Bought Regans The Book Of Bourbon

PhilsFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just bought the Regan's "The Book Of Bourbon" on eBay. It's amazing how much they want for this out of print book on Amazon, Abebooks etc. They are upwards of $100 on those sites.

So I found an international seller in Great Britain who was selling it...

got it for $36 USD including shipping. It'll take a while to get here but I can wait.

-Joe

I had a couple of extra copies and sold them for some nice dollars. That was maybe a year ago and they were going for $85-$90 then. Congratulations on finding a better price. It's supply and demand but apparently there isn't enough demand for the publisher to justify republishing it. It's also about 13 years old so presumably could stand to be updated, although I still sell my documentary, which is even older, and it's surprising how much hasn't changed.

I still sell my documentary, which is even older, and it's surprising how much hasn't changed.

Chuck, after our recent trip to Kentucky for the Sampler, I thoroughly enjoyed re-visiting the DVD. Some of the faces have aged, but the scenery hadn't. :D

After seeing PhilsFan's find of The Book Of Bourbon, I did some searching/shopping too. I bought Givens new book Bourbon At It's Best at Barnes and Noble last Thursday. Today, after searching on Amazon.com I bought Chuck's Bourbon Straight and Made and Bottled In Kentucky, Crowgey's Kentucky Bourbon: The Early Years Of Whiskeymaking, The Book of Bourbon by the Regans, and The Evolution Of The Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky by Sam K. Cecil. That should keep me busy for a while. Plan on picking up a copy of But Always, Fine Bourbon at the KBF this year if I can wait. An interesting side note, I wouldn't have known about Sam Cecil if it wasn't for our tour of MM at the KBF last year. About halfway through the tour we were joined by two elderly ladies. Our guide said we were in for a special treat. It was Sam Cecil's widow and her friend. They finished the tour with us and she chatted and answered questions from our group at the end of the tour. She was a very nice lady. Joe

post-3455-14489814060681_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I just found and bought a used copy of The Book Of Bourbon on Amazon for $30.

I saw another used one on there for $28 if anyone was interested...

ABEbooks.com is another excellent source of second hand and hard to find books. I've used it to find dozens of books over the years.

The book needs a serious update (such as what the specifics are for Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill wheated bourbon, none of which existed at the time it was published) but is still an incredible resource. And yes, some of these books can really get pricey.

This past Friday I was at [well-known liquor store] when I noticed they had two copies of "But Always Fine Bourbon", one of which had been scribbled on, and both of which has scuffed backs. They're being sold for $34.95 each but I did not have the money to procure both this book and the whiskey I traveled to get, so I let the book go until this next week when I get paid.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at Amazon. Amazon has it used for $89, and new for $100!

Hopefully one of those will still be left next week; Julian's website still says it's for sale at $40 a pop, though, so maybe it's still good if I strike out locally.

Sheesh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.