So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It is a damp, wet day.... so a good day for a cigar and a bit of reading. Picked a 1998 Trinidad Fundadores ( CLE AGO) from the humi and settled in with a copy of "My Life" which is Fidel Castro's recent autobiography by Fidel and Ignacio Ramonet. Beverage was a cup of Rwanda Bourbon coffee with a touch of half and half.

The Fundadores is a format I really enjoy, 40 x 7.5", as it is an elegant 2 hour smoke. Dark Colorado wrapper, nice oil sheen and a prelight aroma of damp soil, wood and hints of leather. The cigar drew perfectly and burned razor sharp. Flavors of spice, cocoa and oak mingled with some floral tones. No harshness, good balance and very nice complexity made for a great smoke with a long finish. While the 1998 Fundy's have a lot of life left in them, they are smoking extremely well at the 10 year point.

As for the book it is an interesting read and gives one a good insight into the way Castro thinks and see's the world. As one would expect he has some interesting perspectives,,, some worth pondering, others way off base. Overall it provides one of the better looks at Castro and his thinking.

Not smoking anything tonight as it's raining outside and the "queen" won't allow me to smoke in the house.

Last night I had a CAO Italia. Excellent. Had some Famous Grouse which was totally overwhelmed.

Chris

Tonight it was a Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta with a pour of Wild Turkey Tribute. Wonderful.

Joe :usflag:

It has been raining for three days and there is not more to do when i get home but sip on some '06 old forester birthday bourbon, and my favorite smoke, a perdomo edicion de silivo. What else could a man ask for?

It has been raining for three days and there is not more to do when i get home but sip on some '06 old forester birthday bourbon, and my favorite smoke, a perdomo edicion de silivo. What else could a man ask for?

Same here... still raining today and it poured yesterday so as you say what better to do than enjoy a bourbon, cigar and to catch up with some Tivo shows.....

Yesterday was Very Old Barton BIB, Por Larranaga Lonsdale and a few weeks of Tivo saved MI-5's from BBC TV. How can you beat VOB for the price!!! The PL Lonsdale (DEB AGO06) was a bit young but still delicious. As always MI-5 is a great show to enjoy on a lazy afternoon.

On Saturday I had a La Gloria Cubana Reserva Felicias Maduro. It was excellent, smoked it while walking with the wife and son.

On Saturday I had a La Gloria Cubana Reserva Felicias Maduro. It was excellent, smoked it while walking with the wife and son.

Ernesto still makes one of the best cigars on the market today, La Gloria Cubana. He has also, IMO, continued to price his cigars a point that is very attractive. I find it hard to beat his Wavell's from both a taste and value perspective. His Reserva's are outstanding......

Finally... no rain today in Virginia!! Sat outside to catch up on some reading and to enjoy a cigar. Given the choice I enjoy a cigar outside on a still day rather then indoors.

Today I enjoyed a La Gloria Cubana Trunk Show Figurado from 2001. After the previous posts on La Gloria I wanted to revisit an old favorite. In 2000 Ernesto wanted to do a few special cigars from some older tobacco he had in his warehouses that did not go with the sale of La Gloria. He produced a few hundred boxes that were sold as "futures" through one of his prime retailers in Virginia. As with many things in life I wish I would have bought more. They were outstanding cigars that were packaged in special varnished cabinets with the buyers name inside on a brass plate. Back in 2000 these were priced at a premium to his standard lines... $120 - 170 / cabinet...... a bargain even then.

In any case these have really aged very well producing tons of creamy smoke. Spice, floral notes, expresso and hints of earth. Perfect balance and complexity with a long finish. A damn good $6 cigar!!

post-1354-14489813942516_thumb.jpg

One of those ass-buster weeks workin' for the man. Just finished a nice hour on the front porch with one of my favorites, Rocky Patel Vintage Series 1990. Accompanied by a nice pour of some early 1980's vintage, 8 yr Fighting Cock that I picked up today. Nice combo.

JOE

I haven't smoked for a while, but decided to begin enjoying an occasional cigar out on the patio recently.

Sunday, I fired up the smoker and did some ribs. I enjoyed a Bolivar Fuerte corona size with a beer while watching the smoker.

Last night was a Hoyo de Monterey Double Corona from a box I picked up in the Cayman Islands last year. I fixed me a Manhattan to go with it. This has always been a favorite of mine and this one didn't disappoint me.

Randy

Randy, doesn't look like you could have had a better day.... we must be in sync as last evening I was enjoying a HdM Churchill with a "few" Manhattan's. Finished off some Q from a competition I judged over the weekend.

Tonight is sauteed mussels with a Rombauer Chardonney. Probably cap of the evening with a rye and cigar.....

i'm not sure how this will go over.. but i don't smoke tobacco. however i do enjoy smoking marijuana.. and if i'm alone and able to control my intake to only a few puffs it can increase the intensity of flavour in beer, wine or spirits.. in canada it's quite accepted by the way.

i'm not sure how this will go over.. but i don't smoke tobacco. however i do enjoy smoking marijuana.. and if i'm alone and able to control my intake to only a few puffs it can increase the intensity of flavour in beer, wine or spirits.. in canada it's quite accepted by the way.

Now we know why Gary Gillman is so good at picking out flavors.

:toast:

JOE

An absolutely beautiful evening last night here in Georgia, after a nice thunderstorm. So I decided to pair up a thunderstorm of a cigar, Oliva Serie V, with a very pleasant and silky smooth, McScrooges Pappy 15.

It's all about balance.

JOE

We had a small gthering at the hacienda last evening with a few friends. Some good wines, bourbon, food and cigars. The gang enjoyed both the Fuente 898 as well as the HdM du Prince from a 2000 cab of 50. Great cigars all around....

Tonight it was the fisrt night of "real" summer weather so I had a Trinidad (corona size) on the balcony. No wind. Perfect with coffee!

Punch Punch Cabinet selection from 2004 enjoyed with a bit of RRR... very nice combination especially given the softness of the RRR and the hint of sweetness on the back end.

Tonight a Montecristo No.4 with coffee. The Monte has mostly nutty flavours that I detected. I like this one very much!!!

The Monte 4 is a tough cigar to beat for a very consistent smoke at a decent price. Was the best selling Havana in the world for years but was recently over taken by the Partagas SD #4.... Clearly reflects the move towards robusto format cigars.

...robusto format cigars.

Just curious - what is a robusto cigar. I thought it was a "strong blend" of tobacco but perhaps it refers to the ring guage?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!