Yuengling Traditional Lager

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had my first bottle of this...my brother in-law's sister gave him a case. It was a nice beer...very easy drinking....a little lighter than I anticipated...but certainly a good Lager style beer. I would probably favor some of their other expressions....Black&Tan, Porter, and Premium as I favor a more full bodied beer.

I would probably favor some of their other expressions....Black&Tan, Porter, and Premium as I favor a more full bodied beer.

The "Yuengling Premium" is a typical US style "light lager" beer and predates the "Traditional Lager" by decades ("Trad. Lager" only came out in the mid-1980's). It certainly isn't fuller bodied than YTL.

The Black & Tan is merely a blend of the Porter and the Premium (60/40 IIRC) so you're better of trying the Porter straight and deciding if you want or need to thin it with a US adjunct lager beer.

Yuengling Porter is a "Pennsylvania Porter" (just about the only one left, save for Stegmaier, tho' the Steg is a totally different beer than it was in it's heyday when it had licorice as an ingredient)- bottom fermented unlike "true" ale yeast porters. If your like or expect a craft-brewed sort of porter, the Yuengling might be a bit of a disappointment. On it's own, it's a nice beer and was once a real bargain, like all the Yuengling beers.

The "original" mixed beer from Yuengling, done at the taps in it's home region was a Half and Half made with their Porter and their Lord Chesterfield Ale- it was a much nicer mix than the current B&T, IMO, with the hoppy ale playing off nicely with the dark richness of the porter. Sadly, the current Chesterfield seems "dumbed down", nicely bitter but lacking a nice hop nose and aftertaste it once had. The beer's been neglected by the brewery in recent years tho' they recently released it in kegs again. It is really a beer one should drink as fresh as possible, and if it's been exposed to light (green bottle)- forget it. It was a nice draught beer find in the pre-craft era.

• 1 month later...

I go way back with Yuengling. About 28 years ago a carload of us who enjoyed the beer drove up to Pottsville to see if the place had a tour. That was in the sleepy old days when brewery was owned by the father of the current Yuengling who's transformed the business into just about the largest American-owned brewer of all. Unfortunately we showed up on a Friday which was the only day of the week they didn't have a tour.

Fortunately, though, old Dick Yuengling saw us disappointed college types and strode out of his back office and offered to lead us on a personal tour. And for the next three hours that's just what we did - he took us through every nook and cranny, and we ended up at the brewery rathskeller where we talked beer and history for another two hours. Basically, the owner of the brewery took his whole day off for us!

The next year, of course, we went back, careful to schedule our visit on a day we knew we'd have an official tour. But Dick Yuengling saw and remembered us, and dismissed the tour guide and instead we did it all over again - a personal tour by the brewery owner! I remember that year we also hit a few of the downtown Pottsville taverns, sampling the fresh Yuengling brews in their natural environment. I'm not sure how we made it home, come to think of it.

The following year we went back, but by that time old Dick Yuengling was gone; he had sold the business to his son and retired. I heard he wasn't doing too well, and died a couple of years later. I've never met the current owner, and he seems like a good guy, but I'll never forget the old man.

This was, of course, years before "Traditional Lager" and the Yuengling sales boom. If you want to sample the same beer we quaffed with Mr. Yuengling all those years ago, go for the Yuengling Premium. Same as it ever was, this is the classic Pennsy local beer. Chesterfield on tap (when you could find it) is also a classic product. I'm not too much of a fan of the Porter, but 28 years ago it may have been the novelty item that kept them remembered and in business.

Dave, back then they had another lager that's now long gone - Bavarian Type. It was originally the signature product of Yuengling's local rival, the Mt. Carbon Brewing Company. It was probably just Yuengling Premium in a different can, but I remember picking up a case of it. I haven't seen it since.

I remember old Dick Yuengling very well. Went up there quite often in the old days. In those days they always had a big spread on the bar. Bologna, cheeses, red beet eggs, chips, pretzels. and everything else. Old Dick used to say " All those who want to see how beer is made, follow my son and he will give you a great tour. The rest of you, who know how beer is made, can just stay here in the bar and drink with me. I always stayed in the bar, heard great stories from Old Dick and had my fill of food and beer. I really miss those days.

Joe :usflag:

when i lived in mississippi, i always brought back a case of something Yuengling!

i think the Traditional Lager is my almost everyday pour. for the value, it blows away all the macro brews out there: bud, coors....

anyways, i think on tap, it is better, but i prefer the bottle over the can anyday. the chesterfield ale, too, is very good!

I fully agree.

Nice recollections, there, Joe. But Jess is right about Lord Chesterfield - too long in the green bottle and it skunks, try to get it fresh or on draft.

One time I put some fresh Chesties in a cooler and brought them with us to a B&B we stayed at in the Finger Lakes. This place was near Penn Yann (this term is derived from Pennsylvania Yankee, by the way). As I recall it, the husband had just mowed the lawn and I offered him a Chestie, this in high August, and I recall his gratitude as the iced fresh flowery beer went down. He was a physician in Elmira, and showed interest in my description of the brewery's products and its history.

Gary

Would just love getting a hold of a Keg of this. Everytime I get back to Philadelphia I relish finding this all over, wherever I go. Wife likes it way too much.

I remember old Dick Yuengling very well. Went up there quite often in the old days. In those days they always had a big spread on the bar. Bologna, cheeses, red beet eggs, chips, pretzels. and everything else.

Hey Joe, Funny, this sounds very much like the wonderful lunch you set out for me at your place this summer! Ahhh! I still think about the Sweet Bologna and those damn red beet eggs (YUMMY)!! My cousin had her baby a couple weeks ago so there might be another trip this summer!

I'm bringing a cooler and the truck! Yuengling's and Bologna coming home with me this time!

Thanks again!

Tony

Hey Joe, Funny, this sounds very much like the wonderful lunch you set out for me at your place this summer! Ahhh! I still think about the Sweet Bologna and those damn red beet eggs (YUMMY)!! My cousin had her baby a couple weeks ago so there might be another trip this summer!

Tony

C'mon down Tony and we'll do it again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.