Storing Whiskey Bottles in Earthquake Country

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't have a formal liquor cabinet, so I store my whiskey stash (about 60-70 bottles and constantly growing) wherever I can find space. Most of them end up on the floor of my bedroom closet, but overflow ends up in cabinets throughout the house. My family has taken to complaining that they are tired of opening what used to be, say, a jewelry cabinet and finding whiskey.

I was thinking of investing in a nice liquor cabinet which would provide both easy access and a nice display, and had even picked out a place for it, but after this week's tremor, I had visions of broken bottles and lost treasures. I started to figure that maybe the closet floor wasn't such a bad place after all.

So, for you Californians (or others living in quake prone lands), how do you store your whiskey?

Not being originally from this area, earthquakes are always in the front or back of my mind. And when it comes to whiskey storage--WAY UP FRONT!

I certainly don't have any special system. I do have a cabinet/wet bar for storage of un/opened bottles. It's big enough to house two filled cardboard case boxes. In my closet, same thing.

Bottom line for me is:keep everything low, and minimize bottles touching one another.

Good luck.

Hope this doesn't sound too ridiculous. As a fisherman I used to used some Uncle Josh pork rinds and such when I fished. They came in small bottles. To keep the bottles from moving around in my tackle box, I used velcro. Worked like a charm. Don't know how feasible it would be for a bar/liquor cabinet. The only drawbacks would be semi-permanent placement of bottles and maybe some slight damage to the wood surface. Might be worth a try though. Just trying to help. Joe

Hope this doesn't sound too ridiculous. As a fisherman I used to used some Uncle Josh pork rinds and such when I fished. They came in small bottles. To keep the bottles from moving around in my tackle box, I used velcro. Worked like a charm. Don't know how feasible it would be for a bar/liquor cabinet. The only drawbacks would be semi-permanent placement of bottles and maybe some slight damage to the wood surface. Might be worth a try though. Just trying to help. Joe

That's actually quite a great suggestion. The problem is, with my dozens and dozens of bottles, that means a lot of velcro not to mention a lot of effort to pull out a bottle when I want a pour!

The velcro I got here comes in rolls. You just cut off what you need. For the small bottles I only needed about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch. For bourbon bottles 1 or 2 inches would probably do the trick. Joe

This weeks 5.6 was within 15 miles of me, and my bottles not only survived but moved just ever so slightly. Some glassware did not make it. By pure chance i was standing right in front of the bar and although I did leave for some safer ground, the thought of all of that liquid wasted has made me revisit how they are currently stored.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.