Sailor Jerry Navy Rum

OldJack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Mrs. isn't much on whiskey, but she loves a nice rum drink. Since she always mixes her rum, we usually buy pretty cheap stuff, but I decided to step up a notch to the moderately priced Sailer Jerry.

I have to say that I'm impressed. Poured over crushed ice and topped with a wedge of lime, it is a darn fine summer sipper- even more so with a pack of splenda, a splash of club soda, and a dash of Fee's Mint Bitters. And with Coke zero, it is sublime. Not bad for the price of admission

Rum is probably my second favorite pour.

I prefer to mix with Sprite or 7-up though, keeps the lightness when the temp gets up aroung 100 degrees. Some of the brands I enjoy are: Dark- Meyers, Light-Mt. Gay Sugar Cain, Spiced- Castillo(cheap but good). There are plenty of other labels that are noteworthy...too many to mention.

Sailor Jerry is an excellent rum....especially being 90 proof. Another good family of labels is Pyrat.

Have you ever tried mixing a drink with some pomagranite molasis?

Sailor Jerry was one of my most pleasant discoveries. I'd basically written off spiced rum after Captain Morgan (bleh), but SJ is a totally different animal. It's quite a high-quality spirit, with great flavors of cherry and vanilla. As you can imagine, it goes GREAT with Coke (especially Coke Zero, as mentioned), and makes a fantastic cuba libre when you toss in a bit of lime, actually the best I've ever had.

It's funny, but Captain Morgan really tastes like firewater to me, but SJ is 11% ABV higher, and I don't even notice the alcohol! I've turned probably half a dozen people onto SJ, and they're all big fans now.

Sailor Jerry is another fine product from the folks at Wm Grant & Sons. It has been growing at at 30% rate the last few years I've been told.

My wife has a receipe for banna muffins that includes SailorJerrys and brandy

wecall it grandmas secret ingrediants, good for chuch coffee hours!

• 5 months later...

Actually, it's 92 proof, and one of my very favorite rums (right up there with Bacardi 151 :grin: ) due to its smoothness, proof, and the flavor which has just the right amount of spice. Very drinkable neat or on the rocks, in my very unsophisticated opinion.

Sailor Jerry, as mentioned, is smooth and delicious -- my favorite rum for years now. We had some yesterday in hot spiced cider. Fantastic!

yes, i liked it alot. mixed it once, but like with all spirits, i prefer them w/o mixer.

beats CM Tattoo by a long shot (but then not sure about the Captain's private stock...haven't had it yet)

yes, i liked it alot. mixed it once, but like with all spirits, i prefer them w/o mixer.

beats CM Tattoo by a long shot (but then not sure about the Captain's private stock...haven't had it yet)

Cptn Private stock is excellent - - I only drink it neat -- easily the best CM product, however, Sailor Jerry is still better and cheaper.

Ok, you guys did it to me again. I would have never thought of trying a spiced rum until I saw your praises for Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum. My favorite store had only handles and they were on sale. I bought a bottle. I was stunned. The spices add a very nice balance. There is none of the one dimensional molasses dominated taste of most rums. It is also very smooth for a 92 proofer, but as the Sailor Jerry web site says, this is no girlie rum. This is quality rum for sipping neat or mixing and at a low price. Thanks guys for the tip.

It's funny to see this. I had Sailor Jerry's for the first time about a month ago, and I was stunned as well. Very nice stuff. An absolute steal at $11.99 a bottle (or thereabouts) in CA.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good drink, on the dry side with flavors detectable of cherry, caramel and maybe coffee or coffee liqueur.

For some reason I added to mine about an equal amount of Russell's Reserve bourbon and like it better, the combination of flavors is very good. I did this in the glass with a dash of cold water.

Gary

Dangit! I've been walking by Sailor Jerry's for a couple of years now. I always wanted to give it a try but had never heard anyone recommend it. I did notice the store couldn't keep it in stock and restock is few and far between. I guess that should have been my first hint. We'll I'm convinced a trip to my favorite supplier is in order. I just hope there is some left....

I've switched my spiced rum to Salior. I used to buy Captain, but hell this is cheaper around me and is better!

It's a good drink, on the dry side with flavors detectable of cherry, caramel and maybe coffee or coffee liqueur.

For some reason I added to mine about an equal amount of Russell's Reserve bourbon and like it better, the combination of flavors is very good. I did this in the glass with a dash of cold water.

Gary

Interesting!

I have both sitting right next to each other. I'll try mixing them next time.

Joel

We'll I'm convinced a trip to my favorite supplier is in order. I just hope there is some left....

I made it to my favorite vendor of joy and there on the bottom shelf shoved to the back by an intrusive bottle of Cruzan was the last bottle of Sailor Jerry. I moved the bottle of Cruzan behind a bottle of Bacardi Coconut flavored rum to teach it a lesson and then headed for the check out. At $13.00 it has my vote for best bang for the buck.

It was as good as you all promised so in your honor I raise a fresh glass of Sailor Jerry.:bowdown:

Gary

Gary, you never disappoint. I tried the two together and liked it very much.

Glad you liked it, I actually had it last night again and found it very good, rounded and rich. In Canada in the 1800's, rum was used to flavor whisky, so the idea is not new. We used to have a brand that had a rum-like taste called Captain's Table (the naval reference itself suggesting rum), unfortunately it has been lost with the years and industry consolidation. And as I've suggested in another thread, some bourbons can have - or they had - a rich rummy taste. So it all connects (not to say that novelty cannot be its own reward).

Gary

Based on all ya'lls comments here, I picked up a bottle of this at $13ish today. Ya'll are right, it IS very good. Just did a side by side with Captain Morgan Spiced, and it wasn't even close. The Sailor Jerry was much better. Fuller, richer, tastier, etc. etc. Not to mention, a heck of a lot cheaper. This will be our new spiced rum in the house.

Once Capt'n got expensive, I went looking for an alternative a few years back. I went through a LOT of shitty spiced rums, some I couldn't even finish 1 drink until I hit the jackpot.

I can't tell you how many people I've turned onto this stuff and at #11/bottle in CA it is SUPER cheap.

Now I get txt msgs that simply state: "Gone Sailin', talk to ya tomorrow."

• 10 years later...

Yes, I'm resurrecting a 10-year dormant thread to say that I discovered Sailor Jerry Rum yesterday.  Bought it on specification, and only researched it after the purchase.  

I have several sipping rums open but wanted something with more spice for Soggy Dollar Painkillers.  

Echoing all before me, this is fantastic and will easily become the new house mixing rum.  Gonna go buy another since reading it can wax and wane in availability.  

So, I'm late to the party; but I'm bringing the Rum!!  

Heehee.  The rum sector  was a much less pretentious bunch back then, a decade ago.  :D  

I still keep a bottle of it in the house and visit it from time to time.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.