What is your Favorite American Beer Now and what did you like many years ago?

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I will say my favorite beer ever is Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Brewing Company. I had it at The Great Alaskan Beer Fest three years ago and have longed for it from the tap since. I have found it in 22 ounce bottles but not in any bar. The taste was so much better from the tap. At least to me.

I just bought a 12-pack of Budweiser. I am on my second one, now. It is clean and crisp, but just like everyone says, nearly tasteless. Maybe not as tasteless as Coors, but pretty near.

It is pretty warm outside, today. Bud is what I wanted and it is hitting the spot.

Tim

Right now I'm drinking Troegenator Double Bock from the Troegs Brewery in Harrisburg, PA. It's really great stuff, here's the description from their website:

Alcohol by Volume: 8.2%

Hop Bitterness (IBU's) : 25

Color (SRM) : Bronze

Availability: Draft and Bottles Year Round

Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate

Hops: Hallertau

Yeast: Lager

TASTING NOTES

The Troegenator Double Bock, is a dark, strong lager (8.2% abv). It pours into a glass with a bronze to brown color, fluffy white head and bready malt aroma. The Troegenator leaves a rich, warming feeling and subtle spicy flavors.

I like it a lot.

Someone mentioned quite a few posts back about the Catamount Brewery, now defunct. I toured their brewery in Vermont many years ago and all I can remember is the overpowering smell of the hops. It was quite an interesting tour. If you see some Troegs brews by all means check them out!

post-3356-14489814012561_thumb.jpg

Right now I'm drinking Troegenator Double Bock from the Troegs Brewery in Harrisburg, PA. It's really great stuff, here's the description from their website:

TASTING NOTES

The Troegenator Double Bock, is a dark, strong lager (8.2% abv). It pours into a glass with a bronze to brown color, fluffy white head and bready malt aroma. The Troegenator leaves a rich, warming feeling and subtle spicy flavors.

I like it a lot.

Someone mentioned quite a few posts back about the Catamount Brewery, now defunct. I toured their brewery in Vermont many years ago and all I can remember is the overpowering smell of the hops. It was quite an interesting tour. If you see some Troegs brews by all means check them out!

Hi it was me that talked about Catamount I just loved their Amber and it was a sad day when they went out of bussiness they were one of the very early Micro brewers. They had amber and I think Gold and whenever I went to new England I would go to the old Grand Union store in VT and get 5 or 6 cases to bring home! Have you tried Victory Brewing's Hop Devil I bet it would be one you would enjoy?

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

=======================================

TASTING NOTES

I like it a lot.

Mash,

That sound like a beer I would love. Unfortunately, beers like that are hard to get.

Enjoy.

Will

Just a note to anyone living Near Pa and Reading Pa Legacy Brewing in Read has a person that runs a very nice pub above the Brewery and carries Many of their Micro brews plus many Micro brews forom others plus the New Reading Beer it is called the Canel street Pub and the food is great and the Beers are awesome. They also have the old time wooden tray with 3 oz I think glasses sampler of brews available

Dave Z

=========================================

There were Many brands of beer made by the Old Reading brewery till they closed in 1976, some being Bergheim, Mulheim,Yorktown, Prizer,Mein and others I wondered if anyone had drank any of these? My Dad always liked Bergheim and in my mind I can still see him out in the garden running the roto tiller with a sack of cold Bergheims hanging on his belt finishing one throwing it on the ground and roto tilling it under next round. I used to drink some of them and found it not to be a bad tasting beer then at a good price and different from Reading completely!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon

=====================================

For those who Like a really Good Porter I am drinking one of the finest you can buy not Cheap $41.00 a case. Fullers London Porter is the best Porter I have ever drank, I found it back in april a friend and I went to a used Record Lp store in Doylestown Pa. while we were there we went into a bar that had 33 European beers on draft and Fullers From England was one of them and the guy was a Dictionary when it came to Beer. Fuller has been brewing since 1654. This stuff has a very nice malt flavor and thick with a very nice smell too. It is 5.4% by Vol. and pours a very dark almost black. If you can get this and like Good Porter give this a try. It is imported by Distingushed Brands International Littleon Co. From what I have read Fuller invented the first Euopean Porter in England, all I know is they have got it right!

