yummmm - this Baby Saz is excellent

DowntownD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

picked up my first bottle ($23 at my local Spec's), had four 1oz pours last night and another few (or so) tonight for both my friend and I. it's an instant favorite for both of us.

I mean - this stuff is really good, very candied to me - similar to Elmer's in that sense, though in a different way. very easy to drink, without being the least bit boring. yumm.

After drinking a few or more bottles of Old Overholt through the years, I tried some Saz jr.

I will not be buying OO anylonger. The Saz if far superior in every way to OO. The amount of unique flavors that BT coaxes out of their rye is unbelievable. If you have not tried the Saz yet.....don't wait too long. A new favorite pour is on your horizon.

Glad you enjoyed it D!

If you have not tried the Saz yet.....don't wait too long. A new favorite pour is on your horizon.

Especially the special bottling by Cork & Bottle in Covington. Outstanding stuff.

Joe :usflag:

Under "Fun things to do with baby Saz," I would list vatting with Handy. I mentioned to another sb'er in a pm that I wanted to cut some '06 Handy with water, but I was out of bottled and spring water, only having tap. Not that municipal water is terrible here, but it's not great either. Remembering that Saz is the same mashbill as Handy, I decided to use that instead. I've done the same vatting with the '07, varying from Saz : Handy in 1:2 and 1:1 proportions. It works very well.

Anyone try something similar with Saz and Saz18?

Mark, I have done this with the baby and the standard saz... makes for a multitude of drinks of saz from the same builds...

Anyone vatted ryes from other producers? I'd be interested in a WT Rye/Saz or Ritt BIB/Saz vatting. I don't have any of those open right now, so I'll have to rely on someone else.

Anyone vatted ryes from other producers? I'd be interested in a WT Rye/Saz or Ritt BIB/Saz vatting. I don't have any of those open right now, so I'll have to rely on someone else.

I vatted BMH 18 and Ritt BIB at 1:1 but wasn't happy with the results. Per Gary Gillman's suggestion I tried 1:3 and that was better.

SOON I will get some Baby Saz. I'm sure I'll try vatting it with the BMH 18, which is both too expensive and too woody.

• 8 months later...

Trying my first rye ever tonight, a baby Saz. It is a revelation, just fantastic.

Just over twenty bucks here in NH, a great price for some truly extraordinary whiskey. I could drink this whole bottle tonight! This stuff really made my week.

Cheers!

I'm deep into my second bottle in a month from a fresh case. One of my favorites early in my American Whiskey career that I knew immediately would be an enduring presence.

In the past few months I've had Overholt, VWFRR, Russels Reserve, and Saz Jr. Shortly I'll have some much awaited Rittenhouse BIB, but I'm not confident that it will knock Jr. off it's perch.

This stuff is darn good and I'm confilicted about diluting it in a cocktail but I must try it in it's traditional fashion just to see what all the fuss was about.

Enjoy!

Glad to here you've finally given it a try, Luna.

Its good stuff.

Well, thanks for the nudge. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

Cheers!

finally tracked this one down at two stores between the Naval Air Station and Perdido Key, FL. It's a little higher down here than what others of you report - 28.99 and 32.99.

Picked it up yesterday and tried it for the first time today. I've already put it in my top two!

I'm deep into my second bottle in a month from a fresh case. One of my favorites early in my American Whiskey career that I knew immediately would be an enduring presence.

In the past few months I've had Overholt, VWFRR, Russels Reserve, and Saz Jr. Shortly I'll have some much awaited Rittenhouse BIB, but I'm not confident that it will knock Jr. off it's perch.

This stuff is darn good and I'm confilicted about diluting it in a cocktail but I must try it in it's traditional fashion just to see what all the fuss was about.

Enjoy!

First made it in a Manhattan couple of months ago - great stuff. my ratio is like 4.5:1 or 5:1. Like the strong rye flavor.

You buy this stuff by the case? Can I be your new best friend?:grin:

TJ

^ Yeah, here in Ohio we can get cases of this. It run $26.75/ea and comes in cases of 6.

I sold one to my buddy and one to Callemox. Next time, I'm keeping them all!

I do prefer it over RITT BIB and I think I'd prefer 2 bottles of Baby Saz. to 1 VWFRR most of the time. I ended up closing out last night with Baby Saz and it turned into "I'll have one Saz Jr. to close out the night" into 3 of them.

You can still buy VWFRR? It's pretty scarce in these parts. Saz jr makes a pretty good manhattan but I think the RH BIB is better for that. I tried 1 oz each of saz jr., handy, and saz 18 yr together, nice vatting.

I recently purchased a bottle to mix with (seemed the obvious choice to make a "Sazerac" cocktail). To my surprise I prefered it on its own. I've so far only compared it to High West Rendezvous, a rye that tastes remarkably similar (my girlfriend preferred the baby Saz in a blind taste test - and they were pretty much a tie for me) but the Sazerac is $20 cheaper. Looking forward to compare it with the Rittenhouse BiB next.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.