Best Chips Are..?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What's the best potato chips out there today?

In terms of brands available nationally, I always liked Wise.

I also developed a taste for Pringle's, they make a low-fat one I like.

It's not diet food but chips and a good dip are still a great snack with bourbon.

Gary

There's a local chip in Toronto with a flavoring of black pepper and lime that is really good. I don't know how the maker hit on that combination (it isn't intuitive, or so I would have thought), but it is great.

I never liked barbecue chips by the way, they had an odd flavor I thought.

I do like chips that have a "salt and vinegar" taste.

Gary

I have to agree Gary, Wise has always done it for me. They are the same now as when I was growing up. I don't eat them, or anything else for that matter when drinking bourbon. But with a good sandwich and a beer, bring them on!

A (funny, I think) chips story.

We've all probably known people who are shall we say a bit odd or eccentric. I had a friend like that in Montreal. Very bright guy but always did things his way and he had certain amusing practices.

One of his habits was to maintain, in his first apartment after he was working, two kinds of chips. He had his "best chips" for his favored guests (say, a new girl he was taking out), and his "second best chips" for other guests.

I can't recall at this date what distinguished them. At that time anyway, chips in the silver bags would go a bit soft if too old, so maybe those were the second best. Or maybe he decided it by brand.

Gary

At our party Saturday we served Kettle brand "Salt and Pepper" crinkle cut chips. Everybody loved them.

My wife, being a New Orleans native, is partial to Zapps, but we can't get those here.

Lately I have been eating Cape Cod and Bolder for great chip taste with light salt and I have replaced Ruffles with Michael Stevens.

I am not a health food nut, but these do come from those sections. I actually taste potato and the salt does not kick me the teeth like Ruffles and Lays.

I had not ever realized how salty they were until I switched to the other brands (because they were on sale and they had free tastings) and not I am hooked.

The lower salt is better with the bourbon as well :D

I strongly favor Zapp's, from Grammercy, Louisiana. A little expensive, but worth it. These were some of the first "kettle style" chips I remember seeing.

Tim

IMO the best potato chips, by far, come from Berks County PA, in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. They are Good's brand in the blue & white bag. They are lard fried and absolutely great.

Joe :usflag:

When I fall off the diet wagon, I often hit my head on a bag of Dirty chips (I'm partial to the salt and vinegar style). A good peanut oil crunch and not too oily. The black pepper and sea salt are also tasty.

They only ship to the lower 48, so Cam is SOL.

Zapps and Cap Cod are both great as are Mrs. Vickie's, which are put out by Frito-Lay these days and should be easy enough to find.

For something really different, TerraChips Spice Sweet Potato Chips are fantastic- especially w/ guacamole.

I really like Kettle 'lower salt' chips. I grew up eating Guy's and Charles Chips, but mergers & acquistions must have put the whammy on those two.

I remember Charles Chips from my high school days. They were pretty good, as I remember.

I've had Cape Cod chips, they're pretty good.

I like Ripple-type chips. For some reason the shape seems to make them taste better, I don't know why!

Gary

I'm gonna bring a box of Good's chips to the Gazebo in September. Get ready for a treat.

Beer Chips are excellent! I haven't seen them for sale any place by me but when I was at Brewtopia I must have eaten 4 or 5 bags of them! They're thick cut kettle chips with salt, sugar, and beer. Another kind I thought was pretty good were these extra dark potato chips from the Amish Market, they don't have a brand name though, at least not that I know of. Pringles are pretty good too but out of the 3 I mentioned the Beer Chips are by far the best. More generally speaking, I'll take kettle cooked potato chips over the regular ones almost any day.

Count me in as another vote for Zapp's. First time I had them was at one of those sandwich places where you get a big, fat sandwich, a bag of chips and a bottle of your favorite soda. I was immediately hooked and pick them up anytime I see them.

Count me in as another vote for Zapp's. First time I had them was at one of those sandwich places where you get a big, fat sandwich, a bag of chips and a bottle of your favorite soda.

Oh yeah.

Before Katrina, my wife and I would visit New Orleans about every eight months or so. On the way back we'd always stop at this sandwich joint in Slidell. I'd get a Andouille sausage po' boy, Zapps crawtaters and an Abita Springs root beer[1]. Heaven!

1. Sweetened with sugar, not HFCS.

CC, come on back to NO it is still a wonderful vibrant city, with great music and romance. The Quater, uptown, the zoo, city park, the street car and most of the beloved spots in NO are still there andd thriving.

CC, come on back to NO it is still a wonderful vibrant city, with great music and romance. The Quater, uptown, the zoo, city park, the street car and most of the beloved spots in NO are still there andd thriving.

At that time we lived in Tallahassee, about a five hour drive. Now we live in Oregon.

Someday we'll make a return visit.

I make my own homemade chips from time to time and flavor them however the mood strikes me. I just use my food processor slicing attachment to slice the potatoes and fry them in the same deep fryer I use for my Toasted Raviolis. Most of the time I just go light on the salt and then sprinkle a Kraft mixture of parmesian, asiago and romano cheeses that I'm sorry to say I haven't seen a replacement for lately. Two of my favorite burger joints in Missouri make their own fresh chips and when they are still warm out of the frier they are unbelievable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.