Dave Z

======================================

Just for fun, partly because I like the label, but I did like the beer when I had it a few years ago at Cowgirl in Santa Fe, I ordered a case of Alien Ale, an amber ale made by Sierra Blanca Brewing Company in New Mexico. Guess the name refers to some alien/UFO thing in Roswell years ago.

Shipping will be more than the beer, but why not as the summer and bbq season approaches.

alienale.jpg

Guess the name refers to some alien/UFO thing in Roswell years ago.

Does it glow in the dark?

Just got done drinking another New find that is real good and goes great with a shot. Gritty McDuff's Scottish Ale is one really good Ale Brewed and bottled by Gritty McDuff's Portland ME. I have been enjoying this since Friday when a person at the local distributer told me they got a deal on it $10. off normal price of 30.90. It is well worth the full price went back today picked up another and told him to keep one More for me!

Dave Z

======================================

Another Old Favorite I still buy and drink is Ballantine XXX Ale now made custom for the Pabst Group it is very much like it always was and I sure enjoy it. Just don't take a deep smell a strong Corn flake Smell but very refreshing in the Mouth and light enough to have more then one!

Dave Z

================================================

I have been drinking Moosehead Beer this past week and find it to be just as good as it was when I drank it 20 yrs ago. I also think the New Narragansett is really a good beer for a macro beer I always get my friend to bring me many cases when he goes through CT to Boston.

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most magnificent Bourbon

The problem for me...with Moosehead and other green glass beers is the skunkiness.....after the initial scent disappears it tastes fine.

I have not really explored dozens and dozens of microbrews...the ones I have had I have generally enjoyed....my regular purchase beers tend to come from Sam Adams, Goose Island, Leinenkugle, plus for mass produced...Michelob family, Molson, various U.K. / Irish imports...ales, stouts, porters and some continental brands, Mexican beers etc. For parties, as discussed on an earlier thread...knowing what your guests like > various light beers...yuck!...plus some decent other offerings.

I love Sam Adams but it is over priced so I tend not to buy it much, Leinenkugle is one I to like. I also Like some what would be called Cheap beers. I hate Bud & Coors but I love Iron City Beer it is no frills but a smooth drink on a very Hot day I tend to keep two 30 packs around of it. I have not Had Molson in years and may give it a run one of these days. If you Like Porter you should get some Fullers London Porter it is awesome exspensive $41. a case but wonderful to drink. I also Like Yuengling Porter and Stegmaier Porter made by the Loin. I have loved Porter since I was 18 yrs old and got some of the Old Brand Kaiers made in Mahanoy City Pa. There is something to be said for its medicine like flavor!

Dave Z

• 2 weeks later...

Another old Beer from the past I never got to try was Peoples Beer used to have a bulls eye on the can and said hits the spot. Brewed by Peoples Brewing Oshkosh Wis! Or Maier Brewings ABC Beer.And back in the day Hampden Beer & Ale brewed by Hampden Harvard Willimansett Mass. And Chief Oshkosh Beer has anyone ever had any of these? When I was young I liked Bohemian Club Beer a good tasting Macro beer.

Dave Z

-----------====================------------

Even though I do not like Budweiser I personly hope they can keep Inbev from buying them. I am tired of Inbev, they are the great company that destroyed Rolling rock and I am tired of everything in the USA being taken over by people from other countrys this sell and make money now thing is not good what ever happen to nice steady growth in bussiness so that it lasts for yrs and employes people for years not buy it close and go to you know where to the people who worked there and made the Product Great! I say Leave are American beers Alone!

I have just gotten a call from a friend whio has brought me back a case of my Naaragansett from Boston so that makes my day anyone who lives up that way Give Gannsett a try.

Dave Z

-------=======================-------

I try to stick to PA. My favorite is Stoudt's Scarlet Lady Ale (ESB). My 'everyday' is Stegmaier 1857 lager.

Count me as a PA drinker, too. Mostly Yuengling's (at bars) and Straubs (at home). There's one bar in Philly that has Straubs on tap - the Society Hill Hotel. Nice hang!

