Seagram 7 Crown

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here is an update on this product, tasted after some months "rest" in a bottle I bought over the summer: It has a marked rye whiskey flavor - spicy and bready with some old flowers notes, but is well balanced with excellent drinkability.

The people who put this together know exactly what they are doing, trust me.

Those who enjoy straight rye whiskey are missing out if this is not in your cellar.

Gary

The people who put this together know exactly what they are doing, trust me.

Those who enjoy straight rye whiskey are missing out if this is not in your cellar.

Then I shall endeavor to buy some. I have been contemplating it for some time - I even looked at it closely this past Saturday.

Tim

My wife is a devoted fan of Crown Royal. In fact, I have been unsuccessful in getting her to switch to any other whisk(e)y for 20 years. During hard times we always used poor man's Crown Royal which was, you guessed it, Seagram's 7 Crown. I thought it tasted remarkably similar and it was a lot easier on the budget. I have a bottle of the Seagram's VO Gold 8 year old sitting on the shelf totally unmolested for several years. I also have noted that Crown Royal Reserve has been very tasty lately. I wonder if they have made some changes in the blend that have really brought out the rye taste while keeping to the mellowing down of the rye by blending with GNS.

I think its time for me to go get another bottle of the poor man's crown royal and let the wife know that our retirement fund is gone and the Seagrams 7 is all we have left.

Cheers!

Quite honestly, I'd take 7 Crown over any iteration of Crown Royal because 7 Crown has more straight whiskey - in particular, rye - character than CR in my opinion. The Special Reserve of CR is good but it is not inexpensive. 7 Crown is well worth its price and then some.

Gary

Quite honestly, I'd take 7 Crown over any iteration of Crown Royal because 7 Crown has more straight whiskey - in particular, rye - character than CR in my opinion. The Special Reserve of CR is good but it is not inexpensive. 7 Crown is well worth its price and then some.

Gary

Very sensible good advice. After my last post I decided to open the Seagram's VO and give it a go. It started out a little too astringent for my taste and the rye I was hoping for was a little weak. After I let it breath for a while it softened up and the rye came out. I believe the base spirit over powered the whisky in this bottle but it has sat on the shelf for a long time. I'll let it settle and try it again later.

This thread has peaked my interest in going back to Seagram's 7. It is, in fact, much less expensive than CR and if it taste better then there shouldn't be any reason, in these hard times, not to make it a regular pour.

Thanx!

Well, last night I had again a small amount of Seagram 7 Crown. My opinion is only heightened. It is much better I think than VO and its straight rye character much more evident. This rye character at times reminds me of the rye hit in the Beam bourbons but the blending presents it in the best possible way. It reminds me too of the Russell's Reserve rye except less sweet and with a better overall flavor. The balance is perfectly calibrated for neat sampling (even though most buyers won't drink it that way I know). If I am out to lunch on this one so be it but I don't think so and I'd be interested in peoples' reactions once they taste it. To me it is a city cousin of the country rye whiskey family.

A 1980 bottle in a Florida relation's house is similar to the current one. In the 1990's I do not remember it being as good but I think it has returned to form. If I am not mistaken, Jim Murray stated in a book a couple of years ago that the whisky had lost some form since the time I am referring to. I think maybe his entreaty was heard. If anything the current issue is better than the 1980 one, more subtle with good rye character but lots else happening. Try it in a snifter.

Gary

I haven't tried Seagram's 7 recently, but I remember it as having a slightly salty taste. Anyone else experience this?

Gary,

You've got me to thinking I might buy my first bottle of American blended whiskey in more than 15 years. Or at least try it in a bar. I remember drinking a few seven and seven's many years ago. I girl I briefly dated drank them. I remember she would have a wedge of lime added to the drink, just like a gin and tonic, Is that standard, or a standard variation. I think I will re-sample it both ways, neat and mixed, perhaps with ginger ale. I don't like 7 Up any more. They changed the formula and it has too much lemon. Mixed, heavy on the whiskey and light on the soda, it may make a nice summertime break from Powers or Jamesons on the rocks with the added splash of water as I'm won't to do.

I think all the ways you suggest would be good Brad except perhaps not with lime juice (or use just a little).

I tasted it last night again and it does have a slight saline-like edge. I am sure no salt is added and this is an effect of the rye base whisky or the wood the components or some of them are aged in. Sometimes oak can have a "crisp" taste that can seem salty. Occasionally we see olives used as a simile to describe the taste of some whisky.

I'd try it neat of occasion or with some ice and soda water or as you say a pop that is not too assertive in taste.

Gary

I haven't tried Seagram's 7 recently, but I remember it as having a slightly salty taste. Anyone else experience this?

I honestly haven't heard anyone describe a salty taste in Canadian blended whisky until now. But, I have certainly experienced it in scotch whisky. I've never read or heard of the source of the salty taste but the reuse of barrels sourced from other locations might expose the whisky to whatever the wood has absorbed during its lifetime. I actually don't know if Canadian distillers reuse barrels or like American bourbon, must use a new barrel for aging. Gillman's explanation makes the most sense to me.

