Jacob G kinsey and the Kinsey DSP # 12 Still

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On Wednesday I talked to one of the last of the oldtimers on the phone that worked at Kinsey when I was a kid starting there, his nick name is Ludy and he worked there from 1936 till 1980. Since there are people on the web that say they don't think that Continental Distilling ever ran the old # 12 & 10 I asked him when did they shut them down! His answer was sometime in 1951 which is what I had speculated as my father worked there then. He remembered me well after all these years and my Dad. I also asked him when before the Kinsey Distillery was sold at auction did Mr Kinsey leave he told me that at age 82 in 1939 / 1940 when the place went up for auction and Continental bought it Mr Kinsey was there every day walking around talking to his workers. He told me a funny story about MR Kinsey it seems those day's they parked their cars in front of the Old Bottle house as there were alot less people, one day Jacob Kinsey saw a bumper sticker of some type for someone running for President on the old 1930's car he told the guy get it off! I plan on finding out all I can from the old days one thing He told back then all the Rye and Bourbon were made at Kinsey till the Stills shut down. So to anyone saying maybe Continental never ran them here is proof. Also I remember looking at old Honeywell carts in the machines that were put there for the next day that never came and knew as I cleaned the floors there all the time that they were dated something in 1950's but wanted to have the information right. This means if any of you get a Bottle of bourbon a bottle of Kinsey Whiskey or an old bottle of Rittenhouse Rye from the time up till then you will be getting stuff Distilled there and in some cases bottled in the old Kinsey 1892 Bottle house which later became the Liquor Bottling house till the very end. Ludy also told me that in the early days they had a line in the same building the old DSP #10 Rye building and they would bottle there and in the bottle house. He said Mr Kinsey was a nice guy and the people all liked him and having worked there 43 years he said as I have that it was a great place to work then and for Continental Distilling.

I want more then anything to get all the information I can about the place that is correct and interesting. I have an old Full bottle of Haller's County Fair Bourbon Distilled in 1946 100 proof Bottled in bond and It was distilled at old #12 it is my favorite piece as it was bottled in 1951 so that is when my Dad worked there and it was distilled a year and a half before I was born spring 1946.

Dave

On Wednesday I talked to one of the last of the oldtimers on the phone that worked at Kinsey when I was a kid starting there, his nick name is Ludy and he worked there from 1936 till 1980. Since there are people on the web that say they don't think that Continental Distilling ever ran the old # 12 & 10 I asked him when did they shut them down! His answer was sometime in 1951 which is what I had speculated as my father worked there then. He remembered me well after all these years and my Dad. I also asked him when before the Kinsey Distillery was sold at auction did Mr Kinsey leave he told me that at age 82 in 1939 / 1940 when the place went up for auction and Continental bought it Mr Kinsey was there every day walking around talking to his workers. He told me a funny story about MR Kinsey it seems those day's they parked their cars in front of the Old Bottle house as there were alot less people, one day Jacob Kinsey saw a bumper sticker of some type for someone running for President on the old 1930's car he told the guy get it off! I plan on finding out all I can from the old days one thing He told back then all the Rye and Bourbon were made at Kinsey till the Stills shut down. So to anyone saying maybe Continental never ran them here is proof. Also I remember looking at old Honeywell carts in the machines that were put there for the next day that never came and knew as I cleaned the floors there all the time that they were dated something in 1950's but wanted to have the information right. This means if any of you get a Bottle of bourbon a bottle of Kinsey Whiskey or an old bottle of Rittenhouse Rye from the time up till then you will be getting stuff Distilled there and in some cases bottled in the old Kinsey 1892 Bottle house which later became the Liquor Bottling house till the very end. Ludy also told me that in the early days they had a line in the same building the old DSP #10 Rye building and they would bottle there and in the bottle house. He said Mr Kinsey was a nice guy and the people all liked him and having worked there 43 years he said as I have that it was a great place to work then and for Continental Distilling.

I want more then anything to get all the information I can about the place that is correct and interesting. I have an old Full bottle of Haller's County Fair Bourbon Distilled in 1946 100 proof Bottled in bond and It was distilled at old #12 it is my favorite piece as it was bottled in 1951 so that is when my Dad worked there and it was distilled a year and a half before I was born spring 1946.

Dave

One thing I forgot after the War Kinsey donated a train load of Grain to feed those staving in Europe in 1944 I talked to a Man Named Jack that worked there from 1940 till 1983 and he told me about that I am going to call him again soon he is also about 90 and get the exact information. Also If you look on my thread showing some of my Bottle collection I have the Hallers BnB County Fair Whiskey bottle full that was Distilled at Kinsey it is on #4 on the Bottle thread with two other bottles. !00 Proof Distilled 1946 Bottled 1952.

Dave Z

I also wanted to say that in talking to Ludy who worked there from 1936 through 1980 that he told me The number of barrels in rack aging in the late 1950's through the early 1960's was around 14 million acording to what as Plant chairman of the workers in the 1950's he was told they had. So when they stated on their brosure that they had the worlds largest amount of aging Whiskey They sure must have. I remember when I started there every one of the warehouses was full including the old ones and all of the 14 Explosion proof ones. And we had lots of Rye aging which is how I had my first Rittenhouse rye! We were always busy hauling barrels in and hauling barrels to be dumped, and Every week the Therm Ice truck would come up with loads of freshly distilled barreled Whiskey and also with scotch that came in by ship and was brought up to Kinsey! It was always exciting in those days and the Company seemed to be doing very good once the 1966 Bottle house was running and with the new lines of Scotch including our biggest seller Inver House! And in Oct we would have 3 rail cars getting loaded at a time out in front of the bottle house and many trucks at the far end the building was so big. When I walk there I can see in my mind the Old red 1941 Ford flat trucks roaring back and forth hauling barrels and the smells of whiskey being dumped a while back when some of the empty Buildings were still open you could walk in and still smell whiskey coming from the cement floor! It brought back many memories of better days when I was young and not sick! There are two things I really want to find yet for my collection a Linfield Bourbon bottle and #2 a Full bottle of Kinsey Gold or Kinsey Silver. I tried to get one that I saw on the web awhile back but someone bought it out from under me. They are the two original Kinsey Products and I would love to have them. I have some empty Kinsey bottles but no Linfield, so If anyone knows where I can get these Please let me Know!

Dave

One thing I forgot after the War Kinsey donated a train load of Grain to feed those staving in Europe in 1944 I talked to a Man Named Jack that worked there from 1940 till 1983 and he told me about that I am going to call him again soon he is also about 90 and get the exact information. Also If you look on my thread showing some of my Bottle collection I have the Hallers BnB County Fair Whiskey bottle full that was Distilled at Kinsey it is on #4 on the Bottle thread with two other bottles. !00 Proof Distilled 1946 Bottled 1952.

Dave Z

I just called Jack to find out just where the Train loan of grain donated by Kinsey went He told me it was given to be used in the Marshel Plan to feed those starving. As always Kinsey and the parent company Publicker were very Proud to be in The USA and very generous in giving to help during and after WWII .

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.