A new Rye from Beam?

Dr. François
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not trying to be defensive on behalf of Beam here, I'm generally annoyed by the way they do things, but to what extent was Booker's or Knob Creek's packaging a break from tradition? Clearly both were designed to appeal to a sense of tradition: sturdy, workmanlike on the KC end especially, but there weren't other bourbons packaged like this. Our dusty hunting (and, for some members, memory) has proven that most American mainline whiskey bottled in the late 1980s was in standard cylindrical bottles with shoulders, and the only real differences among them were tiny flourishes like the rye embossed on the Charter bottles. The labels were generally not particularly artistic in their approach (though there's a kitschy element to many of the ND labels). I think Beam might see here that premium American whiskey packaging lately has been almost exclusively focused on fetishizing early twentieth century Americana (most prominently seen in the Sazerac Jr. bottle) and that there's another way to take things: the packaging looks a lot like recently introduced high-end spirits and liqueurs in a variety of categories, and nothing like any whiskey bottle on the market. I don't love it, but it's certainly going to distinguish itself immediately from everything else in proximity to it on the shelf.

Regards,

Not trying to be defensive on behalf of Beam here, I'm generally annoyed by the way they do things, but to what extent was Booker's or Knob Creek's packaging a break from tradition? Clearly both were designed to appeal to a sense of tradition: sturdy, workmanlike on the KC end especially, but there weren't other bourbons packaged like this. Our dusty hunting (and, for some members, memory) has proven that most American mainline whiskey bottled in the late 1980s was in standard cylindrical bottles with shoulders, and the only real differences among them were tiny flourishes like the rye embossed on the Charter bottles. The labels were generally not particularly artistic in their approach (though there's a kitschy element to many of the ND labels). I think Beam might see here that premium American whiskey packaging lately has been almost exclusively focused on fetishizing early twentieth century Americana (most prominently seen in the Sazerac Jr. bottle) and that there's another way to take things: the packaging looks a lot like recently introduced high-end spirits and liqueurs in a variety of categories, and nothing like any whiskey bottle on the market. I don't love it, but it's certainly going to distinguish itself immediately from everything else in proximity to it on the shelf.

Regards,

I agree, Tim. I think Beam, is trying to appeal to a whole different demo, than that which is buying rye currently. Maybe, going after a younger and more image conscious consumer? One, who thinks bourbon and rye are still their dad's drink, and not "cool" to order in a bar or have on their home bar. The packaging and name of this rye screams 21st century cool, to me at least. I suppose Beam thinks that the current 21-34 demo is ready to move on to brown liquors, but is still concerned with how they look ordering it. I would foresee commercials or print ads with slick, sophisticated looking, twentysomething's at a cool bar ordering "ri1's on the rocks" or "ri1 and some..."cool mixer". Kinda like the Ammoreto diSorono commercials. I think rye is the right product to go with this. A bourbon promoted like this would be more difficult. Overcoming, the preconceived notions of it would prove more difficult. Just saying "rye", sounds "lighter" and more "refreshing"...more today.

In addition, the regular whiskey drinker is going to notice this bottle on the liquor store shelf. He's going to think, hey, I haven't heard of rye in years. This looks pretty cool. Nice bottle. Looks good enough to try.

This package is going to get attention. I like their idea. I think they have a shot at doing something with this. I'm also sure the Beam execs are feeling a whole lot better, knowing that Smokinjoe likes their idea...:rolleyes: I don't suspect their tripping over each other to get me on the phone for more analysis of their product launches.:D

Cheers!

JOE

the packaging looks a lot like recently introduced high-end spirits and liqueurs in a variety of categories
The packaging and name of this rye screams 21st century cool, to me at least. I suppose Beam thinks that the current 21-34 demo is ready to move on to brown liquors, but is still concerned with how they look ordering it. I would foresee commercials or print ads with slick, sophisticated looking, twentysomething's at a cool bar ordering "ri1's on the rocks" or "ri1 and some..."cool mixer". Kinda like the Ammoreto diSorono commercials. I think rye is the right product to go with this. A bourbon promoted like this would be more difficult. Overcoming, the preconceived notions of it would prove more difficult. Just saying "rye", sounds "lighter" and more "refreshing"...more today.

There's no question the packaging targets a certain demographic, and those who have DH Krahn, Skyy 90 and Rubi Rey sitting on their shelf would surely prefer they be joined by a bottle of (rī)1 than of Saz Jr.

I also agree that rye is less hindered by the "good ol' boy" baggage that bourbon drags with it (the line from the Don McLean song notwithstanding).

Beyond that I think it's also an attempt to take advantage of the current renaissance in mixed drinks. Rye is a great mixing whiskey, and the zeitgeist may be just right for this product and its packaging. A few months ago, the local paper's "Entertainment" section had an article on two new trendy bars in town. Both featured the Sazerac as signature cocktails. Since then the one local store that sells Ritt BiB has had trouble keeping it in stock.

After getting chased indoors by a down pour of rain, I decided to check the Ohio liquor control department's website and to my amazement, there was a listed price for (ri)1: it varies from 48.35 to 49.95 depending on location. Now Ohio has in the past jacked up prices on stuff that is common as dirt in other areas, but I can't imagine this brand being overpriced by 20.00 to 25.00 vs. those other areas. With no age statement, a fancy bottle and only a 6% increase in proof over JB and OO rye, I can hardly wait to run out and buy a bottle. NOT!

Thomas

Yep. Once the whiskey is out of the bottle and in your glass, taste is 100% of the experience.

