Spotlight on Lexington, KY

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While flying on Delta this week, I noticed that they have a multi-page, multi-article expose on Lexington, KY, in their Delta Sky Magazine. Enjoyed reading it, in that there were several ads for Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Lexington Brewing; as well as an article on the distilleries, Ale-8-One, art, restaurants, etc. Very interesting. Great info for people who might be visiting there, and really makes one want to move there. Also, makes one wonder why anyone would leave..ahem...Ed...;)

You can view it here: http://delta-sky.com/2008_06/fullmagazine/

The link above puts you to the entire magazine, where you can turn the pages yourself. Really cool. Articles start on page 84

Cheers!

JOE

• 9 years later...

Rather than start a new topic I figured I would piggyback onto this really old one to ask for thoughts on bars and restaurants in Lexington a decade later.

Going to be in Lexington, KY on a Sunday and Monday night and curious to see what might be of interest in the evenings.

Mostly interested in cocktail and/or bourbon bars and staying as far away as possible from the college crowd. One place I have come across so far is Parlay Social, mostly a cocktail bar as best I can tell.

Restaurants I am looking for are good value for the food. Don't mind a nice place but not interested in a swanky place just to be swanky!

Is there anything of any account that is open on Sunday or do they roll up the sidewalks early that evening??? So far the Pub Lexington seems like my best option on Sunday other than Appleby's...

Also, anything going on in the evenings in Frankfurt on the bar/restaurant front to speak of on a Sunday or Monday? Seems likely to be a stretch...

Probably not too much to see in Frankfort, especially on the weekend or evening.  If you're staying in (or near) downtown Lexington, I'd recommend staying in that area as there's plenty to view and do locally.  One interesting area is Jefferson Street from Short up to Sixth Street (where the West 6th Brewery is located).  There are several decent food and drink venues in this area of revitalization, and the vibe is quite good if one wished to stroll up and down and hit several venues.  Another up and coming area is the old Distillery district of Manchester Street (it's at the rear of the Old Pepper Distillery just west of Rupp Arena).  It's a bit of a walk (or under 5 minute short car ride from anywhere downtown), but once there you have access to a Etherial Brewing Co., Barrel House Distillery (and bar), a couple of good restaurants (Goodfella's Pizzeria, which has a great bar and is IMO hands down the the best pizza in town and Middle Fork Kitchen Bar/Restaurant).  

If you're on the south side, the newly opened (and still in development) Summit at Fritz Farm is the 'new' place to check out, as they have just opened up multiple restaurants, shops and places of fine drink (World of Beer just opened up within the last week)! 

Of upmost importance, the above recommendations (or mostly anywhere downtown) should allow you to avoid the 'fresh off the boat' college throngs that you would find down on S. Broadway and Euclid Avenue!  :lol:

Thanks! Probably staying more on the northern side of town but I find Uber to be pretty flexible! They do have Uber in Lexington, right??? :D

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Thanks! Probably staying more on the northern side of town but I find Uber to be pretty flexible! They do have Uber in Lexington, right??? :D

Nooooo man, we only got horses in Kentucky!  :lol:

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

Nooooo man, we only got horses in Kentucky!  :lol:

So, who says Uber ain't got horseys????

(Note to self:  Look into starting horsey cab service in Kentucky cities...)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.