So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious - what is a robusto cigar. I thought it was a "strong blend" of tobacco but perhaps it refers to the ring guage?

Robusto is a format that "generally" speaks to a cigar that is 5" long and 50 ring guage. At times you will find the Hermoso format, 4.875" x 48rg, being called a robusto by some.

Tonight, its my favorito of the diminutive cigars

Hemingway Short Story

Elmer T. Lee and HSS. Can't be beat while dining Al Fresco at a food and wine tasting. And the best part is some of the cost is tax deductible!!!! (Oh Ya, and the money goes to feed the less fortunate in Kentucky too!!!)

(Check out Taste of the Bluiegrass: http://www.godspantry.org/home)

Tonight, its my favorito of the diminutive cigars

Hemingway Short Story

Elmer T. Lee and HSS. Can't be beat while dining Al Fresco at a food and wine tasting. And the best part is some of the cost is tax deductible!!!! (Oh Ya, and the money goes to feed the less fortunate in Kentucky too!!!)

(Check out Taste of the Bluiegrass: http://www.godspantry.org/home)

Ed, the HSS is one of those cigars that never misses and still sells for a reasonable price... also a good fit with bourbon.

The Taste of Bluegrass looks like a great event for a very good cause.

Tonight I had a pour of ER-101 and a Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Maduro. Nice combo.

Joe :usflag:

Last evening I enjoyed a Don Carlos Presidente from the late 90's.... a wonderful cigar that has matured beautifully over the years. Rich, creamy and not a hint of harshness. I continue to feel that the Don Carlos line is the best that Fuente makes.... a far better cigar than the Opus X. Put these away for 5-7 years and you will be richly rewarded....

Another beautiful evening in the Old Dominion. Enjoyed a 2005 Bolivar Petit Corona.... a little powerhouse. Followed that with a small pour of RR Rye which has really become a favorite on a warm spring evening... very easy to drink and very soft on the palate....

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight on the bourbon deck I had a JR Ultimate Double Maduro and a pour of Old Fitz Prime. Not bad.

Joe :bandit: :usflag:

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday I had a Montecristo Tubo, and tonight a small Cuaba - both with coffee. The Monte was almost too much for the coffee whereas the Cuaba struggled to keep up with the coffee. Both were nice and very different!

Last evening I enjoyed a 2004 Partagas Serie D #1 EL. Great cigar that is really just beginning to emerge and show it's true potential. Paired very well with a few fingers of Eagle Rare 101 from the squat bottle.....

Tonight it was a Romeo & Julietta Medallis de Oro and a pour of early 70's Yellowstone. Wonderful pairing.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight a 2005LE Montecristo. Too much for me. I think I will stick to Cuaba from now on...

Sat outside in the 110 degree heat tonight and smoked an OPUS X xXx (Power Ranger). Those things pack a punch, but I would be hard pressed to find a cigar with the big bellowing smoke and taste it provides in such a small package.

Last Friday I had an Opus X Number 4. Went down well with some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. The guy next to me at the bar asked what as I was smoking as it smelt strong but very nice. We ending up chatting for the next 1/2 hour or so. Nice time, those are things that only can happen sitting at a bar.

A deck of Export A, green pack. (Just kidding).

Gary

A deck of Export A, green pack. (Just kidding).

Gary

HAHA. Man that's one of the nastiest pack of smokes on the planet. I haven't seen them around in a long time.

In truth I meant I was kidding in the sense that I gave up the tobacco habit long ago. Actually I liked Export, it was a full-flavoured brand of the old style. Just being nostalgic in other words!

Gary

I enjoy reading this thread even though I don't smoke anymore. It is interesting how people pair the taste of whiskey with different kinds of cigars and their characteristics, and I like reading about that. When I first started drinking bourbon, I used to smoke American cigarettes sometimes with it (when travelling in the U.S.), and the odors of an American Turkish tobacco blend and bourbon whiskey are something I associated together for decades. I've mentioned in other threads other cigaret types I used to like, Canadian brands (which use Virginia tobacco) and the hand-rolled cigarets made from Drum. The traditional old-style Canadian brand apart from Export was Player's. To be sure I could see how some people wouldn't like them since they were heavy-tasting, tarry cigarets, but they were a tradition. I think today while the brand names survive the cigaret blends probably have gotten a lot lighter (not a bad thing since these products as is well known are not good for the health..).

Gary

We used to do a lot of fly-in fishing in the upper reaches of Canada when I was younger. Some times we would go in the bush for two weeks at a time. I remember loading up on Export-A's (and Labatt's 50) before each trip. When you're in your 20's, you have no fear, either about adventure or the smokes you consume. Canadian smokes were cheap then.

Labatt's 50 still tastes the same Joe, you can get it two blocks away from where I work, on draft. It is not as popular as 30 years ago but is still available, as is the very nice Molson Export Ale.

Gary

as is the very nice Molson Export Ale.

Gary

We can't get Molson Export in MI any more.

We used to call it the ships, because of the tall ships on the logo.

Glad there is still Molson Golden here.

Ah, that's too bad. Export is still a good beer. It was devised in 1903 and is an example of "Canadian sparkling ale", which is a top-fermented beer as for all ales but with cold aging in the Germanic lager style to round it out. This gives it characteristics of both an ale and a lager. It probably (before 1950 or so) was more malt-oriented and hoppier, but it is still a good product especially on draft. It has a characteristically earthy taste I find.

Gary

Enjoyed a bit of RR Rye last evening with a 2005 RyJ #4 from a cab of 50. Always a great cigar that tends to get overlooked with all the special releases Havana seems to be consumed with these days. They remain very approachable price wise (except in Canada!!!).

I have a AF Don Carlos Robusto in my bag to be smoked after work today, looking forward to that!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll call it an Epiphany. I have made up a couple of Sazarac cocktails recently, and paired them with a few cigars. And, the Sazarac is the PERFECT pairing with a good smoke, to me! Tonight, it was an Oliva Serie V, with a Sazarac, made with Baby Saz as the base. D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!! Thank Goodness, I'm heading to Bardstown next month for KBF, so I can pick up more Peychaud's. I'm gonna be running through it, as we head to Fall. Pain in the Arse to make, but well worth it, with a good cigar!

Cheers!

JOE

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!