Cooking with Bourbon & Whiskey for Fun

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How Many of you have ever cooked with Whiskey? Sometimes I do some simple cooking putting Whiskey in the food. An example is taking canned Spam and putting a little Mustard and some Blended Whiskey on it and baking it. It makes it sweet and very tasty! Another one I like to do is make Bourbon flavor pancakes make Pancake batter and use Whiskey instead of water. This is a great way to use disappointing Whiskeys you have and the pancakes are Awesome! I have made Pancakes with Creamed Corn and Bourbon in the Batter and they were wonderful. And Hot dogs cooked in Whiskey and water are very Nice to. Another is my Hamburger Pie where I cook up ground Beef pour whiskey in it simmering and pan fry Mushrooms and Onions and then mix them with Mexican 4 cheese blend in a simple store bought Pie crust in layers then put a crust on top and bake. So How many have tried these kind of things! I think Bourbon Does it Better!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

-------------------------------------------------

Great topic Dave although it might go here?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

But one of my favorite recipes is this Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate and Cranberries...Oh yeah I used a bunch of Weller Antique to marinade the Cranberries over heat. It calls for 6 Tbs. I use close to half a cup (whatever) Recipes are suggestions not rules!!

I have had these and would highly recommend them. They are Awesome with Coffee in the morning (really)!

Ingredients:

1 cup dried cranberries

6 tablespoons whiskey

1 teaspoon habanero chile powder

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, slighty softened

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1 egg

3 tablespoons light corn syrup

2 cups white chocolate chunks

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

Directions:

Place the cranberries, whiskey and chile powder in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes or until the cranberries have absorbed most of the liquid. Set cranberries aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare several baking sheets with cooking spray or butter. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside. Use a mixer to beat the butter, shortening and both sugars on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Add the egg and corn syrup and beat until fluffy. Beat in the flour mixture a little bit at a time. Stir in the oats, cranberries and chocolate. Refrigerate the batter for at least 10 minutes. Drop the dough in tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheets, spaced about 3 inches apart. Flatten each ball slightly with the back of a spoon.

Bake the cookies, one sheet at time, for about 12 minutes or until the edges are golden. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

I may make another batch this weekend. Feel free to up the bourbon with the cranberries, I do.

AC

How Many of you have ever cooked with Whiskey?

I enjoy cooking with whiskey. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I really love making Pancakes with Bourbon it just gives them a very nice flavor and moistness! I do not bake but I would bet a home made cake with Bourbon in it would be Great!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------

I just made a chocolate and cheesecake pudding pie with bourbon in the chocolate.

Instant pudding in an Oreo Pie Crust.

Bottom layer was chocolate pudding with bourbon. Slided bananas.

Top Layer was cheesecake pudding with some whipped topping mixed in.

Topped with toasted coconut.

How could that be bad.

(Don't tell, but I used sugar free-fat free pudding and skim milk)

That sounds awesome to me! Some time if you make Pancakes as I have try using Bourbon instead of Water they are delightful. This makes me wonder how cole Slaw would be with bourbon but to many helpings might get you a bit there! The old Brand Esslinger beer had a recipy on the cans for Cole Slaw made with Esslinger and I could imagine seeing people wanting allot of Cole Slaw!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

I just made a chocolate and cheesecake pudding pie with bourbon in the chocolate.

Sounds great.

How could that be bad.

I dunno. Maybe if you used sugar free-fat free pudding and skim milk.

Wimp!

How could that be bad.

Sounds like a treat at the Gazebo!!!

PS I see you updated the Avatar .... cute.

I use whiskey/bourbon frequently in cooking. Almost always, it is part of any marinade into which I put meat, especially beef.

In baking, I've found that bourbon can always be substituted for vanilla in any recipe that calls for the latter. My peanut brittle (Stagg) was very well-received last winter.

I use whiskey/bourbon frequently in cooking. Almost always, it is part of any marinade into which I put meat, especially beef.

In baking, I've found that bourbon can always be substituted for vanilla in any recipe that calls for the latter. My peanut brittle (Stagg) was very well-received last winter.

That sounds great.

Once in a while ill toss a sash of bourbon in my scrambled eggs. Changes things up a little.

That sounds great.

Once in a while ill toss a sash of bourbon in my scrambled eggs. Changes things up a little.

Works equally well in a shot glass on the side...

