Cooking with Bourbon & Whiskey for Fun

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another great one to make with Bourbon is old Fashion Bourbon Meat Loaf! Just put some Bourbon in with the ground Meat Put some bourbon in a dish and put your Onion and small pieces of bread to soak in the Bourbon and in another dish mix some Bourbon with Ketchip, mix the onions and bread with the meat bast the Loaf with the Bourbon Ketchip mixture and if you like put a little Bourbon Ketchip mix in the meat mix also! Then bake and enjoy!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon

=========================================

I am going to try an old Favorite again maybe this week Whiskey Flavored Corn cakes. I take a good brand of Pancake mix add real good creamed Corn an egg and whiskey to moisten and a dash of Olive oil to make them moist also. Pour on a grittle and Whiskey Corn cakes!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon

======================================

I am wondering if any out there have done any Crock Pot cooking with Whiskey? I have not and have been wondering what a good Beef stew would be like in a crock pot with Either Bourbon or Blended. I have a feeling that crock pot cooking might just bring the best out of the Bourbon. If anyone has done something like that please let me know.

Dave Z

Old hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

=====================================

Something I have not tried and I am thinking about is putting a dash of Whiskey in some type of ready to heat Soup to see what it does. I love soups and have had soups with beer used in them but never Soup with whiskey. So I will try this one of these days I think with maybe a Clam Chowder! If anyone has tried this let me know how it worked out.

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

===================================

Dave,

I would hate for the bourbon to break the cream in your chowda! That would make for some real bad soup....so don't use anything too high in proof.

I am thinking about baking some Spam and Beans again and this time in a bowl with lots of Beer and Whiskey to soak then Bake. I love the sweetness that whiskey gives to Spam and I want to see what the two together soaking first do for its flavor!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most magnificent Bourbon

--------------====================-----------

• 4 weeks later...

Why not pour a little Bourbon in the burgers before you put them on the grill, they will surprise you how good they will taste! I like putting Bourbon in my Meat loaf with the ketchp and pieces of bread, when it is done the flavor is wonderful so I would think burgers on the grill with Bourbon in them would be too?

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent bourbon

I cooked for a while with Spam some years ago. I used the lower salt version because I find the regular one way too salty. I think I found a low salt low fat Spam that was still rich enough for me.

I liked it partly for the taste and partly for the interesting history of this food (see Wikipedia for many absorbing details). In Canada, we have Klik and Kam which are similar, I believe these canned luncheon meats are known only in Canada but I might be wrong.

I never tried it with liquor but I could see glazing a whole Spam with bourbon and brown sugar and cloves.

By the way, Elizabeth David once wrote an essay on the use of whisky in the kitchen which is amusing and typically brilliant. I'll post a short extract soon. (I think it is allowed to cite short extracts of works provided it is for research or educational purposes and not to make money).

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.