I certainly hope its not from the chemicals used to clean the mash tanks:shocked:

I should perhaps add that it is my understanding that flavorings of certain kinds can be added to American (blended) whisky. I don't know what these are but would think it unlikely salt is added. In Canada, as I read the rules this would not be permitted for Canadian whisky. Only a wine or a spirit or caramel may be added in Canada. There are resemblances in style between American and Canadian whisky but I find Seagram 7 different from the Canadian norm and more emphatic than most Canadian whiskies I'm familiar with.

Gary

... In Canada, as I read the rules this would not be permitted for Canadian whisky. Only a wine or a spirit or caramel may be added in Canada.

Brad, it is possible that a wine for this purpose can include one made from oranges, and perhaps an orange wine is used to flavor some whiskeys here. Grapes of course are a fruit and a wine can be made from other fruits (e.g., rhubarb wine and so forth), so perhaps this is done. I'll check the legal definition when I have a minute and report back.

Gary

Dan, Seagram 7 Crown is not a Canadian whisky.

Gary

Ack! Kack! Sorry, I was just doing my village idiot routine again. I was unable to process all of the very clear clues through my one brain cell not consumed by body functions. Thanx for getting me out of the ditch and back on my way.

I have, for my entire adult life, believed that Seagram's 7 was Canadian blended whisky. I thought it was of the same range as Seagram's VO and Crown Royal. I did learn Diageo owns it. Who distills, ages, and bottles it?

It's an error easy to make and I'm sure many people consider the brand Canadian whisky but it is not. It was always an American whisky in style and produced in America, even when owned by the Canadian-based Seagram company (which has since been broken up). Diageo owns the brand today and the label refers to a Connecticut address (Norfolk) but I am not sure if any production is done there. I believe the straight whiskey components at least were made at Seagram's plant formerly owned in Lawrenceburg, Indiana and perhaps still are sourced there from the company (Angostura) which now owns it. 7 Crown is a ong established quality brand of American blended whisky. Canadian and American blended whiskey present some similarities but I find American whiskey in general different and more variable in quality. Some has a predominant taste of GNS, but some is much better in quality and stresses the straight whiskey element, like 7 Crown and the Barton blends. Each seems to have a "house" or proprietary flavor whereas Canadian whisky in general seems more uniform in taste to me.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Gary, I finally bought a bottle of 7 today. I haven't tried it yet, maybe this evening. My plan is to taste it straight first, then try a Manhattan cocktail. More, later.

Tim

Gary, I finally bought a bottle of 7 today. I haven't tried it yet, maybe this evening. My plan is to taste it straight first, then try a Manhattan cocktail. More, later.

Tim

looking forward to the notes. i almost made the leap. it's not an expensive experiment at all!

looking forward to the notes. i almost made the leap. it's not an expensive experiment at all!

But, not very cheap in Alabama. In fact, the distributor had set up a display with the bottles marked at $11.99. But at the cash register, it rang up at $12.99. I complained. The cashier went and removed the distributor's price tag. I had to pay the full price, plus tax. :smiley_acbt:

Not too bad compared to top flight straight whiskies, but that is not what it is.

Tim

Well, I too look forward to your notes, Tim.

Retasting recently I was struck by the big rye notes - and its balance.

Gary

Ok, I just tasted the Seagram's 7 Crown, straight. Based on Gary's recommendations, I already had high expectations. They were exceeded. :yum: I cannot imagine a relatively inexpensive blend having such character of flavor. The flavors are, admittedly, very mild, but still very pleasant. As I have no experience with straight rye whiskey, I cannot provide any insight on that comparison. I detected a faint quality of good bourbon flavor, though.

I am certain that this can easily become my cocktail and other drink mixing whiskey of choice. Even the milder bourbons that I have used in the past easily overwhelm a drink with bourbon flavor. Seagram's 7 could never do that. I am sorry I have missed out on it for so long. I last remember having it in my early college years, probably 1970 or 71.

Tim

But, not very cheap in Alabama. In fact, the distributor had set up a display with the bottles marked at $11.99. But at the cash register, it rang up at $12.99. I complained. The cashier went and removed the distributor's price tag. I had to pay the full price, plus tax. :smiley_acbt:

Not too bad compared to top flight straight whiskies, but that is not what it is.

Tim

They should have honored the sticker price.

Incidentally, I have yet to pick up a bottle. I have been spending my booze money on tequila and wine lately. Although I have ordered a 7 & 7 at a restaurant while waiting for a table. Some, but not much, of the rye character did come through. Pleasant enough for a whiskey/soda.

Delighted to read this, thanks for your comments, Tim. (I do feel too it drinks nicely on its own, maybe with a cube of ice).

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.