But one of my favorite recipes is this Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate and Cranberries...Oh yeah I used a bunch of Weller Antique to marinade the Cranberries over heat. It calls for 6 Tbs. I use close to half a cup (whatever) Recipes are suggestions not rules!!

I have had these and would highly recommend them. They are Awesome with Coffee in the morning (really)!

Ingredients:

1 cup dried cranberries

6 tablespoons whiskey

1 teaspoon habanero chile powder

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, slighty softened

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1 egg

3 tablespoons light corn syrup

2 cups white chocolate chunks

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

Directions:

Place the cranberries, whiskey and chile powder in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes or until the cranberries have absorbed most of the liquid. Set cranberries aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare several baking sheets with cooking spray or butter. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside. Use a mixer to beat the butter, shortening and both sugars on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Add the egg and corn syrup and beat until fluffy. Beat in the flour mixture a little bit at a time. Stir in the oats, cranberries and chocolate. Refrigerate the batter for at least 10 minutes. Drop the dough in tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheets, spaced about 3 inches apart. Flatten each ball slightly with the back of a spoon.

Bake the cookies, one sheet at time, for about 12 minutes or until the edges are golden. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

I may make another batch this weekend. Feel free to up the bourbon with the cranberries, I do.

AC

I have to agree with Tony...this is an amazing recipe. He made them for one of our tastings...Oscar and I were impolite with how many we ate.

I have to agree with Tony...this is an amazing recipe. He made them for one of our tastings...Oscar and I were impolite with how many we ate.

yep, yep, yep, the good Doctor is correct.

Those cookies are awesome with Weller's.

Thank you gentlemen! Oscar welcome back, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Tony

I've used bourbon in my chili before. I thought it was pretty good. I think the bourbon gave it just a little more "kick" (My chili is very sweet and mild.). My wife and others, well......., I only got to try it that way a couple of times. You know the deal. Maybe someday I'll get to try it again. Joe

One of my favorites is to get some Spam make half cuts in it put some mustard them spoon on some bourbon and a little Beer to soak in then bake boy is it good makes it sweet and a sort of Malt flavor too!

Another one I do is Borbon Pancakes pour some Bourbon in my Pancake Batter!

Dave Z

======================================

I have always used a bit of bourbon in my chile as it adds another level of flavor and some additional complexity. I tend to add it towards the end of the cooking rather than early on.

On another front I rub down my prok shoulders and briskets with bourbon a few hours before applying the rub and smoking them.

Sunday being my morning for making breakfast, I made French toast. I added a bit of EW BL to my maple syrup. Not sure if it was better, but it was definitely different.

Wife did not experience this because she uses Aunt Jemimah "Light" instead of the maple.

If I do this again I should use something with a bit more maple character. My BMH 18 rye has a lot of maple, but it's a bit pricey for this...need to find something cheaper...

Hey Scott, get some of Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Alabama Whiskey.

I heard someone say that it taste like they added Mrs. Buttersworth syrup to it.

Hey Scott, get some of Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Alabama Whiskey.

I heard someone say that it taste like they added Mrs. Buttersworth syrup to it.

I just checked the OLCC product list. It's not there.

Gonna have to get someone to send me some.

Hey Scott while your doing that put some Whiskey in the Batter you will be very surprised how much flavor it adds to the Pancakes! I do it all the time just have a bottle of cheap whiskey and use it in the batter!

Dave Z

=======================================

Another cooking thing I tried with Whiskey was stiring Whiskey in fryed Potato's they have a very Nice Flavor when done and crispness too! I even put some Whiskey in the dish with Hot Dogs and Beans in the oven they were great!

Dave Z

======================================

Monday for the Holiday I decided to try Baking Spam with beans and pouring Whiskey and Beer in with them before baking it was very nice seemed to be very sweet and tender!

Dave Z

========================================

Dave, I just can't get with ya on the Spam thing, but the pancakes sound fantastic. I was eyeing some bananas on my counter today wondering how a little bourbon might work in some banana bread.

I like a little shot of bourbon or cognac in sauteed mushrooms, right as they're almost finished, with a little extra pat of butter and a pinch of salt.

Cheers!

Let me Know if you make the Banana bread how it turns out I bet it will be awesome. As for the Pancakes I never use water as it does not take much and the Pancakes are awesome, give it a try and let me know. I call them old Fashion Bourbon Cakes! I have used Bourbon and beer together to sautee Mushrooms and Onions and they are great!

Dave Z

===================================

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.