What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm thoroughly enjoying a few drams of Lagavulin 16 and now Talisker 18. Like peat for dinner and then smoke for dessert.

Started with aberlour a'bunadh batch #18 and then caol ila 12 yr. Damn good whiskey.

Last night picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18yo. Never had it before.

Poured a couple of ounces into a port glass when I got home.

Wow. Except for a hint of peat, the nose could be that of a good brandy or cognac. As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

Super smooth finish. Great stuff. Paul Pacult calls this "the best whisky in the world". I wouldn't go that far, because there are a number of bourbons I prefer to this, but it's definitely the best Scotch I've ever had.

As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

Super smooth finish. Great stuff. Paul Pacult calls this "the best whisky in the world". I wouldn't go that far, because there are a number of bourbons I prefer to this, but it's definitely the best Scotch I've ever had.

Yes, indeed. I've had 18YO HP once (a gift from a friend) and while it has a little of everything...but not too much :), my experience is that it comes in waves. It's not all together. The peat hits, the honey flows, the oak and sherry traipse nimbly, but it's like an arpeggio. The notes are all there, but not being played as a chord - rather, everything is coming up and going down and intermingling.

It is, without a doubt, the most interesting Scotch I've ever had. I'm holding back trying the younger expressions for fear that they will never be the equal of this one.

BTW, regarding Paul Pacult's description, Michael Jackson said something similar. He called Highland Park "The greatest all-rounder in the world of whisky". I don't recall whether he said this about a particular expression or the entire range, but so far as Scotch whisky goes, it's pretty accurate.

Started with GTS '07, Caol Ila 12 yr, then Talisker 13 yr Distillers Edition, and now I'll be reaching for some Lagavulin 16 to put it all to rest. Love these Island SMS's!:grin:

And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something :).

But it's an excellent whisky, in the Canadian style to be sure, but very good quality.

And here's another thing: regular (6 year old) Canadian Club is also a fine drink. I had some in Montreal not long ago and was surprised by its dryish rye character and smooth, full taste. I hadn't had it in some years, and was pleasantly surprised on this re-acquaintanceship.

Anyone who likes straight rye would recognise Canadian Club as one of the band of brothers.

Gary

And here I am sipping on lowly Canadian Club Classic. But hey, it's only Wednesday. If I could afford to drink single malts every night of the week...well, that would really be something :).

I tasted a sample of this a while back and was very impressed for its price point! Quite a shock to someone (me) who doesn't like cdn whisky much...

I might rephrase my wording to suggest that CC and the other Canadian whiskies of character are cousins with straight rye, not really brothers. There is a family connection in other words when good Canadian whisky is sampled. At a time when straight rye was consumed relatively young (perhaps much of it tasted like, say, Jim Beam rye today), it made sense to blend it with an aged spirit of a clean and largely neutral character. I mean to try this some day but if you take an aged grain whisky, say Greenore, and add 10% or so Wild Turkey rye or any other relatively young rye, it should taste close to a good Canadian whisky.

Gary

Last night had a 1:1 vatting of a'bunadh and Red Breast 12yo. Worked really well. Resulting proof is about 100, which is "just right" for me. I'll be doing this again.

But it's an excellent whisky, in the Canadian style to be sure, but very good quality.

And here's another thing: regular (6 year old) Canadian Club is also a fine drink. I had some in Montreal not long ago and was surprised by its dryish rye character and smooth, full taste. I hadn't had it in some years, and was pleasantly surprised on this re-acquaintanceship.

Anyone who likes straight rye would recognise Canadian Club as one of the band of brothers.

Gary

I like the 10yo - it's just as good as the 12 and costs less (currently $13.95, though going up $2 on June 1st...maybe I'll get some before that).

I also have one last bottle of the 15yo, which I don't think is sold in the USA anymore. My favorite liquor store back in FL was closing it out at $20, same price as the 12yo. The bottle was packaged in funky metal boxes with images of Canadian wildlife. I collected the full set - The Bear, The Moose, and, of course, The Beaver.

CC Reserve is pretty good as well, but I find the classic to have just a little more depth and a little less sweetness. Of course, it's hard to say without comparing them side-by-side. But they are both good whiskies. I like to have some Canadian whiskies on the go for a change from Scotch and bourbon. And when you live in Canada, it makes good sense to drink Canadian whisky, because you simply get more for your money.

Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 yr and cracked it open for a quick taste. This is an exceptional whiskey! Smooth as can be with a great balance of flavors... can taste some peat, smoke, and honey. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of mine in no time icon7.gif. Anyone else love this dram?

Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 yr and cracked it open for a quick taste. This is an exceptional whiskey! Smooth as can be with a great balance of flavors... can taste some peat, smoke, and honey. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of mine in no time icon7.gif. Anyone else love this dram?

Guess I'm on James' "Ignore List" so there's no point in telling him to go back one page in this thread...

Last night picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18yo. Never had it before.

Poured a couple of ounces into a port glass when I got home.

Wow. Except for a hint of peat, the nose could be that of a good brandy or cognac. As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

I knew I'd seen a positive review somewhere before icon12.gif, Well I'm convinced it's great whiskey! You still think it's the best scotch?

I knew I'd seen a positive review somewhere before icon12.gif, Well I'm convinced it's great whiskey! You still think it's the best scotch?

I don't know if it's the best Scotch, only the best I've had. I sampled maybe 20-25 single malts, so I'm not an expert.

I don't know if it's the best Scotch, only the best I've had. I sampled maybe 20-25 single malts, so I'm not an expert.

I think the "best" scotch is also sort of relative. For me, the best scotch is the one I happen to be in the mood for!

Though I will certainly take this moment to plug for Highland Park-- I went through a bottle of the 12-year all too quickly... and now it isn't even available in my state anymore. The words to describe Highland Park are "Well-Rounded"-- great for when you can't quite decide what you are in the mood for.

I agree with both of you, of course 'best' is what suites your tastes at the moment etc... I must say the HP 18 was one of, if not, the smoothest scotch I've ever had. I've only had 2 drams thus far and will need to spend more time with it but it is a very subtle scotch for sure. There were no explosive flavors that I often enjoy in some of the other Island malts (Talisker or Lagavulin). So while I agree it is well rounded, I found myself just slightly wanting for a bit more flavor. Perhaps it's also that I have a preference for higher proof whisk(e)y's as well.

To be sure, I am mightily and absolutely impressed with this offering. I was just a bit surprised that it didn't share the heavy smoke and peat with it's other island neighbors.

I found myself just slightly wanting for a bit more flavor. Perhaps it's also that I have a preference for higher proof whisk(e)y's as well.

For the same reasons I'm planning to try a vatting with a'bunadh, probably 3:1 HP:AA. Depending on how that goes I may also try 2:1.

I was just a bit surprised that it didn't share the heavy smoke and peat with it's other island neighbors.

I think there's only one other distillery on Orkney: Scapa, and it's been shut down since 1994.

Orkney is at the northern tip of Scotland. The other islands (Islay, Skye, etc) are in the Irish sea.

Even on Islay, which has nine distilleries, it's only Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig that go for an extreme style.

It's been said here by others, and I'll repeat: there's as much stylistic variation within a region as between them. Knowing that Old Glengargle is in Speyside or Islay is just trivia (unless you're planning a tour, of course).

For the same reasons I'm planning to try a vatting with a'bunadh, probably 3:1 HP:AA. Depending on how that goes I may also try 2:1..

Wow, you must have read my mind. I was planning the exact same vatting myself! haha great minds.... I was thinking of a simple 1:1 and also trying it with a little Talikser 18 to see where that goes....

Let me know how turns out as I won't be able to test it out until later tonight.

Highland park distillery is listed as being from Orkney Islanld. Scapa has been operated on again and off again thru the years and not marketed very much. These both are according to the 5th edition of M. Jackson's book. I think Scapa could get much more popular if only the owners would actually push it.

Well I was really missing my peated Islays/Island malts tonight so I started with Caol Isla 12 and then moved onto Talisker 18. I think the Talisker 18 is my favorite peated. Just an unbelievable whisk(e)y!

Wow, you must have read my mind. I was planning the exact same vatting myself! haha great minds.... I was thinking of a simple 1:1 and also trying it with a little Talikser 18 to see where that goes....

Let me know how turns out as I won't be able to test it out until later tonight.

Well then you'll be trying it before me. I was feeling self-indulgent tonight (long week, long day) so I poured some Hirsch 16 BW.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!