Best Chips Are..?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Best chips.....go to Delmonico's in Las Vegas. Sit at the bar and order an Old Rip 10/107 and an order of their truffled potato chips. They are cooked fresh, sprinkled with paremsean and real truffle oil drizzled over the top. You won't need a steak or anything else to satisfy you....but take your cholesterol meds first.

Randy

Thanks again all, most interesting. The chips Dane and Randy refer to are freshly made as chips originally were. Saratoga chips (there is a brand today under that name I think) were the first chips, invented in a swank hotel in Saratoga Springs, NY in the 1800's. The story I read says a guest wanted his fried potatos really crisp and kept sending them back to the kitchen for improvement. The chef got the idea to slice potatos very thinly and throw them into the frier (probably partly in exasperation). The guest loved the result and a new dish was invented! Potato chips seem uniquely American. French fries and the other forms of fried spuds were known in Europe but not good old chips. In fact, chips means something different in England (or did before the onslaught of McDonalds and similar): french fries. What we call chips they call, or used to call, crisps.

British crisps are a whole other scene! They've got ketchup chips and curry chips and dill chips and lots more. Where'e the British recommendations here? Calling all SB U.K. members! Cam, are there any good chips/crisps in Australia?

Gary

Those interested in the etymology of the word chips might agree that the term (I am referring here to British chips - french fried potatos) derives from "chipped potatos". I saw this term in the 1990's on the menu of Manzi's, a London fish restaurant in Soho that began operations before World War II.

Clearly that term was on Manzi's original menu: it sounds so old-fashioned, it just had to be. And that means it goes back to the 1800's. And indeed a British chip does resemble a small rectangle, in fact, a wood chip, whence the term probably derives. The floury British potatos encourage the characteristic shape to be retained in the frier.

Those chips so the stories go came from carts in the 1800's that dispensed them in the modest quarters of London. The carts were owned by Belgians who probably spoke French (Walloons), hence the association of chips with the French. Although, the French make excellent fried potatos too, so maybe there was a more direct connection with France.

But these chips of Britain and the American french fries/freedom fries are a different animal from the good old potato chip of America!

Gary

The local cheap dive with awesome burgers serves potatoes two ways...either fresh cut fries or fresh made chips. When you order either, they grab a scrubbed potato from the bin and either plunge it through the vertical french fry cutter mounted on the wall or they take it over to the deli meat slicer and cut it wonderfully thin for chips.

It's a dump, but the burgers and chips are phenomenal.

My hobby (well, my main one of many, I guess) is driving around a lot. A whole lot of the US (and, increasingly) is becoming very homogenous. The same stores, the same restaurants, the same drinks and the same prepared foods are everywhere.

Potato chips are one of the last great regional foods. People who don't travel assume their brands are everywhere, but they aren't. Lay's is the only national brand in the US of regular chips. On the high end there are Cape Cod and Kettle, but those aren't in the regular section or in many convenience stores.

I believe the Humpty Dumpty brand is international. I don't know of any others (besides Lay's).

(Convenience stores are the key for my investigation, since stopping for gas is a regular part of the road trip, and I always check out the chip selection, even if I don't buy many.)

I am not a fan of the pale light Midwestern style. Jay's is the flagship of this, I think. There's almost no color to them. I like a bit more of Dr. Maillard's reaction in my chips.

I'm fascinated by the flavors I see. In eastern Canada I saw "All Dressed". I have no idea what that means. Some places have Dill Pickle, while others have Salt and Vinegar instead.

Here are my favorite British flavors:

Prawn

Ham and Pickle

Roast Beef and Cheddar

Lamb and Mint

In Maryland someone makes Crab, but I think it's like the Crawfish in Louisiana: it's the boil seasoning, not the critter.

All dressed in Canada usually means a hot dog with mustard, relish and onion. It is a term I recall well when growing up in Montreal. So chips all dressed would be with the flavor of those things combined.

In the kind of English-French mixture you used to hear in Montreal, one would say, "donnez-moi deux hot dogs all-dress" (I'll have two dogs all-dressed). Brings back memories!

Gary

All dressed in Canada usually means a hot dog with mustard, relish and onion.

Q: What did the Zen Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything.

Q: What did the Zen Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything.

I love it! :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I'll throw my vote in for Boulder Canyon Malt Vinegar & Sea Salt Chips.

My favorite are the Baked Lays, in particular the Sour Cream and Onion.

CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on potato chips. They said the pc was 155 yrs old and was begun in a resteraunt in Saratoga NY. A custumer complained about the potatos being too thick.

So the cook in anger sliced them super thin thinking he wouldn't like them. And I can't remember the rest, misspent youth.

The Best Chips I have ever had and I order a case now and then are from US RT 11 in Va. If you type in US RT 11 chips you will find their site. I have been getting them since about 1999 I found their factory in an old Feed Mill and sampled their chips. They have Sour Cream & Chive, Sweet Potato, Dill, Regular and many more they are out of this world and their prices to ship are not Bad. If you love good old fashion Potato Chips give these a try. Heres the web site www.rt11.com Another great chip comes from Wilder VT Mad House Munches their site is www.madhousemunchies.com these are also wonderful used to bring bags and bags home when I traveled loved their creamy french Onion ones, and Sea Salt ones!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

--------------------------------------------------

The Best Chips I have ever had and I order a case now and then are from US RT 11 in Va. If you type in US RT 11 chips you will find their site. I have been getting them since about 1999 I found their factory in an old Feed Mill and sampled their chips. They have Sour Cream & Chive, Sweet Potato, Dill, Regular and many more they are out of this world and their prices to ship are not Bad. If you love good old fashion Potato Chips give these a try. Heres the web site www.rt11.com Another great chip comes from Wilder VT Mad House Munches their site is www.madhousemunchies.com these are also wonderful used to bring bags and bags home when I traveled loved their creamy french Onion ones, and Sea Salt ones!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

Gary Have you ever had any of the Madhouse Munchie Chips from Vermont? Also you should give the US Rt 11 chips from Va a try they are out of this world!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------

I like potato chips. Cape Cod, Kettles, and Lays manage to find their way into the long term rotation. However, I also find that potato chips and bourbon do not mix well. May be it's just me but I get far more alcohol burn after eating some.

On the other hand, I find that bourbon and ice cream complement each other very well.

Will

What about corn/nacho chips? I particularly like the yellow corn Bearitos. Any other favorites?

Craig

We get an organic blue corn chip here which is great.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.