allergic to Elliot Ness...

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Omar wrote:"Try the Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12y instead."Omar,Only if it's in someone else's liquor cabinet. smile.gif I've already thrown away 16 bucks; I don't intend to gamble another 35 (Hi-Time's price).See posts by vasshopper, most recently in the thread "Old Fitzgerald - 100*". His experience seems to corroborate my impression of the 100*, inasmuch as he refers to its "hot finish". I was a bit more melodramatic ("flaming horror" was my expression of it).Furthermore, he refered to an earlier thread about an allegedly bad bottle of the VSOF 12. (Perhaps it was, indeed, merely a bad bottle; I didn't go back to the earlier thread to check.)Along the way there was Linn's comment about his experience with so-called "Stitzel-Weller" bourbon. (I assume they took over the production of Old Fitz at some point, but I'm just guessing, inasmuch as Heaven Hill's website now lists it as one of their brands.)By any chance is your experience with the Old Fitz brand based on bottlings produced prior to the Stitzel-Weller era? confused.gif Some disagreements are easily attributable to differences in taste (e.g., why am I the only one who doesn't like Knob Creek?), but my bottle of Old Fitz BIB doesn't just taste bad; it feels bad, causing me to recall the word "rotgut". shocked.gif Yours truly,Dave Morefield

Apparently some people simply have an allergic reaction to wheated bourbons. I suggest you use one of the fine bourbon processing services mentioned from time to time in this forum.

Chuck,

I'm inclined to believe that I have no allergy to wheated bourbon. I occasionally drink Maker's Mark and Rebel Yell as afternoon, on-the-rocks refreshment with no difficulty.

Perhaps even more telling, I rhapsodized recently about my first taste of Old Rip 13 y/o 107* bourbon. It was love at first sniff, and I still respected it the next morning.

I believe that either I have a so-called "bad bottle", whatever that means, or else whoever produced my bottle has simply lost the formula for making good bourbon. I can allow for differences in taste, but short of outright masochism I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy this stuff. The finish is actually painful.

I may engage one of the bourbon processing services you mentioned; I believe one of them responded earlier to this thread. When my Sam's order arrives, I'll have the necessary packing material to pursue that option. It will be worth the effort for me to obtain a knowledgeable second opinion.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

HA! HA! Bass Players Rule! grin.gif Dave for the most part I do agree that wheated bourbons as a whole, but not all, do suck considerable ass. They're still better than sc**ch, but not by much! blush.gif

LOL sounds like A buisness I could put some work behind!! Yup yup, Dave you wanna be my first client???

& did you say that Old Fitz was BIB??

LOF'n L!!!

BleeBlee!!

Tom (the Entrepeneur) C

I have tried two Whisk(e)y's in the past week: I finally revisited Maker's Mark, and a friend let me try <attempting a snotty accent> The Balvenie 12 Year Old Double Wood and , truth be told the Maker's was light years ahead of the S***CH!!!! so you can dislike wheaters all you like, but even comparing them to Malt Crap is BLASPHEMOUS!!

Tom (The Wheat Defender!!) C

PS I suppose they are both WHISKYS, Maker's Mark Doesnt use an E in their spelling, right??

If anyone cares, I did not create the subject line "allergic to Elliot Ness" for this thread, nor did I move the reply posts that were originally directed to the "Calling Elliot Ness" thread. Note that one of the replies first used the word "allergic" in the body of the post, and I did likewise in a response.

I contend that a software glich created this offshot of my "Calling Elliot Ness" thread. I've asked Linn to look into that possibility, if only to clear my good name.

Really guys, I'm not clever enough or bored enough to bollix up a thread like that.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Relax Dave, you aren't in trouble grin.gif

The thread(s) in queston may very well have diverged as a result of some bug in the PHP version of the UBBThreads software. The perl version of this software was very mature, and as such, had very few issues (and very few features). In any event, it ain't no big thang.

A review of the log files indicates that I rebooted the web server right about the time these threads diverged. Needless to say, rebooting the server also kills and restarts the database used by SB.

If someone was in the process of composing a reply to the "elliot ness" thread, no telling what sort of FM might have been caused by that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.