BOTM, 8/08: Vintage Bourbon 17yo

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had the pleasure of trying this months BOTM at a trendy New York bottle shop with Cliff and my wife Jen on a sunny Sunday afternoon back in April.

It aroused enough interest that I purchased a bottle whilst in Bardstown and carried it back to Australia to revisit at a later date. What better way to enjoy it and discuss its merits with my fellow SB'ers than as this months BOTM.

What do you think of the youngest Vintage bottle from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers?

:893drillsergeant-th Sound off:893drillsergeant-th

Great choice Cam! I also had the pleasure of trying it for the first time in April (different location) and since the store owner in Lexington KY that ordered it for me had not tried it either, we opened a bottle right in the store. There were 5 of us that sampled it and all were very impressed with this pour, it's well rounded with a great balance of everything good. I may have to open a new bottle tonight!

Cheers!

Tony

This is a fun bourbon. It has the most "black tea" taste to it of any bourbon that I have had.

My wife is a big tea drinker, so I have been working into bourbon through this one..

It has a great taste profile that ranges through tea and earth to milk to dark chocolate.

Great bourbon for the price that I always keep on the shelf..

I had a bottle of this a year or so ago.

I remember that I liked it a lot and I would recommend it.

It is easily one of KBD's best.

This inspired me to go back and retaste a bottle that's been open for a year or so.

My impressions are the same as they were then: too much char and oak for my tastes.

This inspired me to go back and retaste a bottle that's been open for a year or so.

My impressions are the same as they were then: too much char and oak for my tastes.

Of the three that I have had, they have all been difrent, with the second having more char and oak than the other. ALl had a good black tea taste to them though....

Such are the vagaries of these kind of bottlings. Mine could be a less than optimal one.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one I've never had. In general, I just don't see much of the Vintage products around. I can say, that I have been generally impressed with KBD's picks on most of their offerings. I did see a bottle of the 17 yr. this week, however, but didn't pick it up. I think it was in the mid $70 range. How does that price stack up with what ya'll see?

JOE

This is one I've never had. In general, I just don't see much of the Vintage products around. I can say, that I have been generally impressed with KBD's picks on most of their offerings. I did see a bottle of the 17 yr. this week, however, but didn't pick it up. I think it was in the mid $70 range. How does that price stack up with what ya'll see?

JOE

Mid-$40s last I looked in Louisville

Picked up a case at Sampler time in April for $36 a bottle :bigeyes:! I may want to check into another next time I'm down.

Went through a bottle of this with my buddy quite a while back and to me every time I sampled from it I got thin, one dimensional almost flavorless bourbon. For 17 years old it didn't show me much.

For the $50 or just under that I've always seen it at I'd spend that money elsewhere personally... Like one a 11, 14 or 16 year Black Maple Hill if you can find it which has never disappointed me.

Went through a bottle of this with my buddy quite a while back and to me every time I sampled from it I got thin, one dimensional almost flavorless bourbon. For 17 years old it didn't show me much.

For the $50 or just under that I've always seen it at I'd spend that money elsewhere personally... Like one a 11, 14 or 16 year Black Maple Hill if you can find it which has never disappointed me.

Wow, that seems like an off bottle to me. The ones I have had have been full of tea, tobacco, chocolate and rye. Not supper deep with a change in the taste, but those were there and they we very nice to play with.

I do aggree that $50 is a lot for this bottle... I would rather see it at $35-40, but I keep a bottle around. It is also the only bottle I have my wife likes.

From a comparative cost standpoint, I'm glad I didn't drop the $70 on the bottle I saw. In the $40 range, I'd take my chances. Thanks, fellas.

JOE

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!