Appleton Rum

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was watching a travel program on Jamaica and they profiled both Appleton Rum and Blue Mountain coffee operations.

Appleton uses some old copper pot stills....claimed to be of unique design...and the master blender is a woman who indicated only two people have the recipe. Interesting to see her tasting various barrel samples and combining them into her perfect profile.

The coffee operation was similar....great lengths to find the best beans..then batch tasting for the best.

The most popular version of rum in Jamaica is "over-proofed" rum...about 133 proof or similar...a lot of drunk Jamaicans were viewed in the rum bars...add in some ganja....look out! Too bad they really cannot afford their coffee.

I have always found Appleton to be a decent rum but overall a pedestrian pour among other much better offerings. As for the Jamaica Blue Mountain it really is not worth the $$$, IMO, and 95% of what you see offered for sale is anything but JBM.

A rum review site:

http://www.rumreviews.com/?rr=reviews

They give the Appleton Estate VX and Estate Extra high marks.

I am not really a rum drinker other than in mixed drinks....we are going to Jamaica in June...maybe if I get the chance to try some high quality rum straight I can report back.

Another site: http://www.rndrumreviews.com/RnDRumReviews/Rum.html

I own an Appleton 21 its one of my favs. So good. WAY less sweet than the popular Ron Zacapa 23, but for twice the price and more rare. A good balance of complex flavors and some sweetness to remind us its still rum.

I have met Joy Spence, the master blender at Appleton, a couple of times. Just a very cool lady. Remembering that Jamaica was a British colony and is still closely linked with the UK, it is interesting how much about the way Appleton makes its rum is similar to the way blended scotch whiskey is made.

Joy also knows coffee. Prior to Appleton, she had a similar job at Tia Maria.

I know even less about rum than about bourbon.

When I read Colin Powell's book, the one thing that stuck with me was the fact that Appleton rum is a feature of all the Powell family gatherings.

I took that as a high (ha!) recommendation and bought a bottle of Appleton Estate. I drank most of the bottle neat and found it pleasant and undemanding. Later I tried the Estate VX. By that time I had lost most of my recall of the earlier bottling. They tasted the same to me.

Considering what $40 will buy from the bourbon shelves, I doubt that I'll buy more Appleton rum. However, I'll be happy to drink it any time it's served to me as a guest.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I have met Joy Spence, the master blender at Appleton, a couple of times. Just a very cool lady. Remembering that Jamaica was a British colony and is still closely linked with the UK, it is interesting how much about the way Appleton makes its rum is similar to the way blended scotch whiskey is made.

Interesting. What I don't like about Appleton is the molasses flavour in the taste - I've found this in the VX, Extra, and 12yr old bottlings. I assume this taste comes through because of some pot still use from the distillery (and molasses is the raw ingredient all rums not Rum Agrigole - which is made from sugar cane in former French colonies).

I prefer not to taste the molasses and thus prefer Dominican rums and the 2 Venesualen rums I've tried.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Appleton 21 and really enjoy it. The only one I think is better is the Ron Zacapa 23

If you are going to Jamaica, definitely check the Jamaica Farewell duty free store at the airport. It was $55 there a couple of years ago.

Tom

I will look for that one in Jamaica...maybe the duty-free shop will have a decent price.

Whoaa! Binny's list the 750 ml at $139....I think I will revise my choice.

http://www.binnys.com/search/spiritsearch.cfm?advs=2&ptid=2&ast=33&asc=40&astxt=

The VX is $19.99 for 750 ml....the Extra $33.99.

Thanks guys! I have not been a rum sipper but this trip will allow me to try it out....and hopefully pick up a nice bottle.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys! I have not been a rum sipper but this trip will allow me to try it out....and hopefully pick up a nice bottle.

Ok, I checked out prices...the 21 yr old was going for $110....sorry, did not pick-up...still too much for me for rum. I did buy the Appleton 12 yr old 750 ml for $17...(picked up a smaller 375 ml VX bottle for $9 at the hotel gift shop..could have bought it for $6 at the Duty Free.)

Sipping the 12 yr old Appleton Extra.....

Poured into a Glencairn glass.....looks like bourbon...amber color.

Nose...initially...strong alcohol...but after a minute or two...more of a caramel scent..not really molasses...may reflect the time in oak?

Taste...smooth on the tongue, no burn...pleasant....some oak and nut flavors...

Almost like a bourbon in some respects...a nice sipping Rum is something new for me....

For rum site reviews:

http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-rum-appleton-extra.html

http://www.bilgemunky.com/reviews/rum/appletonextra.php

I think the $17 duty price was excellent.....Binny's $33.99...should have bought two.

Funny...the molasses is there....just late....a delayed taste on the tongue.....a lingering taste.

• 4 months later...

I had the appleton v/x last night as part of a larger rum tasting. I liked it, but I could not get over a very distinct flavor in it. To me, there were clearly peat overtones. It many ways it reminded me of sweet scotch. Am I loosing my mind, or could there possibly be peat flavors in this pour?

By the way, the Flor de Cana 7yo stole the show for me. It was very whiskey-esque

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.