Seagram's Lawrenceburg, Ind.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I don't remember where the discussion about whether bourbon and rye were being made at the Seagram's Indiana distillery so I will post my information here. I had lunch with Ed Foote (retired Master Distiller from Stitzel-Weller and Seagram's) and he told me that the Lawrenceburg, Indiana distillery did have more than one still and did make bourbons and ryes there as well as neutral spirits. As a matter of fact he told me it took a series of five stills to make the neutral spirits and that operation was seperate from there normal distilling operations at the plant.

Mike Veach

Mike, I had asked if any bourbon was distilled outside of Ky, and I did specifically ask about Lawrenceburg. Thanks for following up. To me that is more significant than the decanter filler in St. Louis or some other small operation elsewhere. In this case a major distiller is distilling bourbon & I would assume in some reasonable volume outside of Ky. according to your source. thanks, Greg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg,

Ed did say that they made bourbon and rye at the Indiana distillery but he also said 100% of the production was for the Seagram's blends. They do not offer any of it for sale as a straight bourbon or rye to his knowledge. Ed still has lunch with many of his friends from Seagram's so he is pretty up to date on his information.

Mike

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike,

Thanks for the info. For me a bigger mistery than 'what they make in Lawrenceburg' is why they do not market some of these constituants seperately.

Also, It is interesting to note that five distillation columns are used for neutral spirits, presumably in a series arangement. This type of an elaborate distillation train would allow fractionation and removal of some of the light componets (ie, throwing away the heads) while still maintaining a continuous operation. The next time I am able to get to Bardstown I would like to buy Ed a drink, or two (and steak dinner, and desert.......)

Mark A. Mason, El Dorado, Arkansas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.