What is your Favorite American Beer Now and what did you like many years ago?

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This time of the year is always a good Beer time as all the late Summer Fall Ales come out! Last Night I enjoyed a couple of Bottles of Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale it is very nice, When It is done will give one I saw recomended a try Saranac Pumpkin Ale. I also have been very Much enjoying Leinekugel Berry Weis it is awesome Beer flaovred with Black berry Juice. I saw one the other day I would also like to try Purple Haze Raspberry Ale!

All The Great Winter Ales will be out and the beer Distributer told me look for many Fruit & Pumpkin Ales to be coming in the next weeks. I look forward to them I enjoy Drinking Rock & Rye With them sometimes too!

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

----------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

I'm tasting now Reading Beer, the canned version Dave gave me, brewed for the distributor by High Falls Brewery (formerly Genessee) in Rochester, NY. I like this better than the bottled one made by the Lion in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It is fresh and lively with a good balance of malt, light hops and adjunct. It's 1974 all over again! Thanks Dave, this is a fine taste of history.

Gary

I'm tasting now Reading Beer, the canned version Dave gave me, brewed for the distributor by High Falls Brewery (formerly Genessee) in Rochester, NY. I like this better than the bottled one made by the Lion in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It is fresh and lively with a good balance of malt, light hops and adjunct. It's 1974 all over again! Thanks Dave, this is a fine taste of history.

Gary

I am very Glad you liked it Gary I called the Guys who own the Micro Brewery that brought back and own the Brand and told them what you thought and they were very Happy you Liked the Reading and also said alot of People like the canned more. I myself like the canned Reading better but both are very good and the draft made at the Micro Brewery is very close in its taste to them also. They want to build their Own plant but are waiting till things get better and giving the brand a chance to get well known again. I always tell people about it and to my surprize they gave me a beautiful Wood and steel Reading tap as a gift for my spreading the word! Had a beer tonight given me by a friend wondered if you ever had Red Stripe Jamaican Lager Beer? Boy it is a very nice beer I will revisit this one again.

I hope that Reading keeps getting more known as it seems It is going very good now it came out in June of 2006 after all those years since Reading went under in 1976 and Schmidt's owned it last till they went under. I think it is so close to the Original but a bit more flavorful with less bite.

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

I Just tried A very nice beer from Texas Shiner Black Lager is a very nice beer a friend of mine went down to Del and brought back a case of Shiner Black lager I bought half the case and I find it to be a very Good Beer, I had tried their Bock Beer and Like it but this Black Beer is really tasty! and in the mid $20.00 range

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

• 3 weeks later...
One of my Favorite Beers when I was a young man was Neuweiler brewed in Allentown pa it was a smooth Crisp Flavorful Beer.

Dave, thought I'd note (in case you missed it) that Neuweiler is the latest resurrected brand (in this case, their Stock Ale), complete with input from the Ortlieb's. (Altho' technically Ortlieb only brewed the Neuweiler Cream Ale, from what I remember. Neuweiler had a number of labels, also making an IPA, Half and Half, Bock, Porter, Stout and a standard US "light Lager".)

Iconic beer makes a return -Allentown's Neuweiler's Ale brewed again after more than 10 years.

Dave, thought I'd note (in case you missed it) that Neuweiler is the latest resurrected brand (in this case, their Stock Ale), complete with input from the Ortlieb's. (Altho' technically Ortlieb only brewed the Neuweiler Cream Ale, from what I remember. Neuweiler had a number of labels, also making an IPA, Half and Half, Bock, Porter, Stout and a standard US "light Lager".)

Iconic beer makes a return -Allentown's Neuweiler's Ale brewed again after more than 10 years.

Hey Thanks for the tip I will have to get up there and sample it! Neuweilers Cream Ale was one of my Favorites back then I hope they Bottle it in the Future. Its been alot more then 10 yrs since it was gone the paper should have said around 20 yrs but I am excited about trying it!

Thanks Jesskidden you sure know what the Lastest is when it comes to Beers!

Dave z

Imperial IPAs and Imperials Stouts. I have yet not to enjoy one. Honorary mention is Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S. Try it. It's one of the best crafts I ever had!

Years ago I drank MGD High Life. I loved it. But always had a headache afterwards (no...not from being drunk....or buzzed....just a headache). I have not had one in a long time nor do I desire it since I've been tasting craft brews. It's amazing the complexities acheived by these small breweries. And the overall experience is undescribabe.

Have some mango chips (dried mango) with an Imperial IPA. You'll be in heaven.

In my opinion, there is no better beer than Fat Tire from Ft. Collins, CO. Impossible to find east of the Mississippi River, but well worth a trip to the rockies. Out here in New England I like Ballantine XXX for in a can and Long Trail Alt from VT for high class stuff.

