Travel Flask

Andy Traxel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I make several overnight business trips a year. Often staying at budget hotels that don't have resturants or bars attached. I'd like to take enough whiskey along so I could have a drink at the end of the day. I've seen plastic flasks at area liquor stores but have doubts about what they would do to the taste of finer whiskeys. Does anyone have experience with these? What about metal flasks?

I can't say about the plastic , but I given to think that getting them rinsed out ( Dishwashing soap) is the problem . the metal ones should not affect it in any way.

I'm very fond of my flask, which is glass in a leather case. It holds about 375 ml and has two caps, the outer one functioning as a small shot glass in a pinch. I can't tell you where to get one, because my brother got mine in Spain. I would check at a good luggage store. It's not as compact as a metal flask, probably too large to carry comfortably in a pocket, but I use it for the same purpose you described and it works great.

When I was a kit, my parents had a whole "kit" that held two bottles, four glasses, and various accessories. They weren't big drinkers, but they liked to have a cocktail before dinner. This way they could have their cocktail in the room, while we kids were doing whatever, then bundle the whole tribe off to dinner. That also you can find in a luggage store.

I have an old pewter 3 oz flask that's been thru the wars, dented and scarred, it's been everywhere, east to west. Never alters the taste. I also use the 4oz and 8oz 'shampoo' flasks from REI don't worry about the plastic interfering with the taste...mine never stays in the flask long enough to have a chance to change the flavor. (A 4 oz flask of dark Rum lets a fellow buy a can of coke at the hotel and mix a good Rum and Coke in his room)

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I keep getting stainless steel flasks for presents and they will impart a very slight metalic taste if the bourbon is left in them for a long time. I would think most folks would drink the contents of a flask within an evenings time or at the most a couple of days. I like to use a simple 200ml bourbon bottle. It cost's less than five dollars complete with bourbon! Then just rinse and reuse as needed. For week end get-aways I've found the five gallon 'jerry can' holds just the right amount.

I have an old pewter flask from Orvis with a troutfishing scene engraved on it. The problem is that the mouth is too small - hard to fill and wash - but it doesn't affect the whiskey's taste at all. The trick in rinsing is to slosh around a little of whatever you're going to fill it with after rinsing, then dump out the flask contents. Then fill it. That also works with glass 2 oz. sample bottles.

Ralph

Pat uses a flask like Chuck's....glass container covered with leather...He only uses it when he goes hunting....Deer hunting...squirrel...turkey...rabit...quail

opossum....big foot... grin.gif Ohhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhh! grin.gif

Bettye Jo

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You know Ralph that's why you just can' beat a good ol' 'jerry can'. When I was fighting the 'Cold War' in what was then known as 'West Germany' I had a BIG buxom blonde BOMBSHELL of a German girlfriend. We drank Jim Beam bourbon and had the most awesome sex. There is nothing better than a 19 year old German girl and a 20 year old American boy. Sparks for Freedom. The world is now a better place. Soooo glad I could help.

So that's why you like jeeps, Linn! Gotta have something that looks kosher with jerry cans slung all over it. Can't think of a better way to break those leaf springs than in generating "sparks for freedom"!

Ralph

On behalf of all freedom loving Americans everywhere , Thank you Linn for your tireless efforts advancing the American way of life, and the hardships you endured to defeat our enemy. Only you know the hardships you faced , and the sacrifice to perservere in battle. Thank God you were able to find an ally in the Buxom German Blonde, and that the supply line from JimBeam was never severed! wink.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Bobby! At that time the U.S. Army ran on deisel fuel; Marlboros, and Beam. As a Corporal I was making a whopping $310 a month. Smokes were 35 cents a pack and I bought Beam by the half gallon at either nine or ten dollars a jug.I don't rightly remember, but I think regular 'white label' Beam was 90 proof.

I have a glass, leather covered hip flask that belonged to grandfather. It is the perfect size (like some of the metal ones mentioned above) rather than a little too big. On one side it says "Smile O'Meter" and has a measuring opening in the leather so you can see how much you've drank. The other side says "Saturday Evening Post" and has a man leaning against a lamp post holding a flask in his hand. grin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.