Daniel Stewart

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I am so out of my league here at this site but bare with me as I am new to Bourbon. Anyone here know of Daniel Stewart 12 year (Daniel Stewart Distillery). I have a cigar bar in Tokyo and I swear that this is the best (although many are great) Bourbon to enjoy with a cigar. The Aroma is a pwerful sweetness with HUGE carmel overtones. It's first tastes are also sweet then the proof of the Bourbon kicks in (107 proof). A solid spicyness along with an alcoholic carmelness provides for a long finish. Every customer in my bar (Japanese and non) is on this stuff. I've sold 8 bottles of this stuff in 2 months (4 just by the bottle!!). Tried it on the rocks once though and it tuned into a carmel sundae...yuck. Anyway is this another only for export Bourbon (Old St. Nicks) or is it available in the states? Thanks again to everyone!!!

Matt:

> Anyone here know of Daniel Stewart 12 year (Daniel Stewart Distillery).

I was about to ask if there was any indication of a distiller on the bottle, then I read further and found this:

> It's first tastes are also sweet then the proof of the Bourbon kicks in (107

> proof).

107 proof, huh? If that's not Weller whiskey then I'm Bette Midler. I'll bet if you look you'll see the word "Lawrenceburg" somewhere on that bottle. 12 YO, huh? Sounds intriguing to say the least. Julian, any clarification on this one?

Stotz

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Dear Bette,

107 is a not all that uncommon a proof for bourbon. Besides my favorite Weller Antique, Julian Van Winkle's fine 15-year-old product is also 107-proof. As is Baker's. And Ancient Age's Barrel 107 (recently retired, I'm afraid). And so's the glass of genuine Old Barrel Brand, made by Heaven Hill (their name is actually on the label of this one!) which I'm drinking right now. The finest bourbon whiskey I've ever tasted, the product in the black bottle that bore Elmer T. Lee's name before the 90-proof single barrel and put Blanton's to shame, was also 107 proof. (I wonder whatever happened that whiskey. It didn't just vanish. 12 years old would be about right. I don't suppose it could have found its way to Japan, could it?)

P.S. - Loved ya in "Ruthless People". Just remember, you gotta have friends!

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Old St. Nick appears to have existed long enough for me to have run across an image of the label somewhere in my wanderings. I've attached it to this message. It's pretty low-res, though, and you can only barely make out the name (and nothing of the lines that say what distillery). It does have a figure on it that could be interpreted as Father Christmas. I don't think the label is really all that antique though; it looks more like it was designed to have an "old-time" look, like Noah's Mill or Corner Creek. I kinda think it may be Heaven Hill, because they do a lot of that kind of custom bottling. I know that they bottle David Stewart bourbon, but I've never seen it. Gary & Mardie Regan mention it in their Bourbon Companion book, but the one they describe is rather weak and characterless ("kitchen whiskey" was their verdict) and only 80 proof (40%), not at all like the 12- or 17-year-olds that Matt says are available in Japan.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

post-2-14489811026605_thumb.gif

John:

> 107 is a not all that uncommon a proof for bourbon.

Whew, guess not. Forgot all about Baker's and AA Barrel 107, two I like quite a bit. Maybe too much, considering this memory lapse of mine.

> (I wonder whatever happened that whiskey. It didn't just vanish. 12 years old

> would be about right. I don't suppose it could have found its way to Japan,

> could it?)

Good question. Maybe with a little digging around I might be able to find the answer to that one. As it is, I'm quite partial to the ETL SB, and think even it shames Blanton's.

> P.S. - Loved ya in "Ruthless People". Just remember, you gotta have friends!

If I had more friends I wouldn't be slumming it on a sit-com this fall.

Bette Midler (as...The Ringmaster)

The Old St. Nick is Evan's whiskey(most likely Heaven Hill).I used to bottle that for sale to my customer in Japan. Evan sells Old St, Nick in Japan. Maybe here now.

The Daniel Stewart may be his also. I've never heard of that one. I'll ask around.

Julian

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John,

The Father Christmas taboo is part of the same package of self regulations that the industry designed just after prohibition to keep the government from stepping in and setting the regulations. There are others and some of them have been put aside by the industry. These include advertising spirits on radio (later to include television), using women in advertising and anything that would appeal to small children. Glenmore was the first company to put women back into advertisements in the late 1950's. Seagram's is playing around with the idea of televsion and radio advertisements since the mid 1990's. I don't think they will break the Father Christmas / Small children taboo. The cigarette industry has taught them better than that!

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.