Any coloring added to Rye Whiskies?

whiskeyme
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any coloring added to Ryes? Like the caramel coloring added to Scotches? I'm pretty sure that federal law prohibits any coloring added to Bourbon.

Jim

I don't know 100% for sure but I would be shocked if they did add color.

Bourbon makers who also produce rye whiskey follow the same guidelines as required by the boubon laws except for of course the amount of corn and rye in the mash.

Any coloring added to Ryes? Like the caramel coloring added to Scotches? I'm pretty sure that federal law prohibits any coloring added to Bourbon.

Jim

Coloring cannot be added to a bourbon or rye.

Not if it is straight Rye. It must be 51% Rye, the rest is a mixture of grains usaully corn, wheat or Barley, water and yeast. put into new oak barrels and aged. no other additives maybe added.

No flavoring or coloring may be added to any American straight whiskey. That includes straight bourbon and straight rye.

• 4 weeks later...

That is right No Coloring can be added to American Straight Rye & Bourbon That is what the Laws states. And the The mix has to be 51% for Bourbon & Rye as everyone else has said!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

=====================================

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.