Outdoor Grilling

luv2hunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yep, Randy Blank tipped me off to VWB and I've been absorbing as much as I can over there. I bought the older model 18 as the improvements didn't appeal to me at the increased cost.

Next up is a set of Guru eyelets for my probe thermometer and maybe another tweak or two.

I have had the 18" for about 6 years and love it, but I think the 22" would give me some Rib room I would like on occassion. I added a thermometer to the lid following the instructions on the VWB site and have been very happy to have that.

A couple weeks back I had worked a big week of over time...was pretty shot and had to get up early to start a couple Butts and Brisket for dinner that night. Once it was fired up and rolling at about 6:30 AM I poured a drink of WT101 and settled into the Hammock for a nice snooze...Bourbon and BBQ smoke at 6:30 AM...priceless!

Nah Dale, grilling is for those of us who need frequent feedings too much to wait for the smoke to do its magic. I'd wither away to nothing if I had to wait 14 hours.

Nah Dale, grilling is for those of us who need frequent feedings too much to wait for the smoke to do its magic. I'd wither away to nothing if I had to wait 14 hours.

You've seen me right? Me missing feedings?......I don't think so.:slappin:

I use a smoker with a side fire box. While you let all that nice smoke and heat go into the main chamber, you put a grill over the coals and grill the steak for lunch. Best of both worlds.

• 3 months later...

Grilling up some skirt steak for fajitas tonight, over hickory.

Marinade was soy, lime juice, garlic, ginger, a healthy portion of a rub I like to make and a generous shot of ERSB. I'll use tequila if I have some handy but thought I'd give bourbon a try. Very nice.

Gonna grill up a few hot peppers from my garden and some onions. Charred, smoky veggies from the grill are fantastic. I'll wash it all down with some more ER.

Cheers!

We did some outdoor grilling last night. Hamburgers with some feta and blue cheese inside them for flavouring and a bit of leftover curry paste marinade from last time on the outside. Dark and cold so I could hardly see the burgers on the grill but it got very taste anyway.

Leif

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I was going to slow smoke a couple of Pork Tenderloins but got started really late and improvised to hurry things up with good results.

I seared the tenderloins over hot hickory flame till the outside was almost charred. Moved them into a low pan off the heat source and into the smoke then basted with a spicy vinegar and red pepper sauce and Ancient Age 80 proof.

Using Hickory chunks and Hickory chips soaked in AA I kept the box smokey and hot - between 250 and 350 - for about an hour and a half. Basted with AA and then spooned the juices from the pan over the meat regularly.

Used the juice in the pan as an au jus. The meat was so juicy it wasn't necessary but it tasted so good we used it anyway.

Turned out really good.

The great thing about being the grill guy at meals is you get to carve off the charred crunchy ends for yourself - that's always the very best part.

Last weekend I was going to slow smoke a couple of Pork Tenderloins but got started really late and improvised to hurry things up with good results.

I seared the tenderloins over hot hickory flame till the outside was almost charred. Moved them into a low pan off the heat source and into the smoke then basted with a spicy vinegar and red pepper sauce and Ancient Age 80 proof.

Using Hickory chunks and Hickory chips soaked in AA I kept the box smokey and hot - between 250 and 350 - for about an hour and a half. Basted with AA and then spooned the juices from the pan over the meat regularly.

Used the juice in the pan as an au jus. The meat was so juicy it wasn't necessary but it tasted so good we used it anyway.

Turned out really good.

The great thing about being the grill guy at meals is you get to carve off the charred crunchy ends for yourself - that's always the very best part.

Sailor, recipe sounds great. Did you use pork tenderloins or pork loin? I usually direct grill the tenderloins for 15-20 min or so, or smoke them for about 40 min. I would think 300 deg for 1.5 hours would turn them into bricks. Maybe they were far from the heat?

-Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

We've had quite a reprieve in the weather here, I thought the grillin season was over, but it may reach 65 today. So I picked up some baby backs and will preboil them in beer and ginger ale before putting the on the grill for an hour early this evening. I believe some 09 ER might be required for me to tend the grill properly.

Craig

Doing the same here today Craig with the baby backs.

But no par boiling, I'm doing a slow indirect with some apple wood chips thrown on the coals.

