"neat" vs. "straight", vs. "on the rocks"

Randy_Ricchi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oftentimes in a bar or restaurant I will order a bourbon "straight" or "neat", which I assume to be interchangeable, and I will get bourbon on the rocks, while I am expecting a glass with nothing but bourbon in it.

I know "neat" means no rocks, no nothing, but could "straight" honestly allow for just bourbon, but with ice?

I was at my local bar the other night and order WT101 neat and the bartender who I thought was knowledgeable said I don't know what that means.

I always order neat.

75% of the time they know what that means

30 % of the time I have to explain that neat meand "out of the bottle and into the glass"

5% of the time I get a "chilled" (shaken with ice then drained off)

I always order neat.

75% of the time they know what that means

30 % of the time I have to explain that neat meand "out of the bottle and into the glass"

5% of the time I get a "chilled" (shaken with ice then drained off)

Wow, 110%.

Both "straight" and "neat" get me room tempurature bourbon in a glass here in Japan. "Straight up" always gets me shaken with ice then drained off.

The only way I am ever able to predict what I am going to get is if I order "neat" and speak very very clearly. If I do anything else, it's anyone's guess how the bartender might serve me. Usually the mistake they make is to serve it in a shot glass, but I have gotten rocks on occasion.

I will sip out of a shot glass, but I send it back if it comes on the rocks.

My mom's maiden name is Neat, and they called her grandfather (her father's father) "Pappy Neat". Is that my great-grandpa?

Usually if I order a quality bourbon, my bartender asks me, "Neat?" because they know how it should be served. In New England instead of "straight", I tend to hear "up" although typically used to describe a mixed drink (manhattan, martini) which may explain the strained ice.

In Europe and Korea where drinking is a national sport of the common man I have never been able to communicate my desire to be served a premium bourbon or scotch in the proper glass without ice. Usually, I follow the waitress to the bar and provide an entertaining dissertation on the proper serving and then the bartender hands the waitress a rocks glass with lots of ice and a carefully measured dram of whisky. The waitress then turns and hands me the glass of fouled nectar with a puzzled look on her face as if I may be the very first neanderthal man she has ever served. If she's really cute and has good cleavage then I smile and go sit down. If not, then I just go sit down.

..... as if I may be the very first neanderthal man she has ever served.

I know that look............:grin:

I think it was Chuck Cowdery who pointed out to me that neat means undiluted and without ice and straight means whiskey is combined with water or possibly ice. Prior to that I did not really discern the difference in the terms. Of course on the rocks means the spirit is poured on ice, and the types of ice can vary - shaved ice being commonly served in lieu of the literal rocks - but the ability today to specify ice type in a restaurant or bar is probably minimal or nil. I think generally a "rocks" order is taken to mean without addition of water or soda. The drinker can specify either if one is wanted.

Gary

Depending on where I am in the states, I have to say "on ice' or "the rocks", "neat" or "plain" or "strait up" or "with nothing".

I find that when I say "on ice" everyone knows what I mean, but the old school gives me crap and says "you mean on the rocks".

each area has their own speak, but when in doubt, I go with the most basic.

"Please give me a pappy 23yr with nothing in it".

I never let them hose up a good bourbon... for a JB Black, I say "give me the beam black neat".... who cares what they do to that one :D

Here in most parts of Alabama when you order neat it's poured straight into the glass.If you order it straight it's chilled and poured into a glass.

That's a good point about pouring cold into the glass, often (it would be) after mixing with ice first, and I've heard that termed "straight up", or just "up", but not straight alone. Maybe straight though doesn't extend as far as mixing with water, soda or ice. I'd be interested in Chuck's comment as to how he understands that term exactly.

Gary

Here in most parts of Alabama .
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Another 'Bama member, welcome.

There are at least 4 from the Heart Of Dixie here, I am one in exile.

I too drink it neat and have had to explain to the bartender what that meant....But I also drink it "neat with a side kicker of diet coke". That gives them some place else to put the ice and they usually get it right that way.

Is a side kicker sacrilege here? :skep:

Steve

Nope.

It's your money and your bourbon, so drink it how you like it best.

Another 'Bama member, welcome.

There are at least 4 from the Heart Of Dixie here, I am one in exile.

I was at my local bar the other night and order WT101 neat and the bartender who I thought was knowledgeable said I don't know what that means.

I have found that (truly) knowledgeable bartenders are a rapidly vanishing species.

Is a side kicker sacrilege here? :skep:

Not the side kicker, but the Diet Coke is. At least, to me. :skep:

Tim

I have found that (truly) knowledgeable bartenders are a rapidly vanishing species.

Sad, but true. However, if you order a chocolate raspberry "martini", they will be all over it. Just don't expect them to understand anything about traditional bar methods. :smiley_acbt:

Tim

Sad, but true. However, if you order a chocolate raspberry "martini", they will be all over it.

:slappin:

Like you said Tim, sad but true.

Ya hafta laugh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.