No Carb BBQ Sauce Suggestions

MJL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I have been a fairly good job of controlling my diabetes by way of controlling my carbohydrate intake. I am working on some recipes for a no or low carb BBQ sauce based in either Bourbon or Apple Cider Vinegar. So far I have developed the following sauce:

Apple Cider Vinegar

Ground Ginger

Red Pepper Flakes

Cumin

Smoked Paprika

Black Pepper

Cayenne Pepper

Splenda

Soy Sauce

Bourbon

I have not included amounts as I am still playing with this. I mixed up a batch, minus the Bourbon. I heated up the spices in the microwave to activate their essential oils and then steeped them in about 2 1/2 cups of vinegar on the stove until I achieved a low boil. I then poured the mixture into an old, empty Wild Turkey Russel Reserve 10 year 90 proof bottle. This left about 1/8 of the bottle free and I poured in that amount of Henry McKenna and am now allowing this mix to cool. I would like to make a thicker mix but do not want to add ingredients that will increase the carb content. Has anyone made a low or no carb vinegar/Bourbon based BBQ sauce before? Any suggestions for thickeners?

I did low carb and lost quite a bit of weight several years ago. Thickening agents are always a problem when low-carbing. Have you tried xanthan gum.

Not the most attractive of solutions but I used okra for a thickener is some things.

The other alternative is to do a dry rub instead.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/ribs/a/aa091300a.htm

"Mopping: One trick to adding moisture to Memphis style ribs is to apply a mop. A mop is a thin sauce that "mopped" on meats as they cook. A great way to make up the perfect mop for your Memphis ribs is to take your dry rub and add water and maybe a little ketchup (if you want). Make the mop thin and runny and apply it to the ribs every 30 minutes to an hour while they smoke."

The other alternative is to do a dry rub instead.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/ribs/a/aa091300a.htm

"Mopping: One trick to adding moisture to Memphis style ribs is to apply a mop. A mop is a thin sauce that "mopped" on meats as they cook. A great way to make up the perfect mop for your Memphis ribs is to take your dry rub and add water and maybe a little ketchup (if you want). Make the mop thin and runny and apply it to the ribs every 30 minutes to an hour while they smoke."

Dry rubs are awesome. The problem is that most use some form of sugar to get the spices to adhere during the cooking cycle. Hell, that brown sugar is where the goodness is at in Memphis dry rubbed ribs. There are so many GREAT BBQ places in Memphis that I could die an Elvis-death a thousand times over there if I spent too much time in that town. My personal favorite is Central BBQ. Oh man! Anyway, I am looking more for a sauce that is thicker than what I came up with but still maintains it no-carb characteristic.

I did low carb and lost quite a bit of weight several years ago. Thickening agents are always a problem when low-carbing. Have you tried xanthan gum.

Not the most attractive of solutions but I used okra for a thickener is some things.

Hey as a Southroner I am more than aquainted with Okra and yeah, it works well as a thickner in my slow cooker soups and stews. My daughter has come to like it as well....must be that gumbo in the blood. Please tell me more about xanthan gum. How is it used and where do you obtain it?

The problem with gelatin is that the heat would break it down.

I'm from Georgia. We don't like our sauces thick. Sauce is a condiment served with the pork after it is cut or chopped.

I'd add some mustard. It tastes good and has lecithin, which is good for stabilizing emulsions if you want to add some oil.

Somewhere I've got a URL for a place that sells cooking chemicals, for those who want to play El Bulli at home. I'll see if I can dig it up. It's probably on the other computer. Can you imagine a side of bourbon foam?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.