the smoker.....

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are having a little cookout today with our son, daughter in-law and grand daughter. It has a bit of a bourbon theme. We're having Bush's grillin' beans. A combo of the bourbon and smokehouse varieties. We're also having hot dogs and steaks. I have some barrel char from BT that I got last year at the KBF, and we're gonna add that to the charcoal and see if it makes a difference. Can't wait. Mmmmm Mmmmmmm! Joe

• 9 months later...

I bone a leg of lamb and marinate it overnight in a mixture of wholegrain mustard, brown sugar, soy sauce, maple syrup and Evan Williams Black Label. I then truss it up and cook it on the rotisserie on the BBQ with the Hood down. I use EW because it doesnt provide a strong char flavour to with lamb. You can do the same with beef by adding a few peppercorns to the mix and swapping EW with something like WT 101 or Rarebreed. The WT seems to provide the beef with a stronger flavour.

Sunday was a grill day at The Phalen's.

Entire meal on the grill.

Marinated chicken thighs with fresh squeezed tangerince juice, rosemary, garlic, shallot and Woodford Four Grain (Batch 1). The tangerine works well with the copper.

Roasted red potatoes with scallions.

Grilled Colored peppers.

Served with a Dry French Rose

Dessert: Grilled Grapefruit half drizzled with Peach Schnapps.

My family's favorite is a thick T-Bone with Kosher Salt and Smoked Pepper applied generously then grilled over hot coals and Hickory or Pecan chunks flaming up to the meat. Cook hot in the flame till the outside is almost charred and the very middle is very rare. It's called a Boston Broil in some restaurants. I don't know about temperatures I do it by feel.

Serve with collards and corn cooked in it's husk in the hood of the grill in the smoke.

Desert is grilled pineapple slices over pineapple sorbet or grilled Peach halves with a small scoop of Peach sorbet in them.

Last weekend it was almost too cold to grill here in Florida - it got down to the 60's - but I slow smoked a Salmon Filet that I marinated in Olive oil, chopped roasted garlic and fresh Basil. - yum.

As far as Bourbon with the steak - I add plenty of char and a little Bing cherry flavors to a vatting that is mostly EW 1783 and it goes really well with any red meat from the grill.

That Salmon rub looks great!! Thanks for the link - I'm going to try it next time I do some Salmon.

I think your right about the salt.

Tuesday evening we had company so I smoked two chickens:

Chickens: Kosher, pre-brined

Spice Rub: Paprika, Thyme, Fresh Cracked Pepper

Wood-Chip Soak: Beer (Firestone Double Barrel Ale), Apple Cider Vinegar, Bourbon (WL Weller 12yo)

I take off the top grill on my BBQ and fence off the (natural) charcoal in 1/4 of the bottom space, and put a thick piece of foil down in the remaining 3/4 bottom space, for the chickens to sit on. Cook with the lid on for ~2 hours, adding wood chips to the fire every 20 - 30 minutes, turning chickens midway through.

Served with a side of porcini risotto and broiled asparagus. Dessert was strawberries and cream with a small glass of home-made limoncello.

• 1 month later...

A relative had been recommending this steak to me for over a year and, every time I saw him, he was asking if I had tried it, yet. So, yesterday afternoon after my son's baseball game, I picked up a Bone-in Ribeye. I cooked it over a charcoal fire on my old covered grill with cast iron cooking grates. Two minutes per side directly over the hot coals to sear the outside, then another 8 minutes per side not directly over the fire. It came out between rare and medium rare (the steak was about 2 inches thick).

Delicious! Easily the best steak I have ever cooked at home and easily better than 99% of the restaurant steaks I've ever had. From now on, I'm recommending the bone-in ribeye to anyone who asks.

Tim

... I picked up a Bone-in Ribeye. I cooked it over a charcoal fire on my old covered grill with cast iron cooking grates. Two minutes per side directly over the hot coals to sear the outside, then another 8 minutes per side not directly over the fire. It came out between rare and medium rare (the steak was about 2 inches thick).

Delicious! Easily the best steak I have ever cooked at home and easily better than 99% of the restaurant steaks I've ever had. From now on, I'm recommending the bone-in ribeye to anyone who asks.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Though PVW 15 is a favorite any time, it really hit the spot tonight as I was grilling a nice Top Round for some Maryland Pit Beef sandwiches. Beautiful sunny evening, Grill fired up and Pappy 15 flowing free...that is a good night! Never would have found Pappy 15 except for SB...

:toast:

Hmmmm.... grilling is great but now is the season for brisket, ribs, chicken and pork shoulder done low and slow in the smoker.....

Grilling is for those who do not know how to use a smoker.:cool:

I did 4 (6-lb) briskets last Saturday. I put them on at 6 AM and took them off at 8 PM. Keep the temp between 220 and 240 and smoked with mesquite (it's a Texas thing).

Never even got to taste that batch. Emily had promised them to co-workers.

I plan on doing a batch to repay my bourbon friends here in Indy for all the kind hospitality they have shown Emily and I. (TBA)

I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker last week and started with some basic chicken which turned out great. Moving on to some rubbed/BBQ chicken next and then perhaps to some spare or back ribs next.

I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker last week and started with some basic chicken which turned out great. Moving on to some rubbed/BBQ chicken next and then perhaps to some spare or back ribs next.

Planning on building myself a Alton Brown model smoker next week.

1 large ceramic flowerpot in which is a hotplate, a heavy duty cake pan for the wood chunks, a kettle grill grate on top and then another ceramic pot for the top, with a replacement gill thermometer stuck in the little hole on top.

Hopefully I'll be able to smoke up a pork butt in time for the Hound Down in the 313!!

Planning on building myself a Alton Brown model smoker next week.

1 large ceramic flowerpot in which is a hotplate, a heavy duty cake pan for the wood chunks, a kettle grill grate on top and then another ceramic pot for the top, with a replacement gill thermometer stuck in the little hole on top.

Hopefully I'll be able to smoke up a pork butt in time for the Hound Down in the 313!!

I love my WSM! Have you used the Virtual Weber website? Great ideas and recpies. Did you get the new 22"? Enjoy you smoking!

Yep, Randy Blank tipped me off to VWB and I've been absorbing as much as I can over there. I bought the older model 18 as the improvements didn't appeal to me at the increased cost.

Next up is a set of Guru eyelets for my probe thermometer and maybe another tweak or two.

I tried to smoke a chicken last night but I couldn't keep it lit.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

1144018620_5364bff7bb.jpg?v=0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.