Neuweilers Cream Ale ...Its been alot more then 10 yrs since it was gone the paper should have said around 20 yrs

I think the quote " It's been more than a decade since anyone brewed Neuweiler's" refers to the Neuweiler beers (there was a Black & Tan as well as an ale- neither the Cream Ale or the Stock- think it was the Premium Ale- maybe other beers, too) that were contract-brewed by The Lion in the early 1990's.

I forgot or maybe never knew the deal (maybe a Neuweiler relative was involved?), but the company was just called "Neuweiler Brewing Co." with a Bethlehem, PA address. As seen on this old BeerMe page)I think one of their beers even won a GABF award at one point.

Of course, the newspaper article noted that Ortleib never sold that brand name to Schmidt's, so maybe he was involved as well? I remember vaguely picking up a case of that version of Neuweiler Ale up in the Easton area- don't remember much about it, tho'.

• 3 months later...

edit: oops, i forgot this was about AMERICAN beers...i mentioned euro favs below, but that was long ago....gotta stand by my Stone/DFH loves now...add to that Troegs, Harpoon, and, yes yes, Victory (Hop Devil!)

i've fallen in love with both Stone and Dogfish Head offerings...mostly the pale ale spectrum (a true hophead am i)...also love so so much Guinness Draft....esp. in a pub....in eire....for everyday pours, though Yuengling is still a solid summer sip, i have included much of Saranac's offerings...and Sam Adams....all those macroMicrobreweries....?!:)

used to be, long ago, a big fan of Behaven Ale, Newcastle Brown, Grolsch...those were the odd ones in Mississippi long ago...then Abita came along...that Wheat beer was a favorite for a long time. heck, now i remember having a crush on that oddball Michelob "dark"....went well with bagel chips.

gotta add that i am pleased i live a mile from the Iron Hill Brewery in Media...good suds and good reviews on BAdvocate. even glad-er my brother lives a stone's throw from Dogfish Head downstate DE....gotta visit soon

• 3 weeks later...

Last Night for the first time I brought home a case of Anchor Porter By ( Anchor Steam brewing of SF ) and Boy is it Good Stuff. A friend at work gave me a gift card so I went on the Beer Website and they said this was real good they were soo Right.

It is one of the Best Porters I have had in many a day. Smooth Creamy and full of flavors jumping out in your mouth. This will be one I will get again pricey but so Dam Good.

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

Gotta agree with you there, Dave, I don't usually drink porters but the Anchor Steam is really great. Big and solid. you're making me thirsty.

Cheers!

Last Night It was Anchor Porter with two shots of Rittenhouse Rye Modern version fromm HH very Nice combo. This Porter is really growing on me some of the best I have ever drank!

---------------------------------------------

Dave Z ---------------------------------------

Thinking last Night after watching some of the old Ads DVD set I bought I was remembering good Old Ham's beer, it was a very nice beer and thier ad about clear water and country hit me as back those days where I lived was also out in country but no more.

Does anyone else remember Hams beer and if so what did you think of it. We were actualy able to get it here in the Peoples republic of Pa.

Maybe you can give me information Jess kidden on it. The Theo Hams brewery I know that much!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just a Beverage Beer Is Food

• 6 months later...

Well, this week I think I am going to have to go with the Upland Brewing Company Wheat Ale. However, I have also been enjoying so many beers this summer that it’s hard to pick a favorite, that just happened to be the latest, and it’s from just a few hours south of me, so it’s a local. I also love the Guinness, and another local from the Lafayette Brewing Company Black Angus Stout. As fro what I used to like, in collage it was what ever was cheep, but even then if I had the cash I would go with Guinness or Bass out, and Kalian’s Irish Red, and how can I forget Rolling Rock.

Locking back, both then and now, there are very few Beers that I don’t enjoy, but if I have to pick an absolute go to now and then, it would be;

Now Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat

Then Bud Light

Budweiser is fine by me. I like Yeungling (sp) better and drink it often. I like Blue Moon better and drink it infrequently. As far as non American beer I like Modelo's Especial and Stellas.

Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout. I'm too young to say many years ago, hah. Man is it good. I guess I can say I used to drink Budweiser, but never liked it or any BudMillerCoors products, and I tried Guinness and loved it. So that used to be my favorite, now that I've had so much good beer it tastes like what it is, a watered down light stout. Guinness is 4.1% ABV, hah. There is nothing heavy or thick about it.

http://ratebeer.com/beer/top-50/

I'll have to say Shiner Bock nowadays. I tend to like the heavier-tasting, darker beers (he said with too small a sample size - grin), and gravitate towards Belgians since I don't generally like American mass-produced beers.

When I was younger (mumblety-mumble years ago), I liked Strohs and Miller High Life. I could never understand what people saw in Coors or Budweiser.

One I tried recently wowed me with its fine flavor and historical authenticity: Stone Smoked Porter.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.