I grew up around New Haven, and my grandfather always drank Hulls, so I did too, at least for the year or so they remained in existance. I remember the day the brewery closed; I drove up to the Hill to get a last look. Later somebody hauled down the Gambrinus statue on the facade, who had toasted the town for a century, I remember there was a picture of it in the New Haven Register and it said it would be in the custody of the Union Trust company. Some thirty years later, I'm told, the statue's never been found.

Well, I didn't buy a beer for personal consumption till I was almost 50, so I'm a johnny-come-lately here. But, for personal favorites today, I enjoy Flying Dog Old Scratch amber lager, Harp's lager, Negra Modelo, the draught version of Michelob Amber Bock, Heineken...

But, I may have discovered a new favorite this week -- or, at least, a new toy for as long as supply lasts: Sun Dog Amber Wheat by Anheuser-Busch, their newest seasonal (spring), brewed February-May. Well-chilled, it has really been enjoyable in the unseasonable heat we're already having. I went back to Kroger and grabbed another 12 bottles today. It'll be my house beer till supply runs out, I think. Which may be next week.:skep:

Tim: just curious, but coming to beer as late as you did, did you find the taste, especially of the assertive micros and imports, challenging at the beginning? Usually it is an acquired taste (taking some years, at least for what some might call real beer). Did you find you acquired the taste quite quickly once you decided to sample beer regularly? Or did it still take some time to appreciate, say a Flying Dog pale ale?

Gary

Tim: just curious, but coming to beer as late as you did, did you find the taste, especially of the assertive micros and imports, challenging at the beginning? Usually it is an acquired taste (taking some years, at least for what some might call real beer). Did you find you acquired the taste quite quickly once you decided to sample beer regularly? Or did it still take some time to appreciate, say a Flying Dog pale ale?

Gary

Gary, I think the fact that I assayed whiskey first aided in my eventual enjoyment of beer. Whiskey is, after all, distilled beer.

You'll remember that health concerns kept me from alcohol, in general, till I was almost 40. Wine and whiskey came first only by happenstance. Once I discovered beer, I was more fully prepared to evaluate my likes and dislikes because of my bourbon/whiskey experience.

For whatever it's worth, Gary, I STILL don't like pale ales, generally.:lol: I HAVE learned that not all beers, like whiskeys, are equal, so I might find one or more in ANY genre to enjoy -- though I've also found that ambers and wheats are more promising, to me, than others.

Okay, thanks. But you would like a true English-style pale ale I believe!

Gary

Gary, I think the fact that I assayed whiskey first aided in my eventual enjoyment of beer. Whiskey is, after all, distilled beer.

You'll remember that health concerns kept me from alcohol, in general, till I was almost 40. Wine and whiskey came first only by happenstance. Once I discovered beer, I was more fully prepared to evaluate my likes and dislikes because of my bourbon/whiskey experience.

For whatever it's worth, Gary, I STILL don't like pale ales, generally.:lol: I HAVE learned that not all beers, like whiskeys, are equal, so I might find one or more in ANY genre to enjoy -- though I've also found that ambers and wheats are more promising, to me, than others.

Tim You should give Fullers London Porter a try it is the BEST Porter I have ever drank and worth the $40. a case! I don't know maybe you have never had good Porter but it does not have that heavy Hopiness as the pale Ales do, it is very smooth. I started drinking again in 2006 after about 25 yrs as I had esoigus Ulsers for years from Medicine I had taken for pain but now that I had the test again in Aug 2006 and all healed by Nexium can enjoy Beer and Whiskey again I do not drink much wine as the acidity in it bothers me! Beer has always been a big thing for me and I have tried more Beers then I can count in my life. When we worked at the Distillery we would go out every Friday to get a beer at lunch time.

Give the Fullers a try, I do not have alot of Money but I tasted it on draft and had to get some!

Dave Z

-------=========================-------

Gary Have you ever had Fullers London Porter? If so what do you think of it? I always like to get other peoples thoughts on this and you are someone who's opinion I enjoy hearing!

Dave Z

Old Hickory Ameria's Most Magnificent Bourbon

---------======================---------

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.