Bernheim Wheat

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was looking for something different to round out an order this week and Brett at Binny's recommended the Bernheim Wheat. He said that it wasn't like a wheater since the wheat there is more subtle and doesn't mask the sweetness of the corn like a rye'd bourbon.

I opened it last night and tried it neat in a 6oz sampler sized snifter.

It is kind of hot on the nose for a 90 proofer and this quality did not wane at all over time. The heat wasn't overwhelming to the point that I was able to pick up plenty of spice.

The spice and dry (nearly astringent) feel on the tongue are unique for me and were not bothersome at all. Not a bit of sweetness, but still deligtful.

The finish was a little thin in comparison to some of the more robust whiskeys that I've had, but it was not a disappointment and there was very little burn. The aftertaste was a treat.

I've not developed the palate yet to pick out more subtle flavors, but I'm enjoying the opportunity to practice and compare what I find to other notes here.

Overall, it reminds me of a grown up version of the Forty Creek Barrel Select that I bought in Vancouver last fall. It isn't a carnival of flavors and texture, but it is very competent whiskey and a pour that I will gladly revisit. I consider it a welcome addition to my collection and it would be a good stepping stone to get a Canadian devotee on the path to Bourbon nirvana.

Since it's more in the straight rye mold, I'd like to hear what a really hard core rye drinker has to say about it.

Has anyone else given this a try?

I just finished my bottle not that long ago. It has a lot of subtle complexities. This is a first drink of the night bourbon. ANything more powerful will mute its quality.

Did not find mine hot.... and no real spice in mine to talk about.... it was like a softer Weller Centennial to me...

I didn't get any wheat'ish bourbon qualities out of it at all. I followed it up with some Weller SR and the latter had a creaminess and sweetness that I didn't find at all in the Bernheim.

• I like it 1

I like it. I just had some earlier this week. You will be surprised if you think you know how it will taste based on drinking wheated bourbons. Because wheat is milder than rye, wheaters seem sweet but that's just because the less-sharp wheat is letting more of the corn sweetness through. In other words, wheaters aren't really sweeter, you just perceive them as sweeter. With Bernheim, a straight wheat whiskey, you get the spice and flavor of the wheat but a little bite too, much milder than a straight rye, but there nonetheless. I get something almost brackish, like black tea, but it's just right as an accent. Gives it some guts.

I've liked it a lot since it first appeared. Chuck is right in saying that it doesn't taste like you would imagine (based on wheated bourbons). To me, it has a wonderfully delicate yeasty / bready taste.

If someone says they don't like the taste of "whiskey"... give them a try of this. It's a great way to introduce them to grain spirits.

...To me, it has a ... yeasty / bready taste...

Yes, I find that the prominent sense, too. Whenever someone describes a whisk(e)y as 'biscuit-y' (happens more often with Scotch, I think), I think of this one.

If someone says they don't like the taste of "whiskey"... give them a try of this. It's a great way to introduce them to grain spirits.

Well said. It's very true.

I may be time to get another bottle.

I finished my last one almost two years ago. I liked it quite a bit, but thought it was very soft for a 90pf whiskey. I tend to like very full-flavored products so this was a bit of a departure for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this quite a bit, although the $40 price tag, for a NAS, is a bit off-putting. An excellent choice for anyone who says they don't like whiskey, and for many of us who do. Agree with spun_cookie about this being a first of the night/session whiskey: anything else would overwhelm it. I would bet that, in a blind test, it would fool some single malt drinkers.

I don't currently have a bottle at home but have had it a few times recently when out and probably will have to puchase another bottle soon. I quite like it as a change of pace.

I agree that this doesn't taste at all like wheated bourbons...or any bourbon. It has a unique flavor profile all it's own. My taste for it waxes and wanes, but I seem to always have an open bottle handy, for when the mood strikes.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done this yet, but I would think and interesting tasting would be non-bourbon American straight whiskeys. I especially would like to put the Bernheim wheat side-by-side with JW Corn BIB. Both are very pleasant and quite mild for moderately proofed whiskeys.

This isn't available in Australia, so it was with great interest that I got to try some Bernheim at the Sampler, and again later at the Gazebo. It really has a flavor that I enjoy. I'd planned to go back to Toddy's whilst we were in Bardstown to pick up a bottle, but ran out of time. Needless to say, it's at the top of my list for our next order from Binnys.

This is an interesting whiskey... at times I find it good other times I find it a bit unusual... currently on sale in Va. fo $26....

This is an interesting whiskey... at times I find it good other times I find it a bit unusual... currently on sale in Va. fo $26....

Excellent price. If I could get it for that, I'd drink more of it. Reid, have you found a good cigar pairing for it?

JOE

I have recently tried the Cabaiguan line of cigars and really like them. The Cabaiguan Guapos and the Guapos Jr. are, IMO, some of the best cigars made outside of Cuba today. Pepin Garcia is doing an excellent job.. hope it keeps up. This would be an excellent choice to go with the Bernheim...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.