Bourbon Baked Beans

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No not blasphemy, but the Country Style blows them Bourbon Grilling Beans outta the water.

:thumbsup:

I agree with you there. The Country Style is their best!

Another historical angle on Wikipedia:

"According to alternative traditions, sailors brought cassoulet from the south of France, or the regional bean stew recipes from northern France and the Channel Islands.

Most probably, a number of regional bean recipes coalesced and cross-fertilised in North America and ultimately gave rise to the baked bean culinary tradition familiar today."

Heinz first sold their canned beans in the U.K. in 1886 and the beans were imported from Canada until 1928.

I think that is true. I have also read that the French bean stew, cassoulet, was a development of the Jewish cholent. Cholent generally is eaten by devout families, which mine was not (although certainly ethnically Jewish and proud of it). Only in my 20's or later did I get a chance to try it. It is based on navy or lima beans, swelled up with long cooking, and improved with a piece of beef or chicken or what have you. Cholent was popular because it could be cooked through the Sabbath, the oven was left on low or to cool and thus a new fire was not made, but the dish kept cooking of a fashion. It is a very solid dish, but good of its type.

But who knows, pulses and meats and vegetables are all ancient in numerous cultures...

Gary

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna give the Sandra Lee recipe a try tonight...the only other Bourbon Baked Beans recipe I've tried in the past is the one in Regan's Book of Bourbon, which I will admit to not being a fan of.

After this I'm gonna try a recipe Bettye Jo posted long ago here

I remember that recipe and its interesting note of adding coffee. Coffee has long been added to some American dishes. There is one ... I can't remember ... not red-eye gravy, or maybe it is.

I suggest a substitution of any good stout for an interesting variation.

Gary

I remember that recipe and its interesting note of adding coffee. Coffee has long been added to some American dishes. There is one ... I can't remember ... not red-eye gravy, or maybe it is.

I suggest a substitution of any good stout for an interesting variation.

Gary

This recipe show you as being correct, Gary

And you might be onto something there too, Gary...

Bourbon and Coffee Stout Baked Beans

or

Coffee and Bourbon Barrel Stout Baked Beans...

I'm likin' the sound of those...but I can't get beers resembling either of those styles in the swamp...

There's craft-brewed coffee porter in these parts, I'll bring some to Gazebo.

Gary

Thanks. Bell's makes a Java Stout that I can get in KY that made me think of using the combo.

• 6 months later...

All the talk of the upcoming Sampler and the KBF made me realize that I don't know what I did with the recipe for the Baked Beans I did last Sept went...looks like I'll be working on it again...:rolleyes: at least I have plenty of time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.