I say amen to that Brad and my sole comment on the package is that I prefer screw cap instead of natural cork.

Leif

I'm not a fan of "hip" packaging. The reason I haven't purchased any Lucid Absinthe is that I want a bottle that looks like it's from the 19th century. You know what I mean. OK, and I don't care much for anise-flavored stuff. And the price is a little high. But the hip packaging prevents me from even considering it.

It's basically whiskey in a vodka bottle. We will see what we will see. I have no reason to believe Beam makes more than one straight rye, so the only difference between this and their Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt will be age and barrel selection. Let's taste it and see what they've come up with.

I would be surprised at a $40+ prices, as the sweet spot in the segment seems to be $25 to $29, but if they are targeting the drinkers of $40 vodkas, then a $40 price tag makes sense.

At $40 a bottle I will seek it out a bar before buying and continue drinking Saz Jr and Rittenhouse.

It's basically whiskey in a vodka bottle. We will see what we will see. I have no reason to believe Beam makes more than one straight rye, so the only difference between this and their Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt will be age and barrel selection. Let's taste it and see what they've come up with.

I would be surprised at a $40+ prices, as the sweet spot in the segment seems to be $25 to $29, but if they are targeting the drinkers of $40 vodkas, then a $40 price tag makes sense.

I've been told that for luxury goods there is a market segment so perverse (from an economic standpoint) that they will buy the more expensive of two similar items, just to show they can. They represent no more than a tiny blip at the far reaches of the demand curve if they exist at all. I've never actually met such a person, but s/he might be attracted to a $40+ rye ordinaire in a trendy package. Could it be that the marketing staff at Beam knows something we don't? :confused:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

How do we know that it is "rye ordinaire"? It might be good enough to justify the price. We'll see.

Joe :usflag:

Since it's on the September price list for Ohio, it looks like it will be out and about before KBF. I bet that a bottle of it will find its way to the Gazebo.

The high end vodka market is full of people who buy based on price and image, especially by the drink. Whatever subtle differences exist aren't going to survive in a cosmopolitan.

Someone posted within the past year a link to an article in which drinkers of high end vodka did a blind tasting and, in general, didn't like their "favorites".

Rye is hot stuff now. I bet there are a lot of people out there who would spend big money on fancy rye whiskey not for the taste.

How do we know that it is "rye ordinaire"? It might be good enough to justify the price. We'll see.

Agreed. Heck, I'd buy OO at 92 proof: I like its flavor profile; of course I'd prefer it a bit older, I think, but I assume this will be. Regardless, I guess Beam can't satisfy people, and to some extent skepticism is justified, but given how rarely Beam introduces new products, I'd be surprised if this was anything but good. The price, well, I rarely buy any $40 American whiskey, but it may not be that high when it hits the market.

Regards,

I look forward to trying it. Will it be that Beam Rye is to new "Ri" as JB White is to JB Black? or Knob Creek? or Bakers? It sounds like a winner in any case. I hope that made sense.

I spent some time with Fred Noe this afternoon (he's in Chicago). He said it's a superpremium rye that's a little older, and a little higher proof, than their standard rye and it might be held up because they're having some trouble with the glass.

It's always trouble with the glass.

I spent some time with Fred Noe this afternoon (he's in Chicago). He said it's a superpremium rye that's a little older, and a little higher proof, than their standard rye and it might be held up because they're having some trouble with the glass.

It's always trouble with the glass.

Seems to be a common issue...

Is that trouble getting the glass in or trouble with the line running the bottles on the line?

Seems to be a common issue...

Is that trouble getting the glass in or trouble with the line running the bottles on the line?

Don't know. Could be either or both.

• 1 month later...

Beam must have rectified the glass issue with ri 1. I saw some on the shelf Thursday at one of our local liquor stores. It sells for 48.50 a bottle. Ouch! I didn't bother to get any!

Thomas

$48.50??????????????????????:eek: :eek:

:shocked: :shocked:

:skep: :skep:

Why would I want to pay $48.50 for a rye whiskey that is trying to market itself as not being a rye whiskey???

If you look at the multi-page tag that hangs around the bottle, it's definitely marketed as a rye. The funny part to me is that it doesn't mention Beam or Beam Global at all on the neck tag or on the bottle. Also, the producer is listed as being in Illinois and the product is labeled as a Kentucky Straight Rye.

The color looks delicious, but I'm not going to drop 50 bucks on a good looking bottle of hooch.

$48.50??????????????????????:eek: :eek:

And that's Ohio prices, Greg. Word out here is that it's running for 60 CLAMS at BevMo.

I was at BevMo last week and it bottle was not there. In typical BevMo fashion they had no idea what I was talking about.

Before I spend that money I will have to taste it. Hopefuly someone in town will see fit to put it behind their bar and target all of the new Rye drinkers that this hooch is supposed to attract. It is going to have to be very good to make me spend Handy type money on it.

Especially when Saz Jr is around.

I'm dropping my money to the tune about 45 bucks. I just want to give it a try. The fact that the Beam name is nowhere in sight signals the fact that they are going for the Russell's Reserve Rye consumer. Folks who are too good for regular Wild Turkey or Jim Beam. Of course, the RRR is at the 30 buck mark which is a lot more attractive than 45. Or 60! I don't figure this stuff is going to be jumping off the shelves. Save your money for the clearance special.

-Mike

Mike,

Let us know what you think of it. I went on the block earlier when I said that we can't condemn it before we even try it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.