Old Portrero Rye

bromike666
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Potrero is 100% rye and compared to other ryes on the market I prefer them greatly over the Old Potrero.

So is Lot 40, difficult if not impossible to find, however (Canadian whisky made apparently in a pot still or at least batch process, and comprised of malted and unmalted rye). Indeed Lot 40 and Potrero present certain taste similarities.

Gary

Alberta Premium 25 year old is also 100% rye, I believe. Thanks ThomasH!

(Also, I like roasted grain tea too.)

All the Alberta Springs line is made from all-rye (setting aside some barley malt perhaps), but the base whiskies used will be fairly neutral in taste due to their high distilling-out proof. Still, some claim to detect a hint of rye flavor in the brand, and indeed it has something a steely edge which may denote this.

Gary

Am I missing something?

Old Potrero is 100% rye

Roger

Hmmmmm. I've got to stop drinking while posting. It's getting in the way of some key cognizant capabilities. Please just pretend I'm the village idiot and I'll be moving along after a few tips.:rolleyes:

I think I meant to ask for opinions on great 100% rye whiskies but I think that question is going to be answered without being asked. Okay, I'll be outa here before I get the pitch fork in the @$$.

Thanx!

• 6 months later...
This Whiskey is smooth. Has a bit of spice up front with that distinct pot still flavor then I get a very long middle of creme soda then some spice comes back over the sweetness to the finish. It has a "thick" sweetness. Very well balanced.

I picked up a bottle of this last week and I think NorCal nailed it. It is a fairly new release. I find it very tasty and preferable to more typical Rye offerings.

Anyone know if there is a new version of their 18th century?

• 3 weeks later...

I got a bottle of that stuff at home and boy, is it harsh! I wish I could find the Hotalings or the 19th century.

People who have never had it need to understand that Old Portrero, love it or hate it, is really in a class by itself. It bears no resemblance to any other rye whiskey on the market.

People who have never had it need to understand that Old Portrero, love it or hate it, is really in a class by itself.

I guess I'm in the hate it camp.. I think it's real crap.

Joe :usflag:

I just bought a bottle of Old Potrero "18th Century Style." I believe its a new bottling, as the store I got it from didn't carry any for awhile and the owner was complaining how he couldn't get any. It's 124.6 proof, and on the back label it says that it's a blend of whiskies from 2 years 1 month to 8 years 3 months old. On the front it says "For sale in California only"

I've had about a shot and it had an off-putting fermented cabbage? note that I didn't enjoy. So I'm letting it rest with a little air in the bottle, which has improved many past bottles with similar problems. It has a very unique flavor I've never encountered before, which is why I bought it. I've already tried most of the commonly adored brands and expressions. Now I'm looking for "something completely different," like any decent Python fan would :)

Just removed the cap for a quick sniff and it seems like the off-flavor is receeding. It's smells very grainy and slightly creamy/sweet. Looking forward to working my way through this one.

It's 124.6 proof, and on the back label it says that it's a blend of whiskies from 2 years 1 month to 8 years 3 months old.

That's interesting, very interesting. I'm wondering what they're up to over in S.F.--letting they're juice sit in the barrel for a longer period, and then blending it with younger spirit.

I have to say, I'm a big fan of OP. I've been wanting to taste some recent bottlings, but haven't come across anything at all. Their stuff is rare to come by even within driving distance from the source.

• 3 weeks later...
People who have never had it need to understand that Old Portrero, love it or hate it, is really in a class by itself. It bears no resemblance to any other rye whiskey on the market.

I've had about 4 pours from my bottle of OP now, and Chuck is on the mark, as usual. It's nothing like ANY whiskey that I've ever had, rye or otherwise. I'm starting to like it quite a bit.

I asked my girlfriend to smell it and say the first thing that came to mind. Her answer was "Sweet. Mild. Peaches.... and cream." So we agree on the sweet and creamy notes.

Anyways, good stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.