I put 2 slabs on at 10am and they'll be ready at 2pm.

But what's this about grillin' season being over, I shovel snow in the winter to get to the grill.

Grillin' season is always in.:cool:

But what's this about grillin' season being over, I shovel snow in the winter to get to the grill.

Well I don’t fully agree with that Oscar but I try to grill outside as big part of the year as possible myself as well. I have not grilled now since September I think, but I will do my Christmas spareribs on my outside charcoal grill as usual this year. Last year as I can recall it was one degree below zero when I made them.

leif

Last year as I can recall it was one degree below zero when I made them.

1 degree below zero fahrenheit is no problem, I've done it before.

1 degree below zero celsius is a nice day in the Winter.;)

Tonight I'm just going to straight up grill a couple of steaks - this afternoon I'm anticipating what Bourbon I'll pour before during and after the meal. Sweet anticipation. Right now the plan is 4R barrel proof (from the crusade) before, Stagg or Weller during and after clean up relaxing with some Vintage 23yr Rye.

About the tenderloins mentioned earlier - 350 was as high as it got and yes the meat was in a little cooler part of the smoke box. They came off just as they reached 175 core temp.

Doing the same here today Craig with the baby backs.

But no par boiling, I'm doing a slow indirect with some apple wood chips thrown on the coals.

I put 2 slabs on at 10am and they'll be ready at 2pm.

I don't usually preboil, but the evenings are short now, so I wanted to move these along.

Maybe it's been my imagination, but I find that in cooler weather, using propane, either the tank pressure is lowered or the burner just doesn't get as hot, so grilling doesn't seem to go very fast. The other possible explanation is that, having spent much of my adult life in the south, my outlook on what constitutes good grilling weather has changed.

Craig

Beam frequently sponsors BBQs and Fred Noe's trick for finishing ribs is to pour some Booker's on them, right on the fire, which at 126 proof flames up nicely and makes a good show. Don't think you want to try that with a gas grill, however.

Well I don’t fully agree with that Oscar but I try to grill outside as big part of the year as possible myself as well. I have not grilled now since September I think, but I will do my Christmas spareribs on my outside charcoal grill as usual this year. Last year as I can recall it was one degree below zero when I made them.

leif

Leif,

What wood do you use for smoke flavor in Sweden? In the middle and southern US we use hickory, in the southwest the choice is mesquite. When I lived in Maine they used apple wood, fruit wood is also used on the west coast. When I lived in Spain they used sepa (grapevine) - some of the roots out of old vineyards could be over a foot in diameter. One year we heated our house with sepa, I believe it burns hotter than hickory or mesquite. My personal favorite is hickory, the exception being beef brisket - you can't beat a Texas hill country mesquite brisket.

Stu,

What wood would you suggest for pole cat and swamp rat? I've been using plywood myself. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Joe :usflag:

Beam frequently sponsors BBQs and Fred Noe's trick for finishing ribs is to pour some Booker's on them, right on the fire, which at 126 proof flames up nicely and makes a good show. Don't think you want to try that with a gas grill, however.

Tastes great too! He got some good flames going for a bbq Scott I attended earlier this year. Steak burgers tasted great too :D

Stu,

What wood would you suggest for pole cat and swamp rat? I've been using plywood myself. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pressure treated 4x4s work too.

Craig

Stu,

Fer pole cat, I like to stuff em with possum inards and roast em over post oak. The tanin takes away the musty smell.

We ain't got no swamp rats up here in the hills, but we got lots of pack rats. I do em like I do squirrel. Put about 4 or 5 on a spit and roast em over hickory. Try basting em in bourbon supreme.

Like some of the stuff my dad used to tease me about when I was a kid. Polecat hash and rabbit mash. Mmmmmmm boy! What's fer supper granpa? :skep: Joe

Fer pole cat, I like to stuff em with possum inards and roast em over post oak. The tanin takes away the musty smell.

We ain't got no swamp rats up here in the hills, but we got lots of pack rats. I do em like I do squirrel. Put about 4 or 5 on a spit and roast em over hickory. Try basting em in bourbon supreme.

Stu, it's an injustice to the pack rats to baste them in Bourbon